Grad Transfer G Malcom Duvivier | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Grad Transfer G Malcom Duvivier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really has some range and good speed finishing. How is his D ?

A notch below CV on a good day. I think he has a chance to be one of the true sleepers in 2017. Same with Zhaire Smith. This is a kid under the radar with huge upside IMHO. He fits the Hungry Husky mold. I apologize for not discussing the OP's player but think we can do better. I like ZM. Not worried about rankings with him at this point as we are looking for some undervalued talent.

Reaction Score
I can appreciate that @Matrim55 has seen him play a bunch of times and thinks he can add value to this team.

But we're really diluting the label of "3 and D" guy if 36% on less than one make a game is qualifying these days. Seems more like an Andre Roberson type player (and I know Roberson is a few inches taller).

Reaction Score
I can appreciate that @Matrim55 has seen him play a bunch of times and thinks he can add value to this team.

But we're really diluting the label of "3 and D" guy if 36% on less than one make a game is qualifying these days. Seems more like an Andre Roberson type player (and I know Roberson is a few inches taller).

Duvivier has the potential to contribute. He started with Payton in the back court in the NCAA game against VCU. The guy is no scrub. That year I had P12 Network and watched quite a bit of OSU. That team could really defend especially in the back court although I have no idea what their final ranking was. If it were me I would opt to go for players similar to the ones I posted. If we were to end up with this guy for one year I def can live with it. I would just like to see us expand our reach on a few prospects with some long term upside.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Duvivier has the potential to contribute. He started with Payton in the back court in the NCAA game against VCU. The guy is no scrub. That year I had P12 Network and watched quite a bit of OSU. That team could really defend especially in the back court although I have no idea what their final ranking was. If it were me I would opt to go for players similar to the ones I posted. If we were to end up with this guy for one year I def can live with it. I would just like to see us expand our reach on a few prospects with some long term upside.
We need role players in the back court and a big man who we KNOW can play college hoops. I'd rather get a couple of guys like that than almost any of the '17 HS recruits we've been linked to.

We don't need a team of stars, and we don't need any more projects. We need to put guys around Jalen & Larrier (who will hopefully be 100%) who can rebound, run, defend and hit open shots in a D1 setting, and concentrate on getting high-level talents for the class of '18.

Reaction Score

I know it sounds obvious, but we need two way players. Nobody appreciates a guy who can defend his ass off like me, but to me with Duvivier - and again I'll yield to you and others who have seen him play more - there are a couple limiting factors, one being his size and the other being his offense. It sounds like, if he can guard 1-3, his size might not be that much of a problem. If you can force offenses to start 30 feet from the basket because of ball pressure, that's valuable, especially if we're starting a defensive liability at the five.

But it's really damn hard to win with a guard who can't do anything on offense, and this guy seems to be right on the cusp of that line. If you look at the roster now, Adams is a two way guy, Vital is a two way guy, Larrier can be, Gilbert...we'll see. Jackson and Enoch probably weren't going to be those guys, Durham might have been. Either way, we need more. Adams is probably good enough where we can get away with having one defense only guy on the court, but if you're gonna play Duvivier minutes and then play some freshman big minutes, you risk putting a cap on what could be a pretty dynamic group.

I'm fine bringing him on as a fifth guard. Given that we're going to be playing three guards most of the time, I'd prefer holding out for somebody better a the fourth guy. Clark from UMass is that guy to me right now - explosive scorer, big time free throw rate, size to guard wings, decent passer.

Reaction Score
I know it sounds obvious, but we need two way players. Nobody appreciates a guy who can defend his ass off like me, but to me with Duvivier - and again I'll yield to you and others who have seen him play more - there are a couple limiting factors, one being his size and the other being his offense. It sounds like, if he can guard 1-3, his size might not be that much of a problem. If you can force offenses to start 30 feet from the basket because of ball pressure, that's valuable, especially if we're starting a defensive liability at the five.

But it's really damn hard to win with a guard who can't do anything on offense, and this guy seems to be right on the cusp of that line. If you look at the roster now, Adams is a two way guy, Vital is a two way guy, Larrier can be, Gilbert...we'll see. Jackson and Enoch probably weren't going to be those guys, Durham might have been. Either way, we need more. Adams is probably good enough where we can get away with having one defense only guy on the court, but if you're gonna play Duvivier minutes and then play some freshman big minutes, you risk putting a cap on what could be a pretty dynamic group.

I'm fine bringing him on as a fifth guard. Given that we're going to be playing three guards most of the time, I'd prefer holding out for somebody better a the fourth guy. Clark from UMass is that guy to me right now - explosive scorer, big time free throw rate, size to guard wings, decent passer.
Assuming there is a mutual interest at some point with DC and we navigate any team chemistry issues...which always makes me shake my head but is a reality in this culture (unless you are a Buzz Williams clone as a coach see Seth Allen/Zach LeDay coming off the bench this year as Seniors to promote the no player is bigger than the team concept) we still have some key pieces available to survive the transfer storm even if we miss out on some of the names posted as subject heading posts. It is going to be so interesting to see what unfolds with us and nationally over the next several weeks plus.

Reaction Score

I would agree with you about his offensive liabilities except for the fact that we should have enough scoring at guard with Jalen, Vital and Gilbert and that he would only be here one year. We need to add guards for depth for this coming season. If he came on, it would only be for 2017 wouldn't it? Unless we have a stack of guards coming we don't know about the downside is minimal. That said, I'd rather have Blake Harris and a decent shooting wing if I had a choice.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I would agree with you about his offensive liabilities except for the fact that we should have enough scoring at guard with Jalen, Vital and Gilbert and that he would only be here one year. We need to add guards for depth for this coming season. If he came on, it would only be for 2017 wouldn't it? Unless we have a stack of guards coming we don't know about the downside is minimal. That said, I'd rather have Blake Harris and a decent shooting wing if I had a choice.
Don't we have enough slots for all three?

Reaction Score
Don't we have enough slots for all three?
Yes, but I would think we wouldn't want too many "reach" type guys that are 4 year commitments just to have bodies. We are recruiting some talented people for 2018 and want to have some scholarships left. That is why this guy isn't too much of a risk if he is limited offensively IMO.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yes, but I would think we wouldn't want too many "reach" type guys that are 4 year commitments just to have bodies. We are recruiting some talented people for 2018 and want to have some scholarships left. That is why this guy isn't too much of a risk if he is limited offensively IMO.
I'm confused. As you said, DV is a one year player so not a four year commitment, correct?

Reaction Score
I'm confused. As you said, DV is a one year player so not a four year commitment, correct?
Yes, I'm sorry I'm not being very clear I guess. I believe this player is a grad transfer, so he would be a one year player I think. He is relatively low risk. Some people are saying because of questionable offensive skills maybe we pass. I'm saying although I would rather use the scholarship for a more talented player there is relatively low risk due to the fact that the commitment would only be for this coming season when we need the bodies.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Per North Pole Hoops , Georgetown is recruiting former Oregon State point guard Malcolm Duvivier. Duvivier, who sat out last season due to “personal reasons” , will graduate from Oregon State in June and will be immediately eligible to play next season. Along with the Hoyas, Duvivier is being pursued by Ride, Akron and Niagara.

Georgetown Recruiting Oregon State Grad Transfer PG Malcolm Duvivier
If he grew up a Georgetown fan and they're recruiting him, would other schools really have a shot? Georgetown doesn't have many quality guards left on the roster either.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Maybe Coach Chills was just looking for dates.
Maybe he told Ewing he'd get Duvivier to Georgetown if he helped Waters get to UConn.

And yes, I'm kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger