Group of 5 playoff? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Group of 5 playoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everything you need to know ...

MAC Northern Illinois wants in and Aresco won't even start the discussion. American thinks it has room to push their revenue far higher; MAC and Sun Belt and CUSA are not that in potential. With new distribution channel, AAC has an avenue forward better than others.

Reaction Score
If the G5 were to do this it would be the 1st step in allowing the P5 schools to come for the hoops tourney.

Cannot do this regardless of the potential money from TV

Reaction Score
If this is an alternative to bowl games for G5 schools and they still have access to the CFP if a team is good enough (eg Houston this year, if they did not screw it up), then why not?

Essentially it would mean CFP for best 4 teams (P5 or G5) and then Bowls for remaining P5 and Playoffs for remaining G5.

Reaction Score
agree with Aresco. This would solidify the separation of the P5 and those that aspire to be P5 (Mtn west and AAC).

Not something that I'd be happy to see.
Bingo. This opens the door wide open for the P5 to break away completely with the argument of "See, the G5's already did it themselves! We're just taking what's left and formalizing our own playoff since they have theirs." It would also completely torpedo any shot the G5 schools would have at a collusion lawsuit against the P5.

Reaction Score
If this is an alternative to bowl games for G5 schools and they still have access to the CFP if a team is good enough (eg Houston this year, if they did not screw it up), then why not?

Essentially it would mean CFP for best 4 teams (P5 or G5) and then Bowls for remaining P5 and Playoffs for remaining G5.
The problem is, who cares what the 4 best G5 teams do? Say four of Temple, Navy, USF, Houston, and Boise play in this mini tournament (sub in WMU if you want) - what's the difference between these three games and other run of the mill bowl games these teams would otherwise play?

Reaction Score
Classic ESPN, get one confirmed source and make it something bigger than what it is.

The 5 conferences in the so-called Group of 5 would be committing suicide if it agreed to this.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Because the P5 conferences would never in a million years agree to that.

They are looking for ways to exclude and diminish the lower 66. Not give them more credibility.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm not in favor of a G5 playoff. That's a complete surrender to the P5.

I'd like to play hardball. If they do anything else to separate themselves, I'd withdraw from the March Madness tournament. Let them have a BB tournament without 82% of the Division 1 BB schools. To hell with them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree they shouldn't surrender but the war is long over.

The P5 and G5 are playing a different sport.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not in favor of a G5 playoff. That's a complete surrender to the P5.

I'd like to play hardball. If they do anything else to separate themselves, I'd withdraw from the March Madness tournament. Let them have a BB tournament without 82% of the Division 1 BB schools. To hell with them.

Yeah the 70 or so schools in the G5 don't make up 82% of the D1 basketball schools.

If the G5 withdrew from the NCAA tourney everyone would chuckle and move on with their day.

The MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA are 1 bid leagues. Mountain West is headed in that direction. The American is a 2-3 bid league.

They would be thrilled to eliminate 5 auto bids. The A-10, MVC and WCC would get a couple extra teams in and take all the second tier recruits.

Nobody in the P5 would lose a second of sleep.

If you think the non-football leagues are doing that... you need to better understand how they fund their conference offices.

Reaction Score
I agree they shouldn't surrender but the war is long over.

The P5 and G5 are playing a different sport.
You can whittle that down further. Just a portion of the P5 are. The OSU's, Clemson's and the Bama's are. The Vandy's, Wakes and Iowa States are not but are cashing P5 checks..

Reaction Score
Haven't seen this mentioned here.....thoughts???

Group of 5 schools considering own playoff

Saw this discussed on ESPN's College Football Live yesterday. The panel was unanimously for it, stating that G5 schools had no chance to be in the top 4 over a P5 school and how meaningless the ancillary bowls have become.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no doubt it would end in a merger of G5 and FCS schools. I don't think that's what G5 want. That being said, I agree with the premise that there is absolutely no shot that a G5 will be given a chance at making the 4 team playoff. I still believe that the G5 should be pushing for an 8 team playoff with the Power 5 each getting a slot to use how they wish (Champion or highest ranked), and 3 wild cards based on rankings, 1 of which must be the highest ranked G5 as long as its rated in the top 25. Will it happen? I don't think so, but that's the only way I can see the G5 getting a team in the playoffs.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I posted elsewhere that there should be a AAC/MWC championship game with the winner gaining an autobid to an eight game playoff. I don't like any arrangement involving "rankings". G5 playoff as stated above would be a death sentence.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The ideal end state is a 12 team playoff in D1.

Six automatic qualifiers (the five P5 conference champs and the highest ranked G5 conference champ), along with 6 'wild cards'.

The four highest ranked conference champs get a bye in the opening round and then get to host the quarterfinal games at their home stadium. The other 8 teams play an opening round at the traditional bowl game locations. The semifinals and finals can be held at rotating cities (like the current finals and basketball final four).

This would expand the tournament, but not de-value the regular season or conference championships (given the bye week and hosting home games for the top four conference champs).

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
So dumb. Will lose all ki ds of money. No one is traveling to a football NIT

Reaction Score
The reason there will be no 8 team playoff is it let's loose of the P5 stranglehold on the college system. I agree with prior comments that they will never let a G5 in and they are paying lip service. An undefeated G5 will never make the top 4 because they discount the strength of schedule. A G5 could never construct a schedule to meet the pre-ordained level
of competition because the opponents are in the power conferences. This whole P5 concept is a blatant distortion of the system and is a grossly anticompetitive arrangement. Bad for college football, bad fans and bad for healthy competition.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The g5 needs money. I support it.

And also believe UConn won't be G5 forever.
I want to believe that, I truly do. I just don't see a path anymore. Maybe if ND joins the ACC full time, maybe, but that's it.

Reaction Score
The reason there will be no 8 team playoff is it let's loose of the P5 stranglehold on the college system. I agree with prior comments that they will never let a G5 in and they are paying lip service. An undefeated G5 will never make the top 4 because they discount the strength of schedule. A G5 could never construct a schedule to meet the pre-ordained level
of competition because the opponents are in the power conferences. This whole P5 concept is a blatant distortion of the system and is a grossly anticompetitive arrangement. Bad for college football, bad fans and bad for healthy competition.
of course it is, if your on our side of the fence. people say that no G5 will make the playoff, but within the first couple years of this new format, Houston was knocking on the door. Had they won out, beating Oklahoma and Louisville would have been hard to keep them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom