Gregg Doyel: UConn win over Florida, a fluke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gregg Doyel: UConn win over Florida, a fluke

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When sports "journalists" feed off the bottom, like Doyel, they end up with fluke.

Or catfish, I guess. I can see definitely see Doyel as the catfishing type. Probably trolling high schoolers to boot.

Reaction Score
Giffey is looking at Florida the way Germany looked at France at the European Championships this summer. Giffey and Germany were not to be denied, no matter that Tony Barker and other NBAers were on the floor.

Reaction Score
Perfect, I've been waiting for an article like this all week.

If somebody wants to say that the last play was a fluke, that's legitimate. If they want to say the entire game was a fluke, though? It's just being dumb and/or trying to get a rise out of people. History has proven that teams generally win about half of their games decided by three points or less. This is because, after a certain point, two teams are so evenly matched that one bounce can determine the outcome, as it did that day.

You could just as easily point to the circus bank shot Patric Young hit on Olander minutes earlier and call that a fluke, but it wouldn't fit the narrative. The bottom line was that both teams played really well in that game, and who won isn't really relevant at all at this point.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Great article. Has every misconception about today's UConn team in one package. I hope it gets wide dissemination.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn was winning most of that game. It wasn't some kind of madhouse like ISU late. Florida's comeback was more flukey than Shabazz hitting a shot at the buzzer. They scored on every possession in the last 3 minutes with their best player on the bench. That's what they needed to do to get a 1 point lead. How is that a UConn negative?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't mind Doyel, but I think his question was one for a coach, not the most low key personality on the team. Everyone talks about what Florida didn't have the first time we met, but this UConn team isn't the same team that played Florida. It's not even the same team that played Louisville in the AAC Tournament, much less the same team that lost to Louisville in the last regular season game. Ever since Kemba, there have been two UConn teams -- the regular season version, and the tournament version. Florida is going to be playing against the tournament version.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Giffey is looking at Florida the way Germany looked at France at the European Championships this summer. Giffey and Germany were not to be denied, no matter that Tony Barker and other NBAers were on the floor.

Springtime for Giffey and Huskyland
Winter for Florida U
We're playing at a faster pace
Look out this slam is in your face!

Reaction Score
I would love to see the bulletin board in the Husky locker room...all those negative stories...this is so perfect. Reminds me of the "Duke Invitational." The stage is set perfectly. We are so doomed.

Reaction Score
It was the same thing in 2011 when we played UK in the final four. We beat them in Maui but that didn't matter because the freshman on UK grew up and were much better as if Lamb, Bazz and Scoe didn't improve over the course of the year.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
so why are we even sending the team to dallas? florida's obviously just so much better than us.

Reaction Score
Doyel took his shot and Parrish one upped him by managing to connect Kevin Ollie with the Nate Miles stuff. Both are scumbags.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

No. He's looking at Florida the way Germany looked at France at the starts of World War I and World War II.

Additionally, we are....................

Doomed.png

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
he's right, even Billy Donovan says so

throw in the fact that neither Nova, nor ISU nor MSU played their "A", and it's easy to see we're the luckiest team to ever reach the FF

I wear their hate like a badge of honor, and I laugh at their basketball IQ

they just don't have "it"

Reaction Score
I don't mind Doyel, but I think his question was one for a coach, not the most low key personality on the team. Everyone talks about what Florida didn't have the first time we met, but this UConn team isn't the same team that played Florida. It's not even the same team that played Louisville in the AAC Tournament, much less the same team that lost to Louisville in the last regular season game. Ever since Kemba, there have been two UConn teams -- the regular season version, and the tournament version. Florida is going to be playing against the tournament version.
Like Doyel has the balls to ask Kevin Ollie that question. He picked Niels on purpose.

Reaction Score
Doyel took his shot and Parrish one upped him by managing to connect Kevin Ollie with the Nate Miles stuff. Both are scumbags.

I'm not going to read the Parrish article to see how he made this connection, but did it involve a time machine? Miles was expelled from UConn in the fall of 2008. Ollie was hired in 2010.

Reaction Score
No disrespect intended to the original poster, but the way to deal with hats like Doyle (and Parrish and Goodman, etc.) is to not click on anything of theirs. He writes articles and asks questions like that because it's the only way he can get people to read his drivel. The less his articles are read the less likely he will be to be employed by CBS. With his lack of journalistic talent he should at best be writing his own blog and at worst working the overnight shift as a custodian at a peep show...

Reaction Score
I'm not going to read the Parrish article to see how he made this connection, but did it involve a time machine? Miles was expelled from UConn in the fall of 2008. Ollie was hired in 2010.

He says that if UCONN didn't cheat to get Miles, Patrick Sellers would have been on the staff when Ollie retired and there would have been no spot for KO, causing him to jump to the OKC front office. Basically, he wanted to mention Nate Miles and dove deep enough into the past to concoct this narrative.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I just hope our guys remember how to tie their shoelaces. When we lose by 100, I'd rather lose while nobody trips over a shoelace.

Reaction Score
UConn has definitely regressed since that game he forgot to point out. Shabazz Napier went from scoring 27 points against Indiana to now scoring only 25 points against lowly Michigan State!

Meanwhile Amida Brimah had 7 blocks against Yale back in November but only 2 blocks vs. Iowa State in the tournament.

Clearly we have gotten worse as a squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom