Guard depth next year....should I be concerned...worried? | The Boneyard

Guard depth next year....should I be concerned...worried?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Crystal starts at point. Off-guard....I do think Christyn has a chance to start at Jump
Ball #1 if she buys what Geno will be demanding in terms of effort and defense.

Other contenders: Megan...I expect improvement for sure....but I view her as a more a three.
Mikayla: I fully 'expected' her to be the first guard off the bench this year. Next year...I 'hope'
that is the case...first off the bench or start. Most important...be healthy...overall a huge question mark imo.
Molly only other true guard. Against AAC opposition with the talent surrounding her...she'll be fine.
Against elite teams???

One other possibility: With our front court depth at the 3-4-5...might Lou play some guard?
Her defense against really quick guards might be a problem....but her assets would overshadow that.
Great trey shooting...pretty good handle....excellent assist to TO ratio [around 3-1]. With her height...pass over her defender/shoot over same. We know she has expanded her game to be more effective inside....maybe she works on guard skills over the summer to best help the team?

I would just hate to prematurely panic without good cause. What say you?

Reaction Score
Registered's corollary to Alec Baldwin's "Glengarry, Glen Ross" ABC maxim: Always Ne Closing.

"Always Be Worried."

Reaction Score
I think we're all hoping that Megan makes the kind of sophomore leap that Crystal did, the kind that you often see among our players who go on to become really good.

Speaking of Crystal, between her and a couple of others, the back court should be in good shape for next year. What I'm most worried about is the loss of Kia and Gabby, their intangibles, and what they bring to the team on defense. Simply put, these two players are irreplaceable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crystal starts at point. Off-guard....I do think Christyn has a chance to start at Jump

Other contenders: Megan...I expect improvement for sure....but I view her as a more a three.
Mikayla: I fully 'expected' her to be the first guard off the bench this year. Next year...I 'hope'
that is the case...first off the bench or start. Most important...be healthy...overall a huge question mark imo.

Feel free to panic although if the trainers can figure out a way to manage Crystal's shin splints I think all will be OK.................we've been positively spoiled with Kia who's been solid as a rock from the guard position..............I have always believed that Christyn Williams will get playing time and she can handle the ball although not a point guard..............Coombs is a major question mark for next year............period................that's why UConn has shown interest in Leilani Correa in 2019 as a stop gap until the cavalry arrives in 2020............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The starting lineup at the beginning of the season will likely be Lou, Pheesa, Z, Crystal & Megan. I see MW as a wing. Obviously, Crystal will run the show at the point. I see Lou as the 2 guard. Beyond that, hopefully Mikayla completely recovers from DVT, and is ready to play significant minutes off the bench. I do expect CW to work into the rotation next year. It would be nice to get some consistent minutes from Molly, but that remains to be seen,

One of the big advantages for UConn is that everyone can handle the ball. Geno does not need to be locked in to a traditional 2-3 guard offense like just about every other team in WBB. Think about the match up problems that Lou will cause when she posts up against a 5'9" opposing guard.

The one issue that creates some concern is the defensive matchup against a really talented 2-guard like Asia Durr. Somehow, I think Geno will figure it out.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The starting lineup at the beginning of the season will likely be Lou, Pheesa, Z, Crystal & Megan. I see MW as a wing. Obviously, Crystal will run the show at the point. I see Lou as the 2 guard. Beyond that, hopefully Mikayla completely recovers from DVT, and is ready to play significant minutes off the bench. I do expect CW to work into the rotation next year. It would be nice to get some consistent minutes from Molly, but that remains to be seen,

One of the big advantages for UConn is that everyone can handle the ball. Geno does not need to be locked in to a traditional 2-3 guard offense like just about every other team in WBB. Think about the match up problems that Lou will cause when she posts up against a 5'9" opposing guard.

The one issue that creates some concern is the defensive matchup against a really talented 2-guard like Asia Durr. Somehow, I think Geno will figure it out.

Defense in general will be a big issue with our 2 most stellar defenders graduating. Will be very curious to see who steps up to the challenge.

Reaction Score
I hope that Molly might reach a better level next year. I recently rewatched the first game from last year and she came in as part of a general rotation, this was prior to shaking out how the team would work and when we all expected to see a growing year. She played with a confident manner that we haven’t seen again because I think she took the talent discrepancy too much to heart after that point.

Reaction Score

Agree with everything. I don't see Molly ever playing meaningful minutes. Great teammate, but just lacks talent. I think MW is going to be be outstanding. She is quietly making a jump right now that few are noticing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Molly only other true guard. Against AAC opposition with the talent surrounding her...she'll be fine.
Against elite teams???

One other possibility: With our front court depth at the 3-4-5...might Lou play some guard?
Her defense against really quick guards might be a problem....but her assets would overshadow that.
Great trey shooting...pretty good handle....excellent assist to TO ratio [around 3-1]. With her height...pass over her defender/shoot over same. We know she has expanded her game to be more effective inside....maybe she works on guard skills over the summer to best help the team?

Don't panic. I don't see Megan in the "guard" mix for UCONN next year more small forward and some PF. Megan has the same perimeter defense deficiencies as KLS did as a Freshmen, but Megan is without the offensive fire power that would buy her time to correct the deficiencies that KLS has clearly overcome. Megan is also not picked up the UCONN offense as quickly as some would have hope & changing her position is not going to help with that learning curve. On the positive side Megan is a good defender the closer you have her to the basket.
I see a three guard UCONN rotation next year of KLS, Crystal, and Christyn. This is pretty much the same as UCONN has this year and includes a current AA ,two future AAs and future POY or two or three. I hope you are right about Mikayla emerging but this latest injury and her unreliable jump shot would need to be corrected. Molly is going to be a junior, she has missed out on the sophomore leap train that is pretty standard for UCONN contributors. It is entirely possible that Molly could catch a Junior leap train but I would not count on it. You did not mention Lexi Gordon, Lexi' Sophomore leap train arrives this fall, if she can jump on board she will be able to contribute as a Guard/SF. Also on the positive side, you hardly ever have to encourage Lexi to shoot the ball.
One last thought, keep in mind that new transfer rules are on the way (due in June 2018) that could make it easier for kids to transfer and be immediately eligible.

HGN

Reaction Score
Agree with everything. I don't see Molly ever playing meaningful minutes. Great teammate, but just lacks talent. I think MW is going to be be outstanding. She is quietly making a jump right now that few are noticing.
Scuba, I see Molly as a good player to give the starter some rest. Maybe no Chrystyn Williams , but a good player to give a few minutes to starters. Obviously, she has
strong work ethic in the classroom and in practice. The one thing lacking is confidence. A little dose of confidence and she would be a different player.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
woe there scuba! I saw significant confidence against SC when she came in, she was aggressive, looking for her shot first and then passing even with the starters. She wasn't scrambling as much on defense as she usually did. As noted above, the 5 mentioned all handle the ball well, pass exceptionally-even Pheesa, so adding in Coombs and CW should provide the depth should Crystal Dangerfield or KLS have a recurrence of injuries.

Reaction Score
woe there scuba! I saw significant confidence against SC when she came in, she was aggressive, looking for her shot first and then passing even with the starters. She wasn't scrambling as much on defense as she usually did. As noted above, the 5 mentioned all handle the ball well, pass exceptionally-even Pheesa, so adding in Coombs and CW should provide the depth should Crystal Dangerfield or KLS have a recurrence of injuries.
Not sure I understand ? I'm saying MW is going to be a factor next season , as I've seen great improvement on both sides of the ball. So I'm confused by your statement ?

Reaction Score
Scuba, I see Molly as a good player to give the starter some rest. Maybe no Chrystyn Williams , but a good player to give a few minutes to starters. Obviously, she has
strong work ethic in the classroom and in practice. The one thing lacking is confidence. A little dose of confidence and she would be a different player.
I just don't see Molly as moving ahead of CW or Coombs on the depth chart at this stage of the game.

Reaction Score
Feel free to panic although if the trainers can figure out a way to manage Crystal's shin splints I think all will be OK.......we've been positively spoiled with Kia who's been solid as a rock from the guard position....I have always believed that Christyn Williams will get playing time and she can handle the ball although not a point guard....Coombs is a major question mark for next year..period......that's why UConn has shown interest in Leilani Correa in 2019 as a stop gap until the cavalry arrives in 2020..
I think you are spot on. As always, UConn can figure out a way to work around the guard situation, but only if Crystal can stay healthy. Interesting thought-would Geno entertain a good ball handling, defensive minded guard transferring in? More than enough offense on next year's team but other than Crystal no proven traditional point guard.

Reaction Score
Next season's starters are going to be Crystal, Lou, Megan, Collier, and Z. Geno doesn't really have any other choice. He's not going to start freshmen because he prefers not to. Not even Maya Moore started as a freshman. Don't see Coombs going from 9th man to starter, and Kyla, Molly, and Lexi have a 0.0% chance of starting except on Senior Day.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not everyone makes a sophomore leap, and not everyone who doesn't becomes a garbage-time player for the rest of their UConn career. Saniya Chong didn't really get in the mix until her senior year, but she certainly acquitted herself very well then (never mind the last 12 seconds of her college career -- and by the way, I wish Geno would quit talking about how that play was "botched").

I don't think Molly's problem has ever been with physical talent. She is not as fast as Crystal, but compared to "normal" college guards, even on Top 25 teams, she is plenty fast enough. Her shooting form is excellent. Despite her academic achievements, her problems on the basketball court are mainly mental -- starting with a reluctance to shoot when she is open. That light bulb can go on for her at any time, and then she will be ready for significant minutes.

I still don't understand those who complain about her supposed lack of athleticism or physical talent, and the numerous people on the Boneyard who make those complaints never explain themselves by offering any specifics. I think it is increasingly clear that her only real problem in basketball lies "above the shoulders".

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Next season's starters are going to be Crystal, Lou, Megan, Collier, and Z. Geno doesn't really have any other choice. He's not going to start freshmen because he prefers not to.

This again -- ugh! Some people will never imagine that Geno's coaching history goes back more than a year or two. Renee Montgomery, Caroline Doty, Stef Dolson, and (usually) Bria Hartley all started as freshmen. Napheesa started a number of games as a freshman, and KLS started the whole second half of the season as a freshman. Maya Moore started every game after Kalana Greene got injured, i.e., the last three quarters of her freshman year. And Kia Nurse started in her third game as a freshman, and has never been out of the starting lineup since then.

If Christyn Williams is as responsive to Geno's coaching as any of those named above, the 2-guard spot is hers for the taking.

Reaction Score
Summary of the posts above (1-19):

1. Megan Walker has been a disappointment this season. She is now an unknown factor next season.

2. Coombes is a slightly bigger disappointment than Megan. She is now a slightly more unknown factor next season .

3. Molly Bent has improved insufficiently for us to rely on her next season.

4. Lexi Gordon has not fired the imagination of the fans as a player. The posters' silence speaks volumes about her.

5. CW is the heavy favorite to step up and play next season. Let's hope she does.

Walker was the top recruit in 2017-18. Coombes and Gordon were among the top 30 players listed on HoopGurlz.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This again -- ugh! Some people will never imagine that Geno's coaching history goes back more than a year or two. Renee Montgomery, Caroline Doty, Stef Dolson, and (usually) Bria Hartley all started as freshmen. Napheesa started a number of games as a freshman, and KLS started the whole second half of the season as a freshman. Maya Moore started every game after Kalana Greene got injured, i.e., the last three quarters of her freshman year. And Kia Nurse started in her third game as a freshman, and has never been out of the starting lineup since then.

If Christyn Williams is as responsive to Geno's coaching as any of those named above, the 2-guard spot is hers for the taking.
I think the general consensus is that "Geno never starts freshmen - UNLESS HE HAS TO"...

Renee HAD to start because 2 years earlier Sherwood, Robinson and Wright all transferred out. He started Ann, Barb, Charde, Mel and Renee, who possibly as a freshman was better than Swanier (who literally could NOT shoot the 3 ball) but I don't recall.

He started Dolson because Tina had just graduated and there was literally no one on the team over 6' tall except Heather Buck. Caroline started because at that time he had Renee, Tina, Kalana, and Maya. The rest of the team consisted of Cassie Kerns, Tahirah Williams, Kaili McLaren, Megan Gardler, Jacquie Fernandez, and Lorin Dixon (plus the other freshmen in Caroline's class). If you look at that list and need a guard, it wasn't going to be Tahirah, Jacquie or Lorin.

It's possible Christyn starts, but that would mean Megan had no improvement over the summer and Mikayla is either injured, lacked improvement, or for other reasons is not ready to go.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand ? I'm saying MW is going to be a factor next season , as I've seen great improvement on both sides of the ball. So I'm confused by your statement ?
I was just saying I am on board with you on this so not everyone has ignored this...that's all

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom