Guess Bill Raftery's favorite games he's called... | The Boneyard

Guess Bill Raftery's favorite games he's called...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good News: Both UConn games!
Bad News: Syracuse 6 OT and his number 1 was some upset from the 2006 tournament.
Via Richard Deitsch podcast interview.

If he still worked for ESPN I think the conspiracy theorists would go nuts. But since its Raf and we know he loves us & really all of college basketball its just a funny coincidence. Took Onions, double order to say it though.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Raf is my all time favorite college announcer. The borderline indecipherable catch phrases like "man to man!" Or "onion" he says at the beginning of every game always make me chuckle without fail.

Also it's pretty clear the guy loves UConn, he always has good things to say about the program and our guys.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So his two favorite games are UConn gut punch losses? He's dead to me.

In fairness, he's probably half in the bag at most games. And from what I here, he could drink every single person on this board under the table. A friend saw Raf posted up at the bar after a game in NY, sat down, and talked basketball for a few hours. Raf apparently held court all night and was a great guy to boot.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Listen to Raftery on the Rip buzzer beater in 98 vs. Washington. The absolute delight he takes in that moment is part of what makes it so awesome. "Terrific ... youthful ... exuberance!"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Lingerie on the deck is one of the best lines ever!

Reaction Score
To a neutral person, the George Mason game was entertaining - I sort of wish we just wilted and lost by five or six in regulation instead of making it so dramatic. But that team was probably destined to flame out in a cloud of dust one way or another. If not to Albany or Washington...

I maintain to this day, and I would have even if we won, that the 6OT game was really dreadful basketball (in the overtimes, anyway). They sat in the zone and we just passed it around until we set a high screen for AJ Price at the end of the shot clock. Then we would just funnel everyone towards Thabeet, and Flynn and Harris would take turns trying to make 10-foot runners over him. You'd find pick up games with greater sophistication of basketball. The 4OT game with Cincy was more exciting with the shots being made - the difficult layup from Adams to force the third overtime is almost forgotten.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Raf is my all time favorite college announcer. The borderline indecipherable catch phrases like "man to man!" Or "onion" he says at the beginning of every game always make me chuckle without fail.

Also it's pretty clear the guy loves UConn, he always has good things to say about the program and our guys.
Someone preparing for a jump shot "he's got the puppies lined up"

Reaction Score
Losing to Cuse in 6 OT's was painful; but, that was an epic game from start to finish and a once in lifetime event (I was there). No shame in that game.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I maintain to this day, and I would have even if we won, that the 6OT game was really dreadful basketball (in the overtimes, anyway). They sat in the zone and we just passed it around until we set a high screen for AJ Price at the end of the shot clock. Then we would just funnel everyone towards Thabeet, and Flynn and Harris would take turns trying to make 10-foot runners over him. You'd find pick up games with greater sophistication of basketball. The 4OT game with Cincy was more exciting with the shots being made - the difficult layup from Adams to force the third overtime is almost forgotten.
1000% agree.

Reaction Score
The 6OT game is a classic much like a 20-inning baseball game is a classic regardless of what happened or the quality it is simply amazing that it keeps going on - everyone ends up being collectively amazed & that buzz of excitement lifts the game regardless of the quality or the plays that keep extending the game.

Likewise I take the 06 game as a backhanded compliment, its not memorable if its not an unexpected upset of a good team and top program.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
To a neutral person, the George Mason game was entertaining - I sort of wish we just wilted and lost by five or six in regulation instead of making it so dramatic. But that team was probably destined to flame out in a cloud of dust one way or another. If not to Albany or Washington...

George Mason? Don't know that guy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I've thought the same. What you can say about the 6OT game: it was long.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My favorite Raf call of all time...

Jeremy Lamb with a tomahawk against Columbia at Gampel. Watching the replay, as JL got high enough where, ahem, certain body parts are in the defender's face, and Raf yells out...

"cock that baby!!!!"

I almost fell off my chair laughing. He is a treasure.

Reaction Score
Not Raf's fault we lost those games.

Besides the 4 OT Cinny game took a lot of pain away from the 6 OT loss.
I know, we were there, and that's exactly what I said to my kids afterwards!

C

Chief00

I saw him pick up the bar tab for the whole CBS crew. Not sure if he could expense it or not - but the crew seemed grateful and apparently that's a list game routine.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Raf might as well be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. Absolute legend.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I saw him pick up the bar tab for the whole CBS crew. Not sure if he could expense it or not - but the crew seemed grateful and apparently that's a list game routine.
Raf's exploits as a drinker reaches legend status and from what I've heard it would not be close to the first time he took care of a very large tab out of his own pocket

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
"The Governor"! He's Mr. New Jersey. I believe he could run for Governor of NJ and win. He's virtually impossible not to like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom