OT: - Great TV Westerns Theme Songs | The Boneyard

OT: Great TV Westerns Theme Songs

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, this thread represents ideas of several previous threads, Westerns, Theme Songs, Nostalgia, but with a slight twist. There were many TV Westerns in the 50s and 60s, and many had great Theme songs, some good enough to release as a single. So, please indulge an old man. What were your favorites? Search Youtube for a full length recording of that song, doesn't necessarily have to be the original. I have found dozens, but I'll start with three so you get the idea. Please take the time to watch these videos, as I personally think they're great. Hope you agree.

First, starring a very young Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates. ( BTW, I just watched a 90 year old Clint in CRY MACHO, he's still got it.)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Bet you didn't know the Theme from the long running show BONANZA had lyrics. Lorne Greene recorded a version. He had a good voice, and a minor hit with Ringo. (The song, not the drummer) But I really like this version.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think you get the idea. In the coming of age movie STAND BY ME, there is a scene with the kids singing The Ballad of Palladin. As kids, we memorized the words to the westerns. The lyrics stuck in your head. Here is the full, original version.

Reaction Score
Here’s Leonard Cohen with the opening of Robert Altman’s “McCabe and Mrs. Miller.”

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bet you didn't know the Theme from the long running show BONANZA had lyrics. Lorne Greene recorded a version. He had a good voice, and a minor hit with Ringo. (The song, not the drummer) But I really like this version.
Bet I did. It was Paul from Cheers greatest moment.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think you get the idea. In the coming of age movie STAND BY ME, there is a scene with the kids singing The Ballad of Palladin. As kids, we memorized the words to the westerns. The lyrics stuck in your head. Here is the full, original version.

I loved HGWT. I've seen every episode. I would love either a remake with a new unknown upcoming actor, or a full-length movie.

In the late 1950s, nothing was more popular on TV than cowboys, and few gunslingers were more popular than Paladin. The dashing, daring character of Have Gun - Will Travel had the refined taste of James Bond and the wardrobe of Johnny Cash. In the first four of its six seasons, from 1957–61, the Western ranked in the top four of all television shows. It was still a hit those last couple years, too.
1659115243932.png
Based out of the luxurious Hotel Carlton in San Francisco, Paladin, played by Richard Boone, offered his services for steep fees, typically $1,000. He carried business cards embossed with his chess knight logo and his promise, "Have Gun – Will Travel." Paladin was everything from guardian, tutor, rescuer, bounty hunter, treasure hunter, detective… whatever the client needed. With his flashy suits and bespoke holster, Paladin was a far cry from rugged heroes like Rowdy Yates or Matt Dillon. Six decades later, he's just as cool.

Paladin's real name was Clay Alexander — perhaps. On the television show, Paladin's true name is never given. Though it remains a point of debate amongst fans, one of the tie-in books, which expands on the origin story shown in the episode "Genesis," his real name is given as Clay Alexander.

Why was Have Gun Will Travel Cancelled? By this time, he was also ready for Have Gun, Will Travel to end at the end of his five-year contract (“We want to avoid running into the law of diminishing returns”), but was given too good a deal to refuse to come back for a sixth season.

10 facts about 'Have Gun - Will Travel'

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I loved HGWT. I've seen every episode. I would love either a remake with a new unknown upcoming actor, or a full-length movie.

View attachment 77865
CARNAC, thanks for the info on HGWT. The most popular TV western of all time, GUNSMOKE, started about the same time, but lasted 20 years, 1955 to 1975, and aired 635 episodes. I doubt you have seen them all. Here is a fully orchestrated version of the iconic theme song

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Love it, Hoops66, did then, and still do now.

I'm curious how they manage to have all those credits and never bother to tell anyone that Rossini inadvertently played a major role in the success of The Long Ranger!
I've always loved the Lone Ranger. I have not seen every episode (I've seen most of them) however. I do listen to old radio productions of the Lone Ranger on Old Time Radio. Here is the link. [LINK] I usually listen to an episode at bedtime. I've been doing this nightly ritual for some time. Enjoy. :) Another link ALL OF THESE EPISODES ARE FREE.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CARNAC, thanks for the info on HGWT. The most popular TV western of all time, GUNSMOKE, started about the same time, but lasted 20 years, 1955 to 1975, and aired 635 episodes. I doubt you have seen them all. Here is a fully orchestrated version of the iconic theme song

As much as I enjoy all the themes, this one kinda brings me home. I just got pangs of nostalgia as soon as I heard it, remembering the countless late Saturday evenings when, as a young boy, I'd watch Gunsmoke with my Dad. Those were halcyon days for me.

Aluminny69 and Carnac, there's no way of knowing, but I'd bet my Dad saw darned near all of the episodes!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom