Groundhog Day, Tiffany Hayes, and general frustration | The Boneyard

Groundhog Day, Tiffany Hayes, and general frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This feels like Groundhog Day, the movie. Another lead, either at the half or very late, and a narrow loss. This movie has run 8 times in less than 2 years. We need to do something differently, or maybe we need to wait until Griner and Diggins leave. I'd prefer to beat them, but we need just a little more of something. Geno needs to write a new screenplay.

Last year, we couldn't get over the hump either. While Tiffany was an outstanding player, she often struggled in big games, perhaps by being too emotional. That was a major topic on the board. If anyone thought that Tiff was the primary factor in those close losses, I disagree. She was part of why we lost, but only part. She's playing elsewhere now, and our results are similar. So it wasn't Tiffany.

We have now lost 6 of 7 to the team in green. I hate their fans, I hate Shylar strutting, I hate the way they play. I sure hope we can shut them up next time! (Venting)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Milford - Did you hate Taurasi's strutting?
What does that have to do with anything? He's a UCONN fan just like most of us on the board. I'm sure the ND fans love Skyler's "strutting". I think it's safe to say Mil is not a ND fan.

Anyway, this team is not as good as most everyone thought at the start of the year, our freshmen are not as impactful immediately as most thought, and the loss of Banks hurts us vs. teams like ND with great guard play. Not sure what's up with Stokes, and with no Moriah, we basically have 2.5 guards available (I counted Doty as a .5 due to her lack of offense and mobility on defense).

Tough loss for sure. Not sure there's anything the team can really take from it. Making your FT's in big moments is not something you can simulate in practice. This team is as physically tough as anyone and can bang with the best, but mentally they are soft. Don't see that changing in the next few weeks, but it's something to work on for next season!

Reaction Score
Honestly, Diggins and Diana are very similar in that they're the sort of player you love if they're on your team and you hate if they're on another team.

With Diggins, I think you hate her more because of all the histrionics. With Diana, she mostly let her game do the talking.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Honestly, Diggins and Diana are very similar in that they're the sort of player you love if they're on your team and you hate if they're on another team.

With Diggins, I think you hate her more because of all the histrionics. With Diana, she mostly let her game do the talking.

kind of like Candice Wiggins ....;)

I rooted for her on the Lynx b/c of Maya, but I'm sure she'll annoy the hell out of me now that they traded her!!!

(Actually this is somewhat tongue in cheek. Candice is Candice. As a personality, you gotta love her. As a competitor when she plays the Lynx, Sun, Merc or Dream, I will "hate" her for those 40 mins.)

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Milford - Groundhog Day the movie is exactly what it feels like - like the post DT years when we couldn't quite get there....I think injuries have played a large part this year, they seemed to be endless.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's Groundhog Day and that damn leprechaun keeps popping it's ugly head out. Someone put a lid on his damn hole and nail it shut!

Reaction Score
What does that have to do with anything? He's a UCONN fan just like most of us on the board. I'm sure the ND fans love Skyler's "strutting". I think it's safe to say Mil is not a ND fan.

Anyway, this team is not as good as most everyone thought at the start of the year, our freshmen are not as impactful immediately as most thought, and the loss of Banks hurts us vs. teams like ND with great guard play. Not sure what's up with Stokes, and with no Moriah, we basically have 2.5 guards available (I counted Doty as a .5 due to her lack of offense and mobility on defense).

Tough loss for sure. Not sure there's anything the team can really take from it. Making your FT's in big moments is not something you can simulate in practice. This team is as physically tough as anyone and can bang with the best, but mentally they are soft. Don't see that changing in the next few weeks, but it's something to work on for next season!

i think they showed a great deal of mental toughness last night. they were in good position to win in regulation and 1st and 2nd ots, and nd tied them each time. that's very hard mentally for any team, but they were really gutsy to bounce back in the first 2 ots. of course, it caught up with them in the 3rd ot , but still they showed me plenty before that.
re "nothing to take from the game" : honestly,would you have said that if they had won?? because they did everything needed to win, except make a single foul shot at the right time,in a very difficult atmosphere, against a really good team. of course,you said "not sure", so maybe on second thought........

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Coupla things to remember...we had ALL of the pieces to make it all the way. I'm thinking there would have been a completely DIFFERENT result were it not for the transfers of Delle Donne & Walker. Can't blame Geno there. This team is a few pieces short of being a complete picture & considering that, have done an AMAZING job this season. They demolished Stanford, who was the #1 team in the country at the time & broke their home winning streak.

Diana, had attitude & swag, but never, in a bazillion years, would she have gone up to the television announcers & exclaim "this is MY house". What do you suppose Geno's response would have been if she HAD?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Diana, had attitude & swag, but never, in a bazillion years, would she have gone up to the television announcers & exclaim "this is MY house". What do you suppose Geno's response would have been if she HAD?

He might have repeated what he once said to her: "There's room for only one jerk on this team and that's me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom