Growing Optimism Enabling Officials to Plan for Essential Summer Workouts (SI) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Growing Optimism Enabling Officials to Plan for Essential Summer Workouts (SI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Like sending covid patients to nursing homes...

Everybody has to open up someday....and Florida, more populous than New York state, will have it's share of cases...

But, in context of the thread...FSU football is a week into conditioning with all players on board except one who is quarantined....doing well at this point. If the kids go out for the July 4th holiday, there is an expectation that there might be more quarantines when retested.
Or masks

Reaction Score
Florida has had a problem with some noncompliance...hard to police..

Sure is... Miami Herald is going to town today on Florida’s noncompliance w/ “reporting of data”...

Reaction Score
Football will play in Florida, I think (depending on the conference decisions)...

I do believe that there is a regional bias. I could shrug it off if the basketball season goes by the wayside...but not so, football.

We do love our basketball and baseball...but football is the king. Not so at UConn...regional differences.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

>> Referred to as a so-called Buckeye Pledge, it asks players to "pledge to take responsibility for my own health and help stop the spread of the COVID-19."

The document goes on to warn athletes that "although the university is following the coronavirus guidelines issued by the CDC and other experts to reduce the spread of infection, I can never be completely shielded from all risk of illness caused by COVID-19 or other infections."

Incoming freshmen who had not turned 18 needed to have a parent or legal guardian sign the waiver.<<

Reaction Score

>> Referred to as a so-called Buckeye Pledge, it asks players to "pledge to take responsibility for my own health and help stop the spread of the COVID-19."

The document goes on to warn athletes that "although the university is following the coronavirus guidelines issued by the CDC and other experts to reduce the spread of infection, I can never be completely shielded from all risk of illness caused by COVID-19 or other infections."

Incoming freshmen who had not turned 18 needed to have a parent or legal guardian sign the waiver.<<

Unbelievable, or maybe all too believable.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Dont see how this goes any other way. State U's might use their state credit to side step a liability waiver (depending on the politics of their state), but private U's aren't going to have much choice here.

Reaction Score
Interested to see how this plays out from a possible infectious disease exposure perspective:

>>Kansas State athletics released a statement on June 11 that after testing members of the football team for COVID-19 infections, no members of the team tested positive. GoPowercat, however, has learned from multiple sources that a member of the K-State football team who arrived after the initial testing not only tested positive for the COVID-19 but also worked out in the team training facility with other members of the team prior to knowing the result of his testing.

According to the sources, the result of the single positive test and possible multiple exposures from sharing time in the locker room with teammates, has led to some members of K-State team being quarantined for at least 14 days. This would mean they could continue football activities but only within their quarantined group.

Reaction Score
Jackson State vs Tennessee State @ the Liberty Bowl second week in September.

Reaction Score

>>Six Texas players have tested positive for COVID-19 and at least 15 players are now in quarantine due to contract tracing, a source close to the situation told Horns247.com<<

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The South is getting ravaged by COVID right now, despite their best efforts to cook the books. Florida has a staggering "pneumonia" outbreak, and Texas is running out of ICU bed capacity even though no one seems to die. The second worst thing about the pandemic, after the dying, is that one political party decided to lie to America about their risk of death.

There are maybe 20,000 players in FBS and FCS football, and another 3,000 to 4,000 coaches. I expect multiple people involved in the sport will die from COVID this year, and quite a few others will be hospitalized. It is just the math of it.

Even if there is a low mortality for young men, it is not 0%, and playing football increases it. I guess it is their choice to do it, but schools need to be completely transparent about all of the risk everyone is taking, and that risk can change day to day.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
6E4E7813-09FE-4CA1-BEBD-051D5B4227FB.png

billybob, put your mask on and wash your hands

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
One thing that seems pretty clear now and will have to be addressed by early August is the fact that kids are going to get COVid this fall and therefore the NCAA might want to consider outlining a protocol for returning from a positive test.

Maybe something like this:
i) All players and coaches must be tested for COVid weekly by a third party lab. The university can test more frequently if desired using their own labs.
ii) All positive players must immediately stop participating in all football activities for a minimum of 10 days.
iii) Roommates of positive players may continue if they test clean twice over 4 days...but roommates need to be broken up immediately upon discovery of a positive test.
iv) Positive players must test clean twice over 4 days before returning to football activities.

Just thinking aloud again....

Get ready for a testing bonanza.

Reaction Score
Interested to see how this plays out from a possible infectious disease exposure perspective:

>>Kansas State athletics released a statement on June 11 that after testing members of the football team for COVID-19 infections, no members of the team tested positive. GoPowercat, however, has learned from multiple sources that a member of the K-State football team who arrived after the initial testing not only tested positive for the COVID-19 but also worked out in the team training facility with other members of the team prior to knowing the result of his testing.

According to the sources, the result of the single positive test and possible multiple exposures from sharing time in the locker room with teammates, has led to some members of K-State team being quarantined for at least 14 days. This would mean they could continue football activities but only within their quarantined group.

Up to six...

>>Manhattan public information officer Vivienne Uccello told The Mercury Wednesday morning that of six new cases in Riley County, four were K-State football players. The report added that all six players contracted the coronavirus in other states and brought it back to Manhattan with them.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom