Guard depth next year....should I be concerned...worried? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guard depth next year....should I be concerned...worried?

Reaction Score
Agree with everything. I don't see Molly ever playing meaningful minutes. Great teammate, but just lacks talent. I think MW is going to be be outstanding. She is quietly making a jump right now that few are noticing.
If it's not noticeable, is it significant?

HGN

Reaction Score

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Not everyone makes a sophomore leap, and not everyone who doesn't becomes a garbage-time player for the rest of their UConn career. Saniya Chong didn't really get in the mix until her senior year, but she certainly acquitted herself very well then (never mind the last 12 seconds of her college career -- and by the way, I wish Geno would quit talking about how that play was "botched").

I don't think Molly's problem has ever been with physical talent. She is not as fast as Crystal, but compared to "normal" college guards, even on Top 25 teams, she is plenty fast enough. Her shooting form is excellent. Despite her academic achievements, her problems on the basketball court are mainly mental -- starting with a reluctance to shoot when she is open. That light bulb can go on for her at any time, and then she will be ready for significant minutes.

I still don't understand those who complain about her supposed lack of athleticism or physical talent, and the numerous people on the Boneyard who make those complaints never explain themselves by offering any specifics. I think it is increasingly clear that her only real problem in basketball lies "above the shoulders".
I agree wholeheartedly except I would clarify the the “above the shoulders” is reflected in a lack of confidence that diminishes aggressive play rather than an intellectual capacity to grasp the program requirements.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If it's not noticeable, is it significant?
Well, it is noticeable, just wasn't talked about during the game on tv but was in the chat, not necessarily in the post-game thread, but look at her minutes with the starters on Monday-Geno must have seen something to have her play that much. One of the hiccups we have here is trying to "slot" each top player into another exact copy-in this case, we try to slot MW with KLS in their freshman years. In KLS's freshman year, she was the #4 option on offense a key but secondary part; that of an outside shooter to compliment Tuck's inside game, Stewie's all everything game, Moriah's slashing, stealing, dishing and occasional spot-3.

MW didn't have or doesn't have a specific role to fill per se' like that. She is a very good rebounder and much better on defense than KLS was. She is the 7th option on offense, which is a significant aspect. Mostly because the 1st 4 are phenomenal, the next 2 are very, very good. So it's not like she's not good or not developing, it's just by comparison, she looks far behind.

Reaction Score
I just love the professional demeanor CW brings so I have no doubt she will get it quick and be playing 15-18 minutes a game with early game time minutes soon into the season.

Reaction Score
The reason I think williams will start is the same reason Doty got the start over Hayes back in 2008-2009, Williams will fit the starting line up better then Walker. I think Walker can be Gabby Williams like stick it out and then have 2 All American seasons as a jr and Sr. Right now the center is leading the team in assists because she had guard skills, Z had guard skills while at Duke, but hasn’t displayed that ability here at Uconn. Losing Gabby and Kia and replacing them with Walker and Z you lose a lot of ball handling. I think Lou will have to play a tone of minutes because she will start games at the 3, but move to the 2 guard often, Walker should get minutes backing up the 2 All American Seniors. Starting Christyn will give the team scoring, ball handling, and a player who can make plays for herself and others.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Can we get #12 before we worry about next year?
Plenty of options next year...CW and MW can be off guards and Coombs can be back up point.
Agreed, these types of threads are what we do in the "off season".
Plus someone might transfer in and the rumor is that they will have immediate eligibility, but I am not sure if this will be the case.

Reaction Score
Agreed, these types of threads are what we do in the "off season".
Plus someone might transfer in and the rumor is that they will have immediate eligibility, but I am not sure if this will be the case.
Couldn't agree more... this needs to be saved for a rousing discussion over the summer months when we're all dying to talk UConn WBB... NOT the day before the National Semi-Final Game. :confused:

Geno (and Staff) and the Team are focused on Friday's Game and nothing else. We should be too.;):cool:

Besides... it doesn't really matter what we on the BY think... the decisions regarding who starts next year will be made by Geno and Staff... and not until November. Remember the LIVELY discussions whether this season's 5th starter would be Z or Danger??? lots of opinions on that issue...and we know how that turned out. Head bang

That said...Meg will be a contributor to UConn next season!!! Freshmen have started in the past and done well (Kia, KLS, Stewie, etc...) maybe not from day 1, but as the season wore on.

BUT...Let's get focused on Tomorrow ...and see what happens next.!!!:D:D:D

Just My Humble Opinion.

Reaction Score
Crystal starts at point. Off-guard....I do think Christyn has a chance to start at Jump
Ball #1 if she buys what Geno will be demanding in terms of effort and defense.

Other contenders: Megan...I expect improvement for sure....but I view her as a more a three.
Mikayla: I fully 'expected' her to be the first guard off the bench this year. Next year...I 'hope'
that is the case...first off the bench or start. Most important...be healthy...overall a huge question mark imo.
Molly only other true guard. Against AAC opposition with the talent surrounding her...she'll be fine.
Against elite teams???

One other possibility: With our front court depth at the 3-4-5...might Lou play some guard?
Her defense against really quick guards might be a problem....but her assets would overshadow that.
Great trey shooting...pretty good handle....excellent assist to TO ratio [around 3-1]. With her height...pass over her defender/shoot over same. We know she has expanded her game to be more effective inside....maybe she works on guard skills over the summer to best help the team?

I would just hate to prematurely panic without good cause. What say you?
Hey Blake relax, people panicked and everyone said the same thing when Bird, Williams, Cash, and Jones all graduated leaving Diana to shepherd a bunch of Freshman, and look what they did. Katie Lou is next year's Diana and Geno will find a way, he is not in the HOF because he looks like Frankie Avalon.

Reaction Score
Crystal starts at point. Off-guard....I do think Christyn has a chance to start at Jump
Ball #1 if she buys what Geno will be demanding in terms of effort and defense.

Other contenders: Megan...I expect improvement for sure....but I view her as a more a three.
Mikayla: I fully 'expected' her to be the first guard off the bench this year. Next year...I 'hope'
that is the case...first off the bench or start. Most important...be healthy...overall a huge question mark imo.
Molly only other true guard. Against AAC opposition with the talent surrounding her...she'll be fine.
Against elite teams???

One other possibility: With our front court depth at the 3-4-5...might Lou play some guard?
Her defense against really quick guards might be a problem....but her assets would overshadow that.
Great trey shooting...pretty good handle....excellent assist to TO ratio [around 3-1]. With her height...pass over her defender/shoot over same. We know she has expanded her game to be more effective inside....maybe she works on guard skills over the summer to best help the team?

I would just hate to prematurely panic without good cause. What say you?
There is plenty of reason to worry. We will have a really good core five ( assuming that Walker ) totally " gets it " by then, but only one is a natural guard.

Molly is not the answer unless she changes completely over the summer. She remains a liability on offense...magically converting scoring opportunities into turnovers. The Williams recruit is a guard and she can shoot threes. My guess is that she knows nothing about playing defense, and will be in for a shock when she puts on the UCONN jersey. But that is what Geno and CD teach. For Uconn to be great, it must start with relentless, non-fouling, effective defense. So, as the year progresses, she may become the answer. That still leaves no depth at the spot. Katy and Pheesa can both handle the ball well, as can Walker and Z. But none are natural guards. Despite this, the coaching staff will figure out a way to get maximum value out of the talent available.

I have no hope for Mykala.[ ] Her shot is not a threat; it is easily blocked and not accurate. If you watch the few she attempted, the ball begins at mid waist level, in her two hands, and is kind of " flicked ' toward the basket. There can be no accuracy in such an approach because her hands, eyes, the ball and the basket are not in alignment. I said, at the beginning of this season when I first saw her play, " that she will never make a three point shot at UCONN." I know this is a ludicrous statement, but we are " one year in" to her career, and she haas not converted a single three point shot.

Possibly, she is fast and can learn to secure the ball, pass well, and drive to the hoop when the lane is open. And it goes without saying that she must defend ferociously, or she won't play. But this makes a guard whose skill set, at the maximum, is 80%. I do hope I am wrong. But no one has really challenged the statement that her shot is ridiculous. I went out on a limb here, because I want people to rise up and prove me wrong ( not to simply say it ). I want her to be a great UCONN player, not a failure. But I have seen little to get excited about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Not everyone makes a sophomore leap, and not everyone who doesn't becomes a garbage-time player for the rest of their UConn career. Saniya Chong didn't really get in the mix until her senior year, but she certainly acquitted herself very well then (never mind the last 12 seconds of her college career -- and by the way, I wish Geno would quit talking about how that play was "botched").

I don't think Molly's problem has ever been with physical talent. She is not as fast as Crystal, but compared to "normal" college guards, even on Top 25 teams, she is plenty fast enough. Her shooting form is excellent. Despite her academic achievements, her problems on the basketball court are mainly mental -- starting with a reluctance to shoot when she is open. That light bulb can go on for her at any time, and then she will be ready for significant minutes.

I still don't understand those who complain about her supposed lack of athleticism or physical talent, and the numerous people on the Boneyard who make those complaints never explain themselves by offering any specifics. I think it is increasingly clear that her only real problem in basketball lies "above the shoulders".

Molly does appear to have plenty of athletic ability..............for her it's all between the ears which is extra strange considering she is super smart..............I suppose confidence or lack there of knows no IQ.................I bet if she was needed to start for a bunch of games she would settle in and be a perfectly good point guard

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This again -- ugh! Some people will never imagine that Geno's coaching history goes back more than a year or two. Renee Montgomery, Caroline Doty, Stef Dolson, and (usually) Bria Hartley all started as freshmen. Napheesa started a number of games as a freshman, and KLS started the whole second half of the season as a freshman. Maya Moore started every game after Kalana Greene got injured, i.e., the last three quarters of her freshman year. And Kia Nurse started in her third game as a freshman, and has never been out of the starting lineup since then.

If Christyn Williams is as responsive to Geno's coaching as any of those named above, the 2-guard spot is hers for the taking.
My Dad had a drinking buddy who was fond of saying "Irregardless of the God damn facts". I sometimes think he was a Boneyarder! :D

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Hey Blake relax, people panicked and everyone said the same thing when Bird, Williams, Cash, and Jones all graduated leaving Diana to shepherd a bunch of Freshman, and look what they did. Katie Lou is next year's Diana and Geno will find a way, he is not in the HOF because he looks like Frankie Avalon.
I always pictured Geno as more of a cross between Moondoggie and The Big Kahuna. With CD as the grown up Gidget! :cool:

Reaction Score
Hey BYarders we should be concerned at guard next year. Bent runs around like a chicken with head cut off. Who knows what Coombs can or can't do. As for MW she been an overated High School bust. GA keeps playing her because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. But folks he did. She could be looking a lot bench time and playing mop up minutes. She ain't the"Real Deal". Let's hope i'm wrong and for good luck Husky Fans this season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The reason I think williams will start is the same reason Doty got the start over Hayes back in 2008-2009, Williams will fit the starting line up better then Walker. I think Walker can be Gabby Williams like stick it out and then have 2 All American seasons as a jr and Sr. Right now the center is leading the team in assists because she had guard skills, Z had guard skills while at Duke, but hasn’t displayed that ability here at Uconn. Losing Gabby and Kia and replacing them with Walker and Z you lose a lot of ball handling. I think Lou will have to play a tone of minutes because she will start games at the 3, but move to the 2 guard often, Walker should get minutes backing up the 2 All American Seniors. Starting Christyn will give the team scoring, ball handling, and a player who can make plays for herself and others.

I seem to recall Megan was in this position last year, though we waited a bit after the NCAAs to start annointing her a starter. I'm going to wait it out on the side lines and poke at the bees nest now and then!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Hey BYarders we should be concerned at guard next year. Bent runs around like a chicken with head cut off. Who knows what Coombs can or can't do. As for MW she been an overated High School bust. GA keeps playing her because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. But folks he did. She could be looking a lot bench time and playing mop up minutes. She ain't the"Real Deal". Let's hope i'm wrong and for good luck Husky Fans this season.
Geez, that's pretty harsh. He made a mistake recruiting the #1 player in the class? I don't think Geno is the type to play someone because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. That makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Geez, that's pretty harsh. He made a mistake recruiting the #1 player in the class? I don't think Geno is the type to play someone because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. That makes no sense.
OK what ever you say and feel is fine with me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom