Great Saniya Chong article... | The Boneyard

Great Saniya Chong article...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I like this quote, which should make Chong-Master happy:

As the N.C.A.A. tournament opened, Auriemma said: “I don’t know where we’d be without Saniya Chong right now. That’s how much she’s changed and added to our program.”

And, he told her, she would have to keep playing dependably for UConn to win its fifth consecutive title. “I don’t know how many people understand this,” Auriemma said to Chong, “but you might be the most important kid out on the court for as long as we play
.”

I am so happy for Saniya. What a way to close out her senior season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
... in today's New York Times.

"Afterward, Auriemma paid Chong his ultimate compliment: 'She’s become a really good defender, really good. I trust her. Never thought I’d say that, but I trust her.'”

CLICK HERE

Yes. Great piece. When Geno was saying this comment at the presser, he was nearly in tears. It must be incredibly satisfying to the coaches and the player when she struggles for so long but finally gets it together. Could not be more proud. I hope she caps it off with the best three game play of her career.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Tremendous article. It should be required reading for any player having issues with confidence.

Reaction Score
4 years ago ... wow time pasts so fast

chonguconn-250x310.jpg

Westchester/Putnam player of the year: Saniya Chong, who else?The LoHud Girls Basketball Blog

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Geno has shown himself to be a master of mind games with his players, but he's not infallible, which he is also quick to admit. Some of his talented players have eluded his attempts to mine their promise; Charde Houston being probably the most frustrating case.
That said, CD senior made a crucial point in that Times article: that coaches cannot work their magic alone, and certainly not until the struggling player understands what's missing. In this case, Saniy had to learn "that there isn’t anyone who can really stop her except her . . . She’s grown up so much.” What a pleasure to see her arrival at a time that's crucial, both for her and her team. And what a joy for her to feel that she can make a crucial difference in her team's fortunes.

Reaction Score
I can't find a link to watch the post game presser. Would someone please post a link. Thank you.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geno says with respet to the UCLA game: “The effort and play of Saniya, I thought it was the difference,” Coach Geno Auriemma said.

He agrees with her badass award. :D

Reaction Score
Great article, and a confirming statement from CD about her life's ethic. "“I’m a believer in that people who lose confidence, it’s because they aren’t working hard enough...."

It's an interesting contrast between CD's incredibly disciplined, but psychologically narrow approach to life, and what is taught in college (including UConn) classrooms about all sorts of physical and psychological contingencies regarding mental health. It's certainly not the entire answer that most of us are seeking from professionals in moments of emotional doubt or crisis. But for (far more often) better or (rarely, but sometimes) worse, it sure works on the hardcourt....And that's largely the great genius (and limitation) of sports: the only thing that's measured is the numbers.

Reaction Score
I like this quote, which should make Chong-Master happy:

As the N.C.A.A. tournament opened, Auriemma said: “I don’t know where we’d be without Saniya Chong right now. That’s how much she’s changed and added to our program.”

And, he told her, she would have to keep playing dependably for UConn to win its fifth consecutive title. “I don’t know how many people understand this,” Auriemma said to Chong, “but you might be the most important kid out on the court for as long as we play
.”

I am so happy for Saniya. What a way to close out her senior season.

This is exactly what I've said since I joined boneyard this year.

Thank goodness for SC.

Reaction Score
What if it had been decided to medically redshirt her last year?

Reaction Score
What if it had been decided to medically redshirt her last year?

Doesn't it kinda seem right for the natural progression things? SC had four years, found her game the past two years. CD has had this year with low stress and she can hopefully put it together and have her three big years??

Seems ok too me.

Reaction Score
Wonderful piece on Saniya. Too bad we don't see more like this from the local press.

Reaction Score
Great story. Most of this came from Geno's post game stuff. Now that he is shedding light on what has gone down the past 3 years I feel enlightened. Just so happy to see Saniya go out playing so well and getting the recognition for her ability that many of us always knew was there.

Reaction Score
I hope Saniya goes off for 30 tonight. It's her turn as three of her starting teammates have all had 30-40 point nights this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom