Great team we have but | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great team we have but

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think the emphasis this year is creating match up problems. We can go big and small. We can play half court, and we can run with great athletes. But this year we can also press because we have that depth. You ask about PT? I say, good luck scouting us. Good luck figuring out who to stop. And which style we may employ against you.
Yes. All this is true AND if we play with maximum intensity and aggression we are going to need that real deep bench. The question really becomes do our opponents have a deep enough bench to compete and even play against us. This will give new meaning to that song "who let the dogs out." The staff will have weapons to increase the level of ferocity and finish every court battle they face this year. Very, very formidable.

Reaction Score
Singare is the only guy that I could understand being unhappy with his PT since he’s not a frosh

Mahaney 20 / Diarra 20
McNeeley 25 / Nowell 10 / Mahaney 5
Stew 10 / Ball 20 / Ross 10
Karaban 25 / Stew 15
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

25: Mahaney / McNeeley / Stew / Karaban
20: Diarra / Ball / Reed / Johnson
10: Nowell / Ross

Bench: Abraham / Singare
that looks pretty spot on, i can see Alex being the one playing 30+ a game. If these guys play to their abilities and we are playing 10 guys about 20 minutes , its gonna be a freaking nightmare to play us. This is a great problem to have!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
that looks pretty spot on, i can see Alex being the one playing 30+ a game. If these guys play to their abilities and we are playing 10 guys about 20 minutes , its gonna be a freaking nightmare to play us. This is a great problem to have!
As counterintuitive as this may seem, I personally believe that there is a strong possibility that Alex will have his lowest minutes per game average this upcoming season. I will be surprised if anyone averages more than 26-28 minutes a game.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Last summer, I watched highlights and the European tour and, coupled with the info we had on returning players, I had a crazy thought: that we might be better than the previous year when we won it all. I chalked that up to being an overly optimistic and convinced myself that we would probably be top 10-15 good, but not great. I obviously should have stuck to my guns.

That being said, I'm having similar irrational thoughts this year. I don't believe this team will be better than last year, but I think we're really, really good, will be top 5 all year and should be right in the running for another shot at the title.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The freshmen, outside of McNeeley, will probably sit a lot and have to wait their turn

Reaction Score
Do we have too many good players and not enough pt? That’s the only prob I see. Enough pt for 11 worthy players
Ain’t no such thing as too many good players. Lol. Like, u want bad players?

Reaction Score
Our depth and athleticism will be a strength. Hope we can continue our recent success re: no major injuries to sidetrack our team objectives. Dan and staff will figure out PT. Talented guys first want the team to be successful.

Kudos to SnC and training staff for keeping everyone healthy for practices/ player development and for games over the last few years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Singare is the only guy that I could understand being unhappy with his PT since he’s not a frosh

Mahaney 20 / Diarra 20
McNeeley 25 / Nowell 10 / Mahaney 5
Stew 10 / Ball 20 / Ross 10
Karaban 25 / Stew 15
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

25: Mahaney / McNeeley / Stew / Karaban
20: Diarra / Ball / Reed / Johnson
10: Nowell / Ross

Bench: Abraham / Singare
Oof, lotta love for Abraham on here. Don't see him tied to the bench.

Reaction Score
Last summer, I watched highlights and the European tour and, coupled with the info we had on returning players, I had a crazy thought: that we might be better than the previous year when we won it all. I chalked that up to being an overly optimistic and convinced myself that we would probably be top 10-15 good, but not great. I obviously should have stuck to my guns.

That being said, I'm having similar irrational thoughts this year. I don't believe this team will be better than last year, but I think we're really, really good, will be top 5 all year and should be right in the running for another shot at the title.
Go with irrational!! Or excessive exuberance if you want a changeup.

Reaction Score
Once again, problems everywhere. Going to be incredible watching how this plays out.

Considering each player on an island, without respect to the roster, it's difficult to see how they don't see the floor. As bendm points out though, not too many examples of a great team with an 11 man rotation.

Reaction Score
It’s Hurley and the staffs worry not yours. So if it’s their worry then why be worried. It’s none of your business yes it’s our business as fans but it’s not our job so stop worrying take a chill pill or a drink and enjoy the summer.

Reaction Score
And think about all the fun that the "pump the brakes" crowd deprived themselves of last year and the year before.
I mean, to be fair, the brakes were appropriately pumped in the sense that we did not have (or use) much depth this past year -- it was just that our top 7 was insanely good.

This year will be a unique challenge and opportunity for Hurley in the staff in the sense that we actually do have the depth to work out of a number of different looks, and don't have the overwhelming top-end talent that we can just run roughshod over people. It will be a very different puzzle to put together.

Reaction Score
Once again, problems everywhere. Going to be incredible watching how this plays out.

Considering each player on an island, without respect to the roster, it's difficult to see how they don't see the floor. As bendm points out though, not too many examples of a great team with an 11 man rotation.
It’s gonna be fascinating to see how it all unfolds with playing time. Things have a way of working out the universe tends to unfold as it should.

Reaction Score
It’s Hurley and the staffs worry not yours. So if it’s their worry then why be worried. It’s none of your business yes it’s our business as fans but it’s not our job so stop worrying take a chill pill or a drink and enjoy the summer.
I'm not worried, I'm fascinated. Going to be an unbelievably entertaining year if you are a Husky fan, probably pretty interesting for the pure Hoop fans too. For our opponents, not so much!

"Problems Everywhere" is a facetious statement.

Reaction Score
I'm not worried, I'm fascinated. Going to be an unbelievably entertaining year if you are a Husky fan, probably pretty interesting for the pure Hoop fans too. For our opponents, not so much!

"Problems Everywhere" is a facetious statement.
How cool is it to say you are going for a 3 peat. Hurley and his staff are problem solvers so I’m not worried.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you what's a great problem to have. It's a great problem to have five starters who are all NBA-caliber players and three competent backups -- one for the backcourt, one for center and one for the forecourt. In other words, it's a great problem to have last year's team.

The problem this year is that there are too many players of potential NBA-caliber who are indistinguishable from one another. This remains a problem only if the players remain indistinguishable from another; that is, none begins to show himself to be of NBA-caliber. The problem, then, properly stated, will be not that we have too many players competing for too little time but that we have too few players of NBA-caliber.

The resolution to be hoped for is that several of these players will blossom into NBA-caliber performers. They will become our starters and first reserves. The rest will simply not get playing time, not because there isn't enough playing time, but because they aren't good enough to crack the top 7 or 8 that constitute the active roster of a championship team.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom