GT Hoyas coaches under investigation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

GT Hoyas coaches under investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I have coached at the AAU, HS, and college levels, have you ? Getting an AAU position is slightly easier than a D1 position. It also involves slightly less accountability too. That does not mean every AAU coach is abusive.

Do you have any evidence to support your claims ? or are you just paying attention to the national scene

LOL. Do you have any evidence to support your claims or do you make your rep on ignoring the implications of what you wrote? It was not about employment ease, it was about behavior. And I have read plenty, written plenty and interviewed plenty -- so I know more than the average bear about AAU coaches and high school coaches around the country.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
John, never anger one of the sow bear. Why do you think the boar sleep in the dog house instead of the den?

Reaction Score
LOL. Do you have any evidence to support your claims or do you make your rep on ignoring the implications of what you wrote? It was not about employment ease, it was about behavior. And I have read plenty, written plenty and interviewed plenty -- so I know more than the average bear about AAU coaches and high school coaches around the country.

Yogi you can read ? no way .......I guess the picnic baskets are safe for a few minutes

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Probably early to speculate but........let he who is without sin cast the first stone. This PC stuff may have gone too far.

If it is, as you say (and I agree), early to speculate, why then proceed to speculate that this is "PC stuff" that may have gone too far?

The OP's link provided no specifics about what, in the judgment of the Georgetown University administration, constitutes either "unprofessional conduct" or "inappropriate language." But it did use the term "misconduct" (alleged) which suggests something sufficiently serious to justify not only a formal investigation but placement of two coaches on administrative leave as it is conducted.

It doesn't look like "PC stuff" to me.

Reaction Score
As a alumni of G.U. I am frustrated with the administration & it's policies. Hiring a coach & associate who seem to find a ' sick chicken' in their midst & terrorizing her in ways to make her want to ' destroy herself'' is beyond comprehension. What does this say about their hiring policies at the University? This for me not only regards athletics but also scholastic hires!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
As a alumni of G.U. I am frustrated with the administration & it's policies. Hiring a coach & associate who seem to find a ' sick chicken' in their midst & terrorizing her in ways to make her want to ' destroy herself'' is beyond comprehension. What does this say about their hiring policies at the University? This for me not only regards athletics but also scholastic hires!

Artifact - if this is in fact an accurate reflection of what happened on the women's basketball team that led to the suspension, are you concerned that this is symptomatic of other Hoya athletics? Or is this possibly an isolated incident? Do you know if the coach and the assistant coach worked together before they came to GU?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Unimpressed with your broad brush. If you follow national girls basketball news, you'd know those being arrested are high school coaches....

Except of course for Lopez and Dixon. ;)

Reaction Score
Artifact - if this is in fact an accurate reflection of what happened on the women's basketball team that led to the suspension, are you concerned that this is symptomatic of other Hoya athletics? Or is this possibly an isolated incident? Do you know if the coach and the assistant coach worked together before they came to GU?
I am unaware, at this time, if this incident involves any other Hoya sport coaches with the same 'mind set'. I pray that it is isolated incident. I have no prior knowledge as if these two coaches involved, knew each other before. To me, it represents a spillover of what is occurring, in a large front, at how the University is being administered. We are talking about coaches here, but their is a huge problem with some of the radical professorial hires. Speaking for myself, & sad to say, it seems that everything in Washington, D.C. is going to he_ _!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just looking at the two posted links and with no knowledge of anything about the Georgetown athletic programs I have to say that a suicide attempt is not a balanced reaction to anything that happens in an athletic program (always excepting criminal attacks of physical and/or sexual nature and that does not appear to be the case here.) I am assuming that these two events are related and that the accusations originate from this. While the coaching staff may not have been supportive to this troubled person, when did we as a society designate coaches/teachers as the guardians of college age adults and their courses/programs as the support groups. College level athletics is a tough and competitive environment and one you must earn and not one that is a right. I agree that athletes deserve a nondiscriminatory program free of physical abuse, but to be competitive 'mental anguish' may come with the territory, just as failure to do good course work may lead to the mental anguish of highly critical comments, bad grades and expulsion. And the use of colorful language widespread in society and generally more so in physical occupations like athletics. The Rutgers situation was different in that it included physical abuse and language that goes well beyond 'colorful' to as I remember homophobic, etc.
I would have a different reaction with children's athletics, but by college, the athletes are supposedly adults less capable of intimidation and more capable of making life decisions.
We in this country have a mental health crisis and far too many childhood and young adult suicides and attempted suicides. And we have shifted responsibility from family, friends and medical professionals to teachers, coaches, administrators.
Now as more information comes out my assumptions may prove to be way off base. And a University or AD can choose to hire coaches and fire them based on any criteria, but if they want a good team, the program will be rigorous and demanding and athletes incapable of meeting those demands or who have personality clashes with the coaching staff will be dropped or transfer. Hopefully they will choose to find a program that better matches their commitment/skills or choose intramural sport.
As an aside, Walker recently left Uconn because of unhappiness with the 'program' that Geno runs. She was pretty miserable and transferred somewhere better for her. But she could have stuck around and made a formal complaint about Geno's language and demanding ways. Again - no idea if the GT situation goes far beyond that, but based on the links it might not. And if she had been mentally unstable, it might have lead to more critical life issues.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"As an aside, Walker recently left Uconn because of unhappiness with the 'program' that Geno runs."

UCMiami - I'm pretty sure that Walker left for other reasons.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"As an aside, Walker recently left Uconn because of unhappiness with the 'program' that Geno runs."

UCMiami - I'm pretty sure that Walker left for other reasons.
Yes, vtc, Walker left for reasons distinctly other than the basketball program.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes, vtc, Walker left for reasons distinctly other than the basketball program.
Yes and no - she was failing in terms of practice and was left off one of the road trips and I believe there was a complaint about not getting along with teammates - I got the sense that it was all rolled together.

Reaction Score
Nope, none of that was involved.

And you know that because .... ?

To my knowledge, no one really knows what happened with Samarie. The most common story I heard was that (a) she never really wanted to come to UConn, but did so because that's what her parents wanted, and (b) she wanted to be closer to her significant other. But there also was a fair amount of confusion about just what she wanted. To me, she seemed like a not-atypical lost teenager.

Nothing I ever heard makes me believe she had particular issues with Geno or her teammates.
That said, unless I'm missing some big parts of the story, I don't know why anyone would be sure what exactly did happen.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2011/1/2...rs-departure-from-uconn-leave-many-astonished

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
good points Vowel... people wanna use the girlfriend as an excuse cause it makes Samari look bad! others left but they "understood"

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorry - my earlier post 'aside' seems to have taken this off the original topic and the topic of my post. The aside was just to point out that different interpretations of the reasons players leave a program can exist and if it includes an attempted suicide and a complaint against a program people can pile on pretty quickly - and based on the complaints as reported so far, they do not seem to rise to the level of causing a 'stable' person to attempt suicide.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And you know that because .... ?

To my knowledge, no one really knows what happened with Samarie. The most common story I heard was that (a) she never really wanted to come to UConn, but did so because that's what her parents wanted, and (b) she wanted to be closer to her significant other. But there also was a fair amount of confusion about just what she wanted. To me, she seemed like a not-atypical lost teenager.

Nothing I ever heard makes me believe she had particular issues with Geno or her teammates.
That said, unless I'm missing some big parts of the story, I don't know why anyone would be sure what exactly did happen.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2011/1/2...rs-departure-from-uconn-leave-many-astonished
Any none of that is about the teammates, Geno, etc.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry - my earlier post 'aside' seems to have taken this off the original topic and the topic of my post. The aside was just to point out that different interpretations of the reasons players leave a program can exist and if it includes an attempted suicide and a complaint against a program people can pile on pretty quickly - and based on the complaints as reported so far, they do not seem to rise to the level of causing a 'stable' person to attempt suicide.
That is true. The reasons you gave surrounding Walker's departure from UCONN were not.

Reaction Score
Georgetown's head WBB Keith Brown resigned today

From the Washington Post

Reaction Score
Not knowing the entire involved circumstances, nevertheless, may their now be peace for the players on Georgetown's woman's basketball team!

Reaction Score
That is true. The reasons you gave surrounding Walker's departure from UCONN were not.

Are you a close personal friend of Ms Walker?
If not, then how do you know the reasons for her departure?

Most people, myself included, only know what was reported at the time (which wasnt much). Those may very well be correct. Or they may not.

Reaction Score
Georgetown's head WBB Keith Brown resigned today

From the Washington Post

Wow, two Big East programs with HC turnover in October!

I think it's safe to say that he wasnt forced out for saying a few curse words.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Are you a close personal friend of Ms Walker?
If not, then how do you know the reasons for her departure?

Most people, myself included, only know what was reported at the time (which wasnt much). Those may very well be correct. Or they may not.

There were sources of information very close to her and to the program that shared a significant amount of info about the situation. The driving issue was very personal and completely her own business. None of it had to do with treatment by UCONN or her teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom