Greatest high school football player in Connecticut history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Greatest high school football player in Connecticut history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Back when I was in high school, Tebucky Jones was tearing it up as a running back. NBHS was pretty good then.

Reaction Score
How about Willie Hall (Saints & Super Bowl Champions Raiders) and Tommy Myers (Pro Bowl Safety New Orleans)? Both played at Pulaski High School (New Britain).
and Art Corsaletti too. Pulaski was the original Jack Cochran team. Regular 70-0 wins.

Reaction Score
1987 state title game, Scott Burrell hit receivers in stride in the end zone 3 times...one of which had no defender with in 20 yards of him. All three were dropped, Hamden loses 3-0.

I brought it up to him at The Travelers this year, he had all of his receivers back, would not sell them out, talked about how cold it was then went on to say that he rememberd it was 70 degrees the next day. Here's a guy who played with Jordan, Parish, etc....and he still remembers the one that got away in high school. Great guy for not selling out his teammates all these years later.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I scrimmaged against Doug in high school and he was the best running back I have ever seen in Connecticut. He had excellent speed and great moves.
Coached against Rico Brogna for my old high school. He is without a doubt the best overall player I have seen in high school including Steve Young. He just had it all and would have been a star at Clemson, but played pro baseball instead.
One play I can't forget is him being chased by three players stopped and fired the ball across his body over fifty yards complete for a touchdown. Just incredible play to see in person.

Doug Dubose from Montville in early 80's. Played at Nebraska for 4 years then went on to a brief stint with the 49ers. In terms of most dominating at the high school level he has to get consideration.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Best player I played with was a running back by the name of Jimmy Henry from Greenwich. He set the TD record at 42 in 99 which was then broken a few years later by Tim Washington.

I would say Steve Young would be at the top of the list due to his accomplishments and NFL record QB rating which was broken by P.Manning a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In the 9 years I officiated football in Connecticut easily the best player I saw in person was Aaron Hernandez. As someone who grew up and played in Central CT, Tebucky Jones Sr. was an absolute beast.

Reaction Score
George Tarasovic, from bridgeport/harding, went to LSU and played for Pittsburgh ....Got this from my dad

Reaction Score
Just throwing a few names around, some I remember first hand. Wondering what you guys think? I suppose you can include those that blossomed after high school and turned into great players in college or the pros, a rare thing but it has happened, but I was thinking of the great HS players that dominated the CT HS gridion, of course some went on to bigger and better things while some others for whatever reason didn't.

Bobby Valentine, Andrew Pinnock, Rico Brogna, John Sullivan, Andy Rosbustelli, Pete Demmerle, Carm Cozza, Floyd Little, Kurt Horton, Walt Dropo, Sandy Osiecki, Bill Romanowski, Dwight Freeney, Tarek Saleh, Steve Young......I know I'm missing some. Some on this board might be surprised with Bobby Valentine, but he was the only CT high school football player to ever make 1st team all-state 3 years in a row and Rippowam HS won the state championship 1 or 2 years when BobbyV played there.

Chime in on the ones I missed, especially the long forgotten ones from the 40's & 50's

Carm Cozza was from Ohio.

Reaction Score
Levi Jackson (1926 - 7 December 2000), a football standout at Hillhouse High School (New Haven, CT), was the first African-American football captain at Yale University, and the first African-American executive at Ford Motor Company. He was a member of the Yale Class of 1950, and captained the 1949 football team, the election taken soon after the 1948 season. Like Albie Boothbefore him, Jackson was a football standout at Hillhouse High School and Yale. Jackson was born in Branford, CT. Jackson's father was a master steward and chef at Yale's Pierson College. Jackson attended Yale on the G.I. Bill. He attained the rank ofsergeant in the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps.[1]
He turned down an offer to play for the New York Giants, which would had made him the first African-American to play in the modern National Football League, after playing football on the Camp Lee team in Virginia for the U.S. Army. Yale coach Howie Odell welcomed Jackson, the team achieving a 7-1-1 record, an Associated Press poll finish at 12, and a victory over Harvard. Jackson's squads were 3 - 1 versus Harvard.

Reaction Score
I brought up the criteria of overall athlete thing, and also the criteria of palyers that I've personally seen.

There's so many players in a discussion like this. The kid coming to UConn in the spring to compete for the QB position I believe is the current all time leader in passing. Tough to argue against him as being the best high school player, if you're going to restrict it to the high school gridiron only.

I'm not sure if Burrell played football did he? i don't remember him playing. anyway, when you've got a kid on the field that's playing the QB position for several years in high school, throwing for record yardage, record #'s of TD's, winning state championships, can also run the ball pretty well, and is getting recruited to major colleges on top of all that, for being able to punt with NFL type distance and hang time, and kick field goals regularly 50+ yards? That's a highly talented high school football player.

I don't recall another H.S. football player in CT that I've seen play with my own eyes, that was able to do everything Brogna did on the field.

Yes. Burrell was about the best quarterback I'd ever seen at the HS level. Threw the ball about 60-70 yards in the air and they pulled him off the freshman team half way through the season to play varsity. His junior year he lead Hamden to the state title game (where they lost 3-0 to East Hartford (I think)) in about the coldest game I've been involved with (outside of the 2008 NFC Championship game at Lambeau). He didn't play his senior year to focus on hoops and baseball. Was drafted twice in the 1st round of the MLB draft and played in the NBA.

I've heard people from the northern part of the state rave about Brogna, and I can't say anything different, but I've never been around another multi-sport talent like Burrell who was a pro at 2 levels and who easily could have been an NFL player. He was a reincarnation of Randall Cunningham.

Reaction Score
Burrell played at Hamden.

There are a lot of kids who were unheralded because they played for small schools. Look at a kid like Chris Hetherington at North Branford. He was unknown, played D1AA, then went on to have a rather long NFL career as a starter.

I played golf with Hetherington a couple of years back. He is a beast physically.

Reaction Score
I played golf with Hetherington a couple of years back. He is a beast physically.

Yeah, he's a big kid. We worked the same job in New Haven a couple summers back in the early 90s before he was drafted.

Reaction Score
We've had this discussion before :) Lots of guys to talk about. Tim Washington was an electric offensive player but I don't know where he ended up after going to Syracuse. Romanowski's career is undeniable. Etc. Etc. If you loko at the record books, the names jump out.

Best overall athlete I've personally seen as a high school kid age, is Brogna hands down. The kid did everything on the field except play defense, and he probably could ahve been a shut down coverage DB too if he played every down on both sides of the ball. Top 5 I think passer all time, kicked field goals 50+ yards, state champion winner QB, 1,000+ point scorer in basketball, double digit winner baseball pitcher. had college programs offering him scholarships for multiple sports left and right, but got drafted to MLB out of high school and made a career there.

Yes I remember watching Washington play I have a friend that knew him and he told me that Washington said he should have played at Uconn.

Reaction Score
I played against Maurice Humphrey from Berlin he went to Penn State but got into alot of trouble there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you go solely by what he did in HS, Bobby V may well deserve the honor as he was the first three time all state player (and I believe Pozzouli was the only other and one of his was second team).

If you go by entire career, including college and NFL, Steve Young makes a better argument than anyone, Floyd Little and Andy Robustelli (who are also enshrined in Canton) would be second and third.

Reaction Score
1. kenny tinney 2. tubucky jones 3. aaron hernandez 4. dwight freeney 5. steve coughlin ansonia ( stanford)

Reaction Score
If you go solely by what he did in HS, Bobby V may well deserve the honor as he was the first three time all state player (and I believe Pozzouli was the only other and one of his was second team).

If you go by entire career, including college and NFL, Steve Young makes a better argument than anyone, Floyd Little and Andy Robustelli (who are also enshrined in Canton) would be second and third.
I agree with you on that score. Bobby V was awesome. I saw him play when I was 12 or 13, he could do it all.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on that score. Bobby V was awesome. I saw him play when I was 12 or 13, he could do it all.
I'm surprised no one mentioned Fran Lynch (myself included) who played for Roger Ludlowe back the 1960's, back when all 4 Fairfield high schools (Warde, Ludlowe, Notre Dame, Fairfield Prep) produced championship teams.

Reaction Score
Kyle McIntosh out of Cheshire was pretty filthy. Had 2,000+ rushing yards at Syracuse and was the starting tailback during the McNabb era up there. Don't think he ever lost a high school game either IIRC, him and his brother were the biggest reason for the Cheshire dynasty of the 1990's. Think they won 47 straight or something.

Reaction Score
Kyle McIntosh out of Cheshire was pretty filthy. Had 2,000+ rushing yards at Syracuse and was the starting tailback during the McNabb era up there. Don't think he ever lost a high school game either IIRC, him and his brother were the biggest reason for the Cheshire dynasty of the 1990's. Think they won 47 straight or something.
Those Cheshire teams were tough back then, I think their winning streak still remains the state record.

Reaction Score

Good contribution. I think we get a little off track when we judge by college or the pros. I didn't see a lot of Steve Young, but when we played against them it was really a team effort on their part (and some terrible red zone play calling on ours) that allowed them to steal one. He was a heck of a QB no doubt, but not superman until later.

Reaction Score
Just throwing a few names around, some I remember first hand. Wondering what you guys think? I suppose you can include those that blossomed after high school and turned into great players in college or the pros, a rare thing but it has happened, but I was thinking of the great HS players that dominated the CT HS gridion, of course some went on to bigger and better things while some others for whatever reason didn't.

Bobby Valentine, Andrew Pinnock, Rico Brogna, John Sullivan, Andy Rosbustelli, Pete Demmerle, Carm Cozza, Floyd Little, Kurt Horton, Walt Dropo, Sandy Osiecki, Bill Romanowski, Dwight Freeney, Tarek Saleh, Steve Young......I know I'm missing some. Some on this board might be surprised with Bobby Valentine, but he was the only CT high school football player to ever make 1st team all-state 3 years in a row and Rippowam HS won the state championship 1 or 2 years when BobbyV played there.

Chime in on the ones I missed, especially the long forgotten ones from the 40's & 50's
I know he didn't turn out to be the best pro, but the thing about Pinnock was that when he finished his career he was the all time rushing leader (I know he's been passed by) but he was probably playing only half a game. We've never had a player with his size and speed. I believe he was at least 260lbs and ran a 4.6 - 4.7ish 40. Those who could actually tackle him couldn't catch him and vice versa. If you were a 185 cornerback you just got out of his way or carried off the field. his team was scoring 50+ a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom