Group of 5 playoff? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Group of 5 playoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
of course it is, if your on our side of the fence. people say that no G5 will make the playoff, but within the first couple years of this new format, Houston was knocking on the door. Had they won out, beating Oklahoma and Louisville would have been hard to keep them out.
I was thinking about Houston and I distinctly remember the media talking heads saying if they ran the table it probably would not be enough even against one loss SEC and B1g, PAC teams.

Reaction Score
Nobody in the "G5" should be in favor of it either. It essentially solidifies the non P5 schools as the new 1-AA and turns the FCS into D2. Just because Northern Illinois doesn't feel it has a chance to play in the playoffs doesn't mean that a Houston or a BYU has no chance. If those schools go undefeated, they'll play (as the fourth seed, probably)...

I completely agree. It serves no other purpose than to keep any and all non-P5 teams out of the discussion when it comes to a playoff.

Reaction Score
An 8-team playoff with the 5 conference champions, highest ranked G5 if they're ranked in the top 15 or something, and two wild cards is the most realistic scenario for playoff expansion. It still won't happen though. This G5 playoff is a ridiculous idea.

Reaction Score
I mean... I get the whole idea of the self-inflicted death sentence, but at some point you gotta accept you aren't getting the invite, and if some network is willing to pay you more than you're gonna make from your terrible TV contract, you gotta take the money right?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The reason there will be no 8 team playoff is it let's loose of the P5 stranglehold on the college system. I agree with prior comments that they will never let a G5 in and they are paying lip service. An undefeated G5 will never make the top 4 because they discount the strength of schedule. A G5 could never construct a schedule to meet the pre-ordained level
of competition because the opponents are in the power conferences. This whole P5 concept is a blatant distortion of the system and is a grossly anticompetitive arrangement. Bad for college football, bad fans and bad for healthy competition.

Baloney, an undefeated Houston team, with wins over Oklahoma and Louisville would have been in, 100%

Reaction Score
Baloney, an undefeated Houston team, with wins over Oklahoma and Louisville would have been in, 100%
Not according to many pundits because their schedule would be too weak and 1 loss teams from the B1G, SEC and PAC would likely be ahead. At best they squeeze in 4th and there was no guarantee if there were undefeated teams with one loss teams. System is rigged my friend.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
They would have been 13-0 with wins over Oklahoma, Louisville, Navy, Temple, and USF. That would have been a far better resume than Washington had. Pundits were saying what they said hecause Houston was already out of it. If they had gone undefeated, I fully believe they would have been in.

Washington basically played USC, and got pounded. Houston would have been #4, I believe.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Had Houston gone 13-0 they would have been in.

The AAC can't cry in advance. They need to come up with a 13-0 team who beats a team or two OOC. If they get left out then cry.

Reaction Score
If they did that, why don't they have like an AFL/NFL championship between G5 and P5 champion. But of course, if it ever got that elaborate, it would most certainly be time to start paying players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom