Great Coaching | The Boneyard

Great Coaching

Reaction Score
Ever wonder what makes a coach special? I have and still have no real answer. Guess it is a matter of winning, but is winning due to coaching or players? I just watched Coach Vic rehash the MSST game with Lamar, a game MSST won by 50 points and played great, however Vic was not satisfied. He was concerned with the mistakes made and what he perceived as lack of proper coaching that allowed those mistakes, so I guess great coaching is similar to great playing, never be satisfied and continue to strive to improve.

Reaction Score
Will be interested in seeing where MSST ends up this season and how far Coach Vic can take them

Reaction Score
“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.” -Vince Lombardi

This is a great quote to live by in everyday life, but it really should be something that all coaches and athletes live by. Beyond what some might call “nitpicking”, a great coach also knows how to get the most out a player and changes the approach based on the individual player. No two people are alike and there’s no one size fits all when it comes to making good into great.

Reaction Score
Ms st. isn't a real factor to me. They lost too much leadership and perimeter scoring. They are very one dimensional. McGowan is good but she isn't a Griner.

Reaction Score
Your desire to extoll the virtues of Vic Shaeffer might be more appropriately published on a MS Board and there are at least 2.
Rocky, change the coach from Vic to Geno and I believe you will have the same philosophy. You could likely include Muffet, Dawn, Kim, etc and still get same philosophy. I simply was trying to illustrate,with the coach I know best, what I think makes a great coach. As to the MS boards I know of none dedicated to a Women Basketball. My reason for posting here is because you guys, in my opinion, are knowledgeable and Women basketball fans. If you find my post offensive, contact one of the administrators and if asked I will post no more.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Mississippi State is definitely a factor this year. We'll see about perimeter scoring. We have a lot of depth, and a lot of players to rotate around for Vic to find out how to best use his players. So much firepower, and so much potential to utilize.... is the difference this year.

I think Genespage (Msstate fan page) talks about women's basketball more than men's basketball. There's so many threads complaining about that. We definitely care about women's basketball a lot.

Reaction Score
I really like Vic, and watched a lot of their games last year. Such a shame that they didn't beat ND in Columbus.

It's also most unfortunate that we didn't get the much-anticipated MState - UConn rematch. What I'd like to see happen now is for Vic to call up Geno and set up a pair of non-conference games starting next season. It would be great for the game, with even more buzz than the resumption of our series with the Lady Vols.

Anyone else surprised that has not happened already?

Reaction Score
I really like Vic, and watched a lot of their games last year. Such a shame that they didn't beat ND in Columbus.

It's also most unfortunate that we didn't get the much-anticipated MState - UConn rematch. What I'd like to see happen now is for Vic to call up Geno and set up a pair of non-conference games starting next season. It would be great for the game, with even more buzz than the resumption of our series with the Lady Vols.

Anyone else surprised that has not happened already?
I would love to see MSST play UCONN. We play too many Lamar and Chopin State and not enough ND, Baylor, UCONN, etc in our non conference schedule. Top teams playing early will attract TV viewers and be good for the sport.

Reaction Score
I can't see Geno ever scheduling a non conference game against a team who has a UCONN transfer playing on that team. Now, it would be interesting to see UCONN playing either Arizona State (Courtney Edmark) or Mississippi State (AEH) in the NCAA's this post season. Now, those games would be interesting to see.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Rocky, change the coach from Vic to Geno and I believe you will have the same philosophy. You could likely include Muffet, Dawn, Kim, etc and still get same philosophy. I simply was trying to illustrate,with the coach I know best, what I think makes a great coach. As to the MS boards I know of none dedicated to a Women Basketball. My reason for posting here is because you guys, in my opinion, are knowledgeable and Women basketball fans. If you find my post offensive, contact one of the administrators and if asked I will post no more.
I also was one that disliked BYers who obviously were fans of another school that posted here, extolling the greatness of "their" team...and I posted about my dislike. I was promptly (and appropriately) put in my place by an administrator in that this board is also about WCBB. So I have accepted this advice and if someone posts about other schools I can just ignore the thread or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the UConn fans should take it as a compliment that so many non UConn fans are active on your board. You have the most active board, and a lot of the others are pretty active or slow. You also have a higher concentration of fans that are education on WCBB and other teams. Where as other boards fans aren't as educated on WCBB as a whole or even other teams. They tend to not look past their school. Which makes for very simple, close minded, boring banter about the game of WCBB.

Poster's on here post more about WCBB rather than just their prospective schools. So please be open minded to fans like myself. As, our boards suck in comparison. The Baylor board is active, but just seem to be what I described above. Some good posters and just many not. So take it as a compliment.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.” -Vince Lombardi

This is a great quote to live by in everyday life, but it really should be something that all coaches and athletes live by. Beyond what some might call “nitpicking”, a great coach also knows how to get the most out a player and changes the approach based on the individual player. No two people are alike and there’s no one size fits all when it comes to making good into great.

Another quote, this one from John Wooden: "Trying hard does not guarantee success, but not trying hard guarantees failure."

I think one characteristic of all great coaches is that they expect 100% effort 100% of the time. I believe I've heard Geno say (repeatedly) "At Connecticut we don't coach effort." If a player seems to need to be motivated, Geno doesn't recruit her. He's said his players don't take plays off; I'm sure most of us have seen a player jog down the court and be removed at the next whistle.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky, change the coach from Vic to Geno and I believe you will have the same philosophy.

Sorta like motherhood. I have nothing against other teams' fans participating here. But I do not want to wake up to find someone starting a thread about how great their coach is or how a certain player is blooming under his tutelage, etc etc. That is for a different forum imo.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm interested to see how Mississippi State. When SEC play starts.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why choose to be nasty? You could have just not responded.

Nasty? I was polite but wanted to let the OP know my opinion. I firmly believe that it is inappropriate to take topics pertaining to the virtues of some other team's coaching staff to this board and I continue to question the purpose behind such posting. Better they build up an active fan board for their team. Simple. Wanna see the definition of nasty, check out the natives of VollieLand responding to any mention of Connecticut or our coach.

Information about players, recruits, etc. no problem, but starting a thread to extoll the virtues of your other team's coach IMO is not good judgment and impolite. It would appear most here are a lot my ecumemnical than me and I'll accept that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nasty? I was polite but wanted to let the OP know my opinion. I firmly believe that it is inappropriate to take topics pertaining to the virtues of some other team's coaching staff to this board and I continue to question the purpose behind such posting. Better they build up an active fan board for their team. Simple. Wanna see the definition of nasty, check out the natives of VollieLand responding to any mention of Connecticut or our coach.

Information about players, recruits, etc. no problem, but starting a thread to extoll the virtues of your other team's coach IMO is not good judgment and impolite. It would appear most here are a lot my ecumemnical than me and I'll accept that.
The thread was clearly initiated by an MSU fan. I’m not sure what you were expecting when you opened it?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The thread was clearly initiated by an MSU fan. I’m not sure what you were expecting when you opened it?

Any number of fans identified with other college/U teams bring all sorts of good content this way. Why wouldn't I open it? Frankly, had he wrapped his Vic content is some attribute of the best WCBB coaches prattle I would have wandered off. I promise to never raise an eyebrow to another thing a fan of another team posts.

Reaction Score
Any number of fans identified with other college/U teams bring all sorts of good content this way. Why wouldn't I open it? Frankly, had he wrapped his Vic content is some attribute of the best WCBB coaches prattle I would have wandered off. I promise to never raise an eyebrow to another thing a fan of another team posts.
Rocky, my post was my opinion on what makes a coach successful. I used Vic simply because he is the coach I know best. Not sure I understand “had he wrapped his Vic content is some attribute of the best WCBB coaches prattle” but my assumption is you would have felt more comfortable if I were more generic and did not mention any names. In the future, I will attempt to be more generic with my post.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky, my post was my opinion on what makes a coach successful. I used Vic simply because he is the coach I know best. Not sure I understand “had he wrapped his Vic content is some attribute of the best WCBB coaches prattle” but my assumption is you would have felt more comfortable if I were more generic and did not mention any names. In the future, I will attempt to be more generic with my post.

Very generous and thoughtful of you @Jmsdawg, but I apparently was about the only one rubbed the wrong way by your approach. Pay it no heed.

Reaction Score
Sorta like motherhood. I have nothing against other teams' fans participating here. But I do not want to wake up to find someone starting a thread about how great their coach is or how a certain player is blooming under his tutelage, etc etc. That is for a different forum imo.
then go back to sleep.

Reaction Score
Ever wonder what makes a coach special? I have and still have no real answer. Guess it is a matter of winning, but is winning due to coaching or players? I just watched Coach Vic rehash the MSST game with Lamar, a game MSST won by 50 points and played great, however Vic was not satisfied. He was concerned with the mistakes made and what he perceived as lack of proper coaching that allowed those mistakes, so I guess great coaching is similar to great playing, never be satisfied and continue to strive to improve.

I don't know if Vic is a great coach, it's too early to say. Once I thought Walz was the heir apparent; boy was I wrong. However, Vic unlike some Div 1 coaches will let the bus run over him rather than his players; ala Geno. Greatness requires attention to details and expecting the kids to be their best while enjoying the game.
Geno no longer walks in the shadows of greatness others now walk in his shadow. Yet, with all this greatness he is human with human failings a perfect human has never ever been built. Uconn, in my imperfect humanness, has had two teams that came as close to perfection as any may ever achieve and Geno pushed for more.
Did I say I like and respect Vic, all the time hating his team beating Uconn.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I can't see Geno ever scheduling a non conference game against a team who has a UCONN transfer playing on that team. Now, it would be interesting to see UCONN playing either Arizona State (Courtney Edmark) or Mississippi State (AEH) in the NCAA's this post season. Now, those games would be interesting to see.
Why do you think Geno would have an issue with playing a team that had a UConn transfer? Do you have a quote from him or any other evidence to back that up?

UConn played Kentucky a few years ago in the tournament when Samarie Walker was on the Wildcat roster and made no issue about it (and, as I recall, Samarie had no impact on the game).

I think Geno is looking for the strongest OOC schedule he can find, and worries about transfers would not matter at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom