Great game for TO | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great game for TO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tyler is not a 4, but it has nothing to do with his height or weight. If you are 6'9 240 and have the quickness to play the 3, its not absurd to play the 3.

I see your point because Lebron is about an inch shorter and weighs more, but I really don't understand how you guys are saying he's not a 4. Are there more of you guys out there that actually think Tyler is a 3? When JC was referring to how good a group a wings he had, I'm pretty sure Tyler was not lumped in with that group.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What 3's will Tyler be able to defend on the perimeter? And most college 3s are 6'4"-6"5" guys, Tyler would be embarrased trying to defend basically NBA sized SG's out on the wing.

I think he's light enough on his feet to guard most 3s at this level without much trouble. Sure, a future NBA player is probably going to give him some trouble, but I see him doing better at the 3 than guarding a legitimate big man. And honestly, im basing this on what I saw last year. He has bulked up, so he might be able to defend those big guys this year. If he can, he's going to be a starter all season, because he will give most of the 4s he faces problems.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I see your point because Lebron is about an inch shorter and weighs more, but I really don't understand how you guys are saying he's not a 4. Are there more of you guys out there that actually think Tyler is a 3? When JC was referring to how good a group a wings he had, I'm pretty sure Tyler was not lumped in with that group.
I see him as a four. He doesn't have the foot speed to cover other teams threes. What he does is play like a three at times on offense. He's the second best option for zone busting after Jeremy.

I'm hoping he continues his progress against teams with better front courts. He a great contributor.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think he's light enough on his feet to guard most 3s at this level without much trouble. Sure, a future NBA player is probably going to give him some trouble, but I see him doing better at the 3 than guarding a legitimate big man. And honestly, im basing this on what I saw last year. He has bulked up, so he might be able to defend those big guys this year. If he can, he's going to be a starter all season, because he will give most of the 4s he faces problems.
LOL. I just gave the opposite opinion.

Reaction Score
He'll def get drafted, just don't think hes lottery bound due to his size and his inconstancy.

Reaction Score
I have always thought of TO as a 4 who can step out and hit a 15' jump shot. I have seen him play in person many times, and I have never thought of him as a 3. I expect him to be much tougher in conference games this year, as he is clearly bigger and stronger.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
LOL. I just gave the opposite opinion.

That's pretty funny that we responded at pretty much the same time with almost completely different opinions. What I will agree with is that he played more like a 3 at times last year offensively. He could flash to the foul line against the zone, and wither hit the shot, dribble through an opening in the paint, or hit the open man with a pass. Defensively he really struggled against most good front courts we faced. So I always thought of him more as a 3.

The way I see it, most college 3s don't have a great handle, or blistering speed. The ones that do would likely give Tyler trouble, but im sure he could stay in front of the others. However, if he has gotten strong enough to defend big men, then this argument is over. He should play the 4 every game.

Reaction Score
I don't see TO stepping out and shooting 15' ft jumpers as being a 3 man, it's just being a face up 4, ala a Chris Bosh type. Also, Tyler has the best post moves of anyone on the team, so he definitely can play like a traditional post PF. With his added muscle and strength he should be even better at carving post space now to be able to display those moves more often.

Reaction Score
No way AO is a lottery man.
He's 4 games into his Junior year.
It seems that he would not be, but let's give him some more time before we get to that conclusion. "No way" is a bit too strong at this juncture . . . IMO.
I'd say, consider his best 5 games last year. If he can channel that over a season, which maybe he can't, then he's a lottery pick, no?

Reaction Score
Actually Hilton's senior year, he lived on the 15-foot jump shot.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't pick him in the lottery, but he has been placed there in mock drafts since his Freshman year...

In which mock drafts? Most I've seen have him as a fringe first round pick at best. I love AO, but I'm slightly concerned about his lack of touch around the basket, something he hasn't developed much since his freshman year. That coupled with his lack of height/vertical leap makes me think he could potentially fall into the mid-second round ala Rick Jackson.

Reaction Score
I just don't think he has the potential to be drafted in the lottery. I cringe every time he receives a pass and goes up with a shot. But I like his outside shot, just hope he works on going up strong and finishing with touch.

Reaction Score
AO doesn't get above the rim enough to be a lottery pick - he'd lose a lot of the rebounding battles at the next level to the 6-11 types who have longer arms and more spring in their legs. He's a bruising, below-the-rim type of power forward who could fill a role somewhere if he lands in the right spot. Jeff Adrien even got a shot for a little while (and may get there again) and AO is four inches taller (although Jeff had more offensive polish). The only way AO starts moving up the draft boards is if he starts hitting 18-20 foot jumpers regularly by next year, and the NBA folks see him as a guy who can be really tough to deal with in a pick-and-pop.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Actually Hilton's senior year, he lived on the 15-foot jump shot.

This is where I disagree, but honestly I find myself only remembering a few things about that season. I remember a yawn and I remember Shad waving his arms for the killer three that he made so often in his career. But the pass never came...

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm surprised anyone would think TO is anything other than a 4. He's taken 27 shots this season and he has attempted as many threes as I have. He took 2 threes out of 67 shots last year (and again, hit as many as I did). I can't ever recall seeing TO on the floor with Alex and Drummond. I could be wrong on that one, but if it has happened it's not a standard look. I suppose he could see a couple of minutes at the 3, but the vast majority of his minutes will be in the front court. CV could hit 18 footers with consistancy - it didn't make him a 3. Donyell could makes threes and he was a power forward. TO is and will continue through this season to be a 4. Surprised this is even a debate.

Reaction Score
Hilton often hit face-up baskets that year, while Boone and Adrien were the ones posting up in the paint (Adrien later stepped out more as his career went on, but that year he was more of a 10-feet-and-in guy). Hilton would even step out to 17-18 feet from time-to-time - I remember a few times saying "no, no, no - yes" as he made them. Really he only ended up a lottery pick because he showed some face-up game to go with his athleticism. His low post offensive arsenal was never much to deal with, although he would shoot a little jump hook over shorter defenders sometimes.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I see him as a four. He doesn't have the foot speed to cover other teams threes. What he does is play like a three at times on offense. He's the second best option for zone busting after Jeremy.

I'm hoping he continues his progress against teams with better front courts. He a great contributor.

I'd say that Daniels is the 2nd best option. Hopefully Giffey becomes the third best option.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised anyone would think TO is anything other than a 4. He's taken 27 shots this season and he has attempted as many threes as I have. He took 2 threes out of 67 shots last year (and again, hit as many as I did). I can't ever recall seeing TO on the floor with Alex and Drummond. I could be wrong on that one, but if it has happened it's not a standard look. I suppose he could see a couple of minutes at the 3, but the vast majority of his minutes will be in the front court. CV could hit 18 footers with consistancy - it didn't make him a 3. Donyell could makes threes and he was a power forward. TO is and will continue through this season to be a 4. Surprised this is even a debate.

A college three is really often a third guard, although UConn has been a little unique with the Rudy Gay/Stanley Robinson/Roscoe Smith pedigree lately - going with more size and giving up some ball-handling. But a 3 will almost always have to chase guards around the perimeter defensively and create their own shots facing the basket one way or another (not just catching and shooting). Tyler will never fit that mold. I could see him being a spot up three-point shooter by the time he's a senior, but that's not unusual for college big men either.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'd say that Daniels is the 2nd best option. Hopefully Giffey becomes the third best option.
I was thinking more along the lines of a guy who can go to the foul line and hit a jumper. I agree DD is a zone buster with 3 point shooting.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I don't see TO stepping out and shooting 15' ft jumpers as being a 3 man, it's just being a face up 4, ala a Chris Bosh type. Also, Tyler has the best post moves of anyone on the team, so he definitely can play like a traditional post PF. With his added muscle and strength he should be even better at carving post space now to be able to display those moves more often.

I agree with Ace.

Reaction Score
Tyler is a 4 through and through. Not really sure what aspect of his game makes people think of him as a 3. If anything he's a stretch 4, like aceboon said.
He has surprisingly well-refined post moves, he scraps on the boards and he has a pretty nice outside shot so that defenses have to account for him. His "leftyness" in the post already gives him a pretty nice edge offensively, he just needs to get a little better defensively.
I'd also like to add that (when he's not making dumb pass attempts to feed the low post) he swings the ball beautifully and tends to make good decisions with the basketball.
I think Olander could end up shocking a few people by becoming a pretty damn good player (maybe an all big east selection at some point, no homer). If he keeps growing and his skills keep improving, he has a very good shot at getting drafted way higher than anyone would have ever imagined.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
IMO TO is a four who can play some center at the college level. DD and RS struggle at times staying in front of college 3s...TO is a 4/5

Reaction Score
In which mock drafts? Most I've seen have him as a fringe first round pick at best. I love AO, but I'm slightly concerned about his lack of touch around the basket, something he hasn't developed much since his freshman year. That coupled with his lack of height/vertical leap makes me think he could potentially fall into the mid-second round ala Rick Jackson.
you're right- i hadn't looked for a while... he was a projected lottery to mid first round pick as a freshman into his soph year.... i guess with his lack of development/ inconsistent play the last couple years he has sputtered to a fringe pick.... but either way, TO is playing better than the projected 1 or 2 pick and AO.... (and I don't see TO on any mock drafts yet....)

that was the point I guess- that he was playing better than the higher "rated" big guys...

Reaction Score
He's 4 games into his Junior year.
It seems that he would not be, but let's give him some more time before we get to that conclusion. "No way" is a bit too strong at this juncture . . . IMO.
I'd say, consider his best 5 games last year. If he can channel that over a season, which maybe he can't, then he's a lottery pick, no?
based on how the pro scouts view "potential", they'd be looking at him in those big games he played well in... they might see the inconsistency as something they could work out and take a flyer on, but the more he has inconsistent stretches, the more scouts will say it's not gonna change...

but you're absolutely right in saying that he very well COULD be a lottery pick based on potential... it's whether he actually realizes that potential and plays like a beast every game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom