Guess the 9:00 start not a huge hit? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guess the 9:00 start not a huge hit?

Reaction Score
Not a huge attendance but the students really brought it in the second half. Half of them were losing their minds in the final 6 minutes.
Yep student section was very small in numbers but those that were there were making a ton of noise

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It was a morgue till halfway through the second half. Came through in the clutch though.

Reaction Score
I sat up in the 2nd tier in the first half then made my way down to right behind the Memphis bench for the 2nd half. We got a little rowdy during the comeback and stood and yelled for the last 3-4 minutes. That was fun and I'll take full credit for the W.

Reaction Score
9:00? I have better things to do, like get some sleep for the next day ahead. I'll watch the rerun...

Reaction Score
Fun game.....great (smaller) crowd....I'm glad I went and took today off. Lots of time for dinner and drinks before the game...Even in the grand scheme of things and 28 years of season tix at the HCC/XL....I'll always remember this one. Tough season....but great heart from these kids.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
FWIW, the crowd looked good on TV. There were a few shots where it looked sparse but I wouldn't have guessed attendance was that low. There's no spinning it though that's not a good number for the XL against a decent opponent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This thread is full misinformation. Just for the record, the size of the crowd wasn't that bad. The lower bowl was pretty much filled. This game isn't getting close to 9,300 in Storrs.
The was no mass exodus of people during the game. I didn't see anyone pack up early.
The students didn't get the crowd going, the crowd noise built organically and the students took part. And the crowd got going before UConn did, spending a lot of the last 10 minutes on their feet getting very loud on defense.
Anyone who says the XL Center doesn't provide a home court advantage doesn't have a factual agenda.

Reaction Score
This thread is full misinformation. Just for the record, the size of the crowd wasn't that bad. The lower bowl was pretty much filled. This game isn't getting close to 9,300 in Storrs.
The was no mass exodus of people during the game. I didn't see anyone pack up early.
The students didn't get the crowd going, the crowd noise built organically and the students took part. And the crowd got going before UConn did, spending a lot of the last 10 minutes on their feet getting very loud on defense.
Anyone who says the XL Center doesn't provide a home court advantage doesn't have a factual agenda.

the size of the crowd for a supposed "name" program conference opponent was godawful. Attendance in general has been off-the-cliff this year. The noise comments you make are factual.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Let's move them all to Gampel where we are getting 6,000ish for 7:00 tips. Makes sense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the game is going to end up on ESPN2, you can forgive the 9 pm start. ESPN doesn't give a f--- about the AAC, so 7 pm prime spots are not happening most of the time.

But the conference needs to stop jackassing with UConn's scheduling in general. They're killing ticket sales and season ticket holders grubbing for pennies by letting UConn play awful days and times.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Agreed. That ECU gametime was shocking.

Even with all the crappy gametimes, opponents, and down year. We will still average 8900ish. In line with Notre Dame, Villanova, Clemson, Georgetown types. Right around 50th nationally.

Next year with the improved play and hopefully not against the Pats and the Super Bowl, we can get back to 10, 500ish for the season

Reaction Score
Does everyone in CT have a strict 11pm bed time? Jeez.

(Obligatory complaint about the crowd from someone out of the state).
Some people DO have to get up early and 11 is kind of late for those people. I teach, I need to get up at 6 am and I try to get to school by 7:45. Why do you seem to be so judgemental?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Some people DO have to get up early and 11 is kind of late for those people. I teach, I need to get up at 6 am and I try to get to school by 7:45. Why do you seem to be so judgemental?

Our 12-year old gets up at 5:40 am to get on her school bus at 6:30 am. My wife is up at 5 am to be at work at 7 am.

We're out of state and the round trip is about five or six hours, so weekday games are not possible - that's our unique problem. The killer for us is the Sunday evening games - that's basically turning a weekend home game into a weeknight game.

Reaction Score
If the game is going to end up on ESPN2, you can forgive the 9 pm start. ESPN doesn't give a f--- about the AAC, so 7 pm prime spots are not happening most of the time.

But the conference needs to stop jackassing with UConn's scheduling in general. They're killing ticket sales and season ticket holders grubbing for pennies by letting UConn play awful days and times.

by my count there's been six home games with godawful " our fans" start times:

Friday 12/23 - 2:30
Wednesday 12/28 - 3:00
Sunday 1/8 - 5:00
Wednesday 1/11 - 9:00
Sunday 1/22 - 6:00
Thursday 2/16 - 9:00

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Said in jest, trying to avoid all judgments on bedtimes.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Agreed crowd looked fine. You could tell there was no one on the upper baseline during free throws but oh well.

Reaction Score
Crappy start time for a midweek game and there is no doubt it hurts the gate. Also no doubt it was dictated by tv. But espn and by extension all the schools stopped giving a sheet about the fans long ago. That said it was pretty tough to get excited down 15 but the crowd really seemed to want to get into it. As waquoit said it grew organically. And at the end was really really loud. Oh and I thought the pogo stick guys were interesting. Not great but kind of cool in a limited way.

Reaction Score
The late game crowds at xl are usually more lively as there are an extra 2 hours to pregame at the various establishments around the arena.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom