Great time with the Girls last night | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great time with the Girls last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The level of educated people here amazes me. Folks can't read the respect I have for these women in my post but instead focus on a word and nothing else ... and even put their own perverted view on the message. I welcome your visit...I also own a place in Manhattan if that is more convenient for you
While I understand the harsh historical context that makes the use of certain terms problematic when referring to groups of people who have been disadvantaged and suppressed, I'm one of the Boneyard boys who think that when it's clear that no disparagement is intended, the terms "girls" referring to women and "boys" referring to men should be accepted for their obvious benignity, even friendliness. If the specific persons so addressed are offended for whatever reason, let's not use those terms in addressing those persons. Otherwise, we can hold our outrage for real problems like war and hunger.

Reaction Score
Start calling the players on the men's teams boys and see what happens....
The truth is, I would not think they would mind until this thread. I tried to edit the header but could not - I only have the highest respect for these wonderful ladies. I follow mainly professional sports and the UCONN WBB (for the past three years.) However, this board has left a sour taste in me, not for the ladies but for the fans. I always brought lots of friends with me when they play at MSG but I think it is not worth following WBB anymore so you can quit beating a dead horse. I quit this site...have fun and good luck. Life is too short for me to put anymore support in this sport.

Reaction Score
I wonder - do the men's board poster haunt the team members' social media accounts for little tidbits on the players' personal lives?

Leave the kids alone. They're entitled to some privacy.
Absolutely agree they're entitled to their privacy. But why would they put something they wanted to keep private out on Instagram?? Instagram is for blasting your pictures & videos out to the world, and is the furthest thing I can think of from trying to keep things "private."

Reaction Score
The truth is, I would not think they would mind until this thread. I tried to edit the header but could not - I only have the highest respect for these wonderful ladies. I follow mainly professional sports and the UCONN WBB (for the past three years.) However, this board has left a sour taste in me, not for the ladies but for the fans. I always brought lots of friends with me when they play at MSG but I think it is not worth following WBB anymore so you can quit beating a dead horse. I quit this site...have fun and good luck. Life is too short for me to put anymore support in this sport.
Hate to see you go Charlie. You provided a good glimpse of a voluntary shot of the fun after the game that these players enjoy. Many people loved it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think more than a few people in this thread and on this site need to start looking at the spirit in which statements are offered before casting aspersions so casually.

Taken in isolation, "girls" is not a disparaging term. If it were, neither players, recruits, players' parents, TV commentators or coaches would use it very much. But in fact phrases like "a great group of girls" have been used quite often by players, by recruits, by recruits' families and by coaches over the years, as have other phrases that use the word "girls." Maybe not as often as "women('s)", "ladies", "young ladies", "young women" but certainly often enough. "Guys" is also used here and there by coaches and others - do we think these speakers have somehow mistaken the players' gender?

There are apparently (per Geno) some coaches and programs that would proscribe terms like "man-to-man" defense when coaching women. I don't think it bothers Geno very much, or players if Gabby Williams is any example. She talked about losing "her man" on defense in a post-game interview the other day. Was she insulting the opposing player or somehow speaking out of turn? Hardly.

And how many times have posters---many of them long-time posters---spoken of "our girls" when referring to the team? I don't recall these posters getting rapped on the knuckles very often for such usage. Shall we start keeping a count of such instances so that these posters can take their place on a wall of shame, too?

People need to start looking at the overall context of posts. Tons of words and phrases, "girls" included, can be used in a disparaging or belittling way. This isn't one of those cases.

Anyone want to make a wager as to how many approving replies would have filled this thread if it had been made by someone whose post count numbered in the thousands rather than a post count of < 100? And how many would have asked for a link or for further info on how they could catch the squad themselves the next time?

I'd be happy to take that bet, either here in the thread or offline in a private message.
Well said, my friend! I'd like to see all of us, in the spirit of the holidays, be courteous and tolerant.

Interestingly, Geno refers to his players as "guys," rather affectionately so, and the choice of defense is "man to man." No one seems to take offense. He also differentiates between girls' high school ball and women's college ball.

Back to the original point, for those who like things simple, common sense and common courtesy (both of which are surprisingly uncommon) will get you quite far in life.

Seasons greetings!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Absolutely agree they're entitled to their privacy. But why would they put something they wanted to keep private out on Instagram?? Instagram is for blasting your pictures & videos out to the world, and is the furthest thing I can think of from trying to keep things "private."
They're putting it on social media for their friends, not a bunch of people old enough to be their grandparents. As we've discussed in the past, a bunch of 60- and 70-somethings scouring social media for glimpses into the personal lives of teenagers is just icky.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Instagram may be public and they post "for people to see" but geesh what grown man (over 30) want to see some "girls" young women/ladies giggling amongst their peers. Give them space, lurking is cool for your own personal insight/entertainment but airing is out for the "rest of the world (grumpy old men/women)" to see is just not necessary.

We don't even follow our own kids, grandkids that closely... just because they are "public figures" doesn't make it cool

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
They're putting it on social media for their friends, not a bunch of people old enough to be their grandparents. As we've discussed in the past, a bunch of 60- and 70-somethings scouring social media for glimpses into the personal lives of teenagers is just icky.
ooops, didnt see this... I was typing my own opinion but is on point

Reaction Score
No argument on the icky-ness, and I agree. My point was that looking at someone's Instagram is not an invasion of their privacy. They put it there 100% voluntarily, for the explicit purpose for it to be looked at, and with full knowledge of who can see it.

Reaction Score
There's definitely a generational gap thing going on here. Some people (mostly above a certain age) can't quite accept the concept: not only are some young people OK with engaging with the outside world on social media. They actually want it.

I don't have an Instagram account, and have never interacted with a WBB player on any form of social media. No real desire to do so, either. But if they make their posts so public that I can see them without even getting an account / added to their "friends list*," then I feel that talking about those pictures and linking them is fair game.

*if you can call a list with ten thousand or more people a list of "friends"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
still gott
No argument on the icky-ness, and I agree. My point was that looking at someone's Instagram is not an invasion of their privacy. They put it there 100% voluntarily, for the explicit purpose for it to be looked at, and with full knowledge of who can see it.
still gotta go looking... peeping-tom'ish

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Im bored out of my mind right now... and have ZERO desire to look up any of the "girls" instagram accounts to see what they're up to on their time away from a basketball game.

now the graduates, Dolson, Charde, Tiffany, Hartley, Tina etc. is fair game... even MKW is fair-game right now cause she actually post her basketball results. Watching "girls" giggle and dance is childish. Just go to an adult joint were the expectations are mutual

Reaction Score
Do wcbb players ever get offended when their coach tells them to play man to man defense?You would of thought there would have been an alternative word for that by now.The announcer will say,"the team has shifted from zone to man"routinely and it surprises me that not even one of the wcbb players have ever made an issue out of it.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Do wcbb players ever get offended when their coach tells them to play man to man defense?You would of thought there would have been an alternative word for that by now.The announcer will say,"the team has shifted from zone to man"routinely and it surprises me that not even one of the wcbb players have ever made an issue out of it.

Some years ago, coaches, broadcasters, and some athletes tried to introduce the label "player-to-player" defense. It was not quite a tongue-twister, but it wasn't very sleek, either. So, we shortened it to the "player defense." You will still hear it called this from time to time. Many of us, in the interest of clarity, reverted (if reluctantly) to saying "man-to-man," or just "man." I have heard "playing straight up" used, but rather seldom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom