Grad Students/future depth question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Grad Students/future depth question

Reaction Score
absolutely not!!...if they didn't want UConn the first time why would UConn want them now? You and I both know that something like that would never happen...:rolleyes:.:rolleyes:

Camara? Brittany Hunter? Results haven't been what was probably hoped for, but "never happen"?

Reaction Score
What if Boston gets to South Carolina, plays a semester or two, and decides she doesn't like it there and wants to come to UConn to play her last few years and be closer to her high school home? Would Geno accept? I think he would because he did with Brittany Hunter.

does nobody see these............? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
apparently you don't appreciate sarcasm

I see you're new here.....check the sarcasm button on the upper right corner of the screen..;)
my apologies charliebball. Don't know what came over me, must've been the emotions of seeing ND win :).

Reaction Score
geez....don't you see the two little purple faces?

My bad. Thought they were some cute raisins. Been spending too much time macerating the fruit for my fruitcake this week, I guess.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Would anyone from the 2016 class be available if there in a situation like the 2 players from A&M? Maybe Joyner Holmes would like a new start.

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Given the nature of this year's recruitment class, there's no harm in Geno exploring ALL of the options available to him. He can still come out of this smelling like a rose. He still has lots of time left to procure non top 100 players, as well as graduate players that will be looking to transfer, and would love to play for Geno and can help them next season.

It's way too early to panic. IF.........Geno has not brought anyone in by the time classes begin in late August, THEN we can begin to become concerned. Until then, IN GENO WE TRUST!!!!! He'll put his assistants to work to seek out and find the types of players he wants that will be available between now and the regular signing period April 17 - May 15, 2019.

Until then, lest I remind some of my Boneyard contemporaries that have become a bit "skittish" lately. The Green Bay Packers fans were worried about the team’s 1-2 start at the beginning of the 2014 season. Lest I reminded you of what Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said in a message he delivered to them in in week 4.

"Five letters here just for everybody out there in Packer-land: R-E-L-A-X," Rodgers said on ESPN Radio.
"Relax. We're going to be OK." ;) It's always darkest just before dawn. We'll be fine. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
What if Boston gets to South Carolina, plays a semester or two, and decides she doesn't like it there and wants to come to UConn to play her last few years and be closer to her high school home? Would Geno accept? I think he would because he did with Brittany Hunter.

He** yeah!! He'd personally pick her up at the airport. ;) When the basketball Gods smile on you and your program, you don't dismiss it, and turn your back. You graciously accept the blessing, and move on. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m simply pointing out a seeming contradiction from the BY’s resident proponent for loading up the boat with lots of rowers. I actually have been advocating the pursuit of transfers by UConn.

It's THAT time!! According to which way the wind is blowing, you do what you gotta do! :cool:

Reaction Score
When life gives you lemons, you make lemon aide. Given the nature of this year's recruitment class, there's no harm in Geno exploring ALL of the options available to him. He can still come out of this smelling like a rose. He still has lots of time left to procure non top 100 players, as well as graduate players that will be looking to transfer, and would love to play for Geno and can help them next season.

It's way too early to panic. IF....Geno has not brought anyone in by the time classes begin in late August, THEN we can begin to become very concerned. Until then, IN GENO WE TRUST!!!!! He'll put his assistants to work to seek out and find the types of players he wants that are and will be available between now and the regular signing period April 17 - May 15, 2019. Until then, as Aaron Rodgers says....RELAX. ;)
Still think he should get in touch with Calhoun's foreign agent over there in Africa and see if he can scrounge up a couple of 6'7 shot blockers.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Still think he should get in touch with Calhoun's foreign agent over there in Africa and see if he can scrounge up a couple of 6'7 shot blockers.

I'd also check with Megbagor to see if she's interested in a change of scenery. :cool:

Reaction Score
isn't there some rule on this board about not commenting on specific transfers? We don't want to be accused of tampering or something like that??? I thought I saw Nan post that a year or two ago.

Reaction Score
isn't there some rule on this board about not commenting on specific transfers? We don't want to be accused of tampering or something like that??? I thought I saw Nan post that a year or two ago.
What name specific transfers are you referring to?

Reaction Score

I thought that rule was for the players already on the team.

Reaction Score
Two players from the class of 2015 are currently spending their 4th year in college and would have remaining eligibility assuming they graduated this Spring. Don't see either jumping to WNBA although both are solid college players.
Ali Patberg from ND to Indiana.
Beatrice Mompremier from Baylor to Miami.
You and maybe 5 others have the knowledge to answer this question or maybe this is a question that can only be answered about a specific player.
Question: Which 5th year possible Geno candidate can IMMEDIATELY fit in and add power to next years team ?(power--defender post or scorer or both)

Reaction Score
Broadway, curious what answers you have to fill holes since just playing for UConn doesn't guarantee that players "get" the system. Molly and Irwin understand what Geno wants but haven't shown the talent to start or in some opinions, play significant minutes. We likely have Crystal, ONO (maybe), Williams, and Megan next year who understand and show the necessary skills. Other than these 4, where do you propose Geno get bodies to put in the Blue and While uniforms?
Either I phrased my post improperly or you misunderstood my wording. I have no disagreement with your above words.

Don't take this as negating your post: ONO, is talented as a scorer (ala Stevens) however that does not show she will be an effective post next season.

The ONLY place to get more TALENTED bodies next year is Europe, China, Australia or Transfers. That does not mean any will be ready next season to play within the Geno system or be effective with Div 1 USA CWBB.

No doubt Geno is up against a rock and a hard place--no fun for him in this.

Truly bad hindsight but never the less: The padding of his roster with obviously not ready for Div 1 CWBB with bench sitters puts Geno in this predicament. Emotionally for me and some other fans watching kids who can't contribute in a BIG WAY with the top 5
is a bit painful and get worse each year as others pass them by. So, on years when it was possible to recruit "Players" what was the point of going beyond 8/9 if that way the extent he intended to use? Hindsight, certainly.

Reaction Score
Dude, for next year, hasn't that ship sailed? High percentage of next year's frosh class is committed. Not a doom and gloom situation since I still view UConn as a top 10 team next year, but for upcoming 1-2 years Geno likely well served looking at all alternatives.

Someone posted 99 of 100 recruits were taken, Valid???

Next year's starting 5: CW, MW, Danger, Griffin/Coombs, ONO/Irwin. Top 10 is do-able, top 5 possible, top 2 probable, top 1 imaginable.

Geno stated in his comments on the subject of not getting Jones that Uconn even on bad years wins 29/30 games. 349.6 teams in Div WCBB would love to break 20 wins per year. I remember those fun years with the Men's BB team. If a fan is a fan only because of FF's or NC's
well?

Reaction Score
Someone posted 99 of 100 recruits were taken, Valid???

Geno stated in his comments on the subject of not getting Jones that Uconn even on bad years wins 29/30 games. 349.6 teams in Div WCBB would love to break 20 wins per year. I remember those fun years with the Men's BB team. If a fan is a fan only because of FF's or NC's
well?

when you're in the AAC that's not quite as great an accomplishment as it sounds...........................

Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be a number of graduate transfers available next year, but with the recent trend of undergraduate transfers being eligible to play right away (AEH, Shepard), there is always the possibility that UConn will join the trend of petitioning the NCAA for immediate eligibility, should they land an undergraduate transfer.
I cannot see Geno taking a one year player especially since he like to take a year to mold his recruits into what he wants.

Reaction Score
when you're in the AAC that's not quite as great an accomplishment as it sounds.......
I'm not sure what you mean; are you saying they all get 29 wins per year?
My point, not well stated, was that even in not so good years Uconn WBB wins a lot of games and I know of a few locally, in Central Va, that would be in Hog Heaven (no not Arkansas) with 20 wins.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I cannot see Geno taking a one year player especially since he like to take a year to mold his recruits into what he wants.
While I don’t think it’s his preference, Geno has already expressed his willingness to consider graduate transfers in his discussion with the SNY broadcast team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the question really is which quality bigs are graduating this spring with a year of eligibility left. I've thought about this, but right now I'm focused on the team we have.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Given the nature of this year's recruitment class, there's no harm in Geno exploring ALL of the options available to him. He can still come out of this smelling like a rose. He still has lots of time left to procure non top 100 players, as well as graduate players that will be looking to transfer, and would love to play for Geno and can help them next season.

It's way too early to panic. IF....Geno has not brought anyone in by the time classes begin in late August, THEN we can begin to become very concerned. Until then, IN GENO WE TRUST!!!!! He'll put his assistants to work to seek out and find the types of players he wants that are and will be available between now and the regular signing period April 17 - May 15, 2019. Until then, as Aaron Rodgers says....RELAX. ;)
I understand most of what you are saying. But I do wonder why lemons would need help! ;) But then you did too and edited your post. Good eye.

Reaction Score
While I don’t think it’s his preference, Geno has already expressed his willingness to consider graduate transfers in his discussion with the SNY broadcast team.
I'd also check with Megbagor to see if she's interested in a change of scenery. :cool:
@Scoop, @oldude. Geno want's at least a year to develop even a transfer--USUALLY. But this isn't a USUAL season of recruiting. Since Geno is not a fool and often pragmatic he MUST look at al options available to him.
Wouldn't you. Geno has been thought of as RIGID in EVERY thing. Successful people don't blow with the wind nor do they get anchored in philosophies . Nothing remains the same, each day is new, each person changes.

Reaction Score
Camara? Brittany Hunter? Results haven't been what was probably hoped for, but "never happen"?
With Britiany Hunter Geno took a gamble and WON. No she never gave him 40 minutes in a game. But when she was in she gave him all she had, and what she had Geno needed then. Camara, unless the guessers herein are right she will leave by gradation or otherwise not really producing. I hope they are wrong.
UConn has never had a "minor" player that was as great as Ms Hunter, she still tugs at my heart.
UConn has not been selected by the next recruiting class. If the result are the same or worse. Well, you know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom