Great Coaching | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great Coaching

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
My point of view on the exchange between Jmsdawg and Rocky; the Boneyard at its best. A respectful discussion of differing viewpoints. Kudos to both of you.

Reaction Score
I don't know if Vic is a great coach, it's too early to say. Once I thought Walz was the heir apparent; boy was I wrong. However, Vic unlike some Div 1 coaches will let the bus run over him rather than his players; ala Geno. Greatness requires attention to details and expecting the kids to be their best while enjoying the game.
Geno no longer walks in the shadows of greatness others now walk in his shadow. Yet, with all this greatness he is human with human failings a perfect human has never ever been built. Uconn, in my imperfect humanness, has had two teams that came as close to perfection as any may ever achieve and Geno pushed for more.
Did I say I like and respect Vic, all the time hating his team beating Uconn.
Broadway, I agree Geno is the standard for Women Basketball Coaching. Now, my question is, how does Geno do it, does he really have a system that in itself motivates his player to push themselves beyond their perceived limits or is it the man himself that motivates those players. I played football on a high school team that had a coach we would die for but the coach that Followed him was almost disliked by the team, we won for the first and lost after he was gone. The scheme was the same, the man was different. I contend some coaches have that certain quality that motivates while other just do not. I will admit I do not know what that quality is or where it comes from.

Reaction Score
Broadway, I agree Geno is the standard for Women Basketball Coaching. Now, my question is, how does Geno do it, does he really have a system that in itself motivates his player to push themselves beyond their perceived limits or is it the man himself that motivates those players. I played football on a high school team that had a coach we would die for but the coach that Followed him was almost disliked by the team, we won for the first and lost after he was gone. The scheme was the same, the man was different. I contend some coaches have that certain quality that motivates while other just do not. I will admit I do not know what that quality is or where it comes from.
The Man himself!!! I believe with all top coaches, some exceptions, there is something that cannot be passed along to others, regardless how good they are as students of his processes. A lot has been written and said about Geno's ability to motivate--perhaps. But is that motivation by knowing the psychology of humans, i.e. which buttons to push or something intangible about the person? If Geno were a psychology master then those he could not connect with; what about them? From my less than vantage vantage point it would appear Geno does not treat all players the same. Some need a kick in the shins (or higher), some go for the candy, some need to be told how great they are (even when they ain't)--psychology? Why then aren't psychology majors coaching top teams.
He inspects his recruits with a microscope and their families for a good "match". Even kids with huge ego's must be malleable to some degree.
Shorter answer: Who knows, bet Geno doesn't either; but he'll take it. The MAN!!!

Reaction Score
My point of view on the exchange between Jmsdawg and Rocky; the Boneyard at its best. A respectful discussion of differing viewpoints. Kudos to both of you.
Rocky does not have a short fuse; take it from one who has for a long time pushed his buttons. He will come back at me with a witty sharp word or phrase that is funny. Some word or phrase hit him the wrong way. Personally, I saw nothing from either that was NASTY. The gentlemen they are it was handled between them with appropriate words.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Another characteristic of great coaches: there is no wasted time in practice. Every drill, every move, every word said has a purpose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom