Grad Students/future depth question | The Boneyard

Grad Students/future depth question

Reaction Score
Are there any grad students or potential ones that we know of that UCONN could look at? Or we won’t know until spring?? Hope he goes after any international players. I have a feeling camera won’t be back with a injury career which would leave 9 player roster and don’t want to speculate but Lexi hasn’t shown anything since at UCONN. Geno needs to bring in at least 2 for next year or walk ons will be needed. Notre Dame is going to be in the same boat next season with a 9 person roster with 4 starters graduating.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be a number of graduate transfers available next year, but with the recent trend of undergraduate transfers being eligible to play right away (AEH, Shepard), there is always the possibility that UConn will join the trend of petitioning the NCAA for immediate eligibility, should they land an undergraduate transfer.

Reaction Score
Transfers are such a huge factor in WBB these days. Look at SC winning it with the transfers of Davis etc. Without them SC wouldn't have won that year. And then there's ND and getting Jessica Sheppard, that was the key piece I feel for them with the consistency in the post and getting double doubles. I really hope that Geno and company will be a little more flexible and consider more transfers that maybe in the past they wouldn't have

Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be a number of graduate transfers available next year, but with the recent trend of undergraduate transfers being eligible to play right away (AEH, Shepard), there is always the possibility that UConn will join the trend of petitioning the NCAA for immediate eligibility, should they land an undergraduate transfer.

On the question of Graduate Transfers: 1 If they are an Arike or alike, which isn't likely it is a waste. 2. The time it takes a player to "get" Geno' system they are gone.
So, I don't see Grad Transfers in Geno's future.
I do see the probability of International Students filling some voids as possible.
Over the last decade or so Transfers rarely worked out for Geno; they were more bother that helpful.
Azura, in my opinion, was really good for Uconn. Not exactly what Uconn needed but her scoing I believe saved a few games and gave Uconn a decent shot at winning the ND game. She wasn't the waste some think.

@oldude: I'm asking you to go way out on a very thing branch so if you choose not to answer I can accept that. Whom among those in the top 10 WBB schools have the most potential to Jump ship AND would hit Uconn's floor running. I.e putting a reality check on Transfers being in Geno's future.

Reaction Score
Transfers are such a huge factor in WBB these days. Look at SC winning it with the transfers of Davis etc. Without them SC wouldn't have won that year. And then there's ND and getting Jessica Sheppard, that was the key piece I feel for them with the consistency in the post and getting double doubles. I really hope that Geno and company will be a little more flexible and consider more transfers that maybe in the past they wouldn't have
Hindsight is always 20/20, but I wish Geno had applied for a waiver for Azura so she could have played in 2016-17 and 2017-18. It likely would have been rejected, but would have been worth a shot in my opinion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Two players from the class of 2015 are currently spending their 4th year in college and would have remaining eligibility assuming they graduated this Spring. Don't see either jumping to WNBA although both are solid college players.
Ali Patberg from ND to Indiana.
Beatrice Mompremier from Baylor to Miami.

Reaction Score
Hindsight is always 20/20, but I wish Geno had applied for a waiver for Azura so she could have played in 2016-17 and 2017-18. It likely would have been rejected, but would have been worth a shot in my opinion.
I'm not questioning the past seasons and decisions. I think the team last two years were well positioned and then with Stevens last year, Geno did a great job, but it just wasn't meant to be. My contention is that the landscape is changing with transfers etc. and going forward I'm hoping that Geno and Co. can be more open to potential players coming into the program. Not asking them to change their philosophy but to just be open to new ideas. If you look at Duke's Mens program, Coach K has been praised (even though he doesn't like 1 and done) for literally beating Calipari at his own game in getting the top players. Coach K is old school, but he's been able to adapt well. I think Geno will as well, it's just my thoughts on this issue and maybe they've already been doing it behind the scenes and we as fans don't know about it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, don't be putting any money on getting that approved.

Reaction Score
I'm not questioning the past seasons and decisions. I think the team last two years were well positioned and then with Stevens last year, Geno did a great job, but it just wasn't meant to be. My contention is that the landscape is changing with transfers etc. and going forward I'm hoping that Geno and Co. can be more open to potential players coming into the program. Not asking them to change their philosophy but to just be open to new ideas. If you look at Duke's Mens program, Coach K has been praised (even though he doesn't like 1 and done) for literally beating Calipari at his own game in getting the top players. Coach K is old school, but he's been able to adapt well. I think Geno will as well, it's just my thoughts on this issue and maybe they've already been doing it behind the scenes and we as fans don't know about it.

nobody is putting a gun to Coach K's head to recruit one and dones...............if he hated the idea so much then he should simply recruit slightly lesser talents that he could coach up and build a solid team from over 3-4 years and add the odd one and done to compete for an NC............

Reaction Score

Why all the talk about transfers? Why would Geno want a transfer of any kind..............if they weren't good enough to be recruited by UConn in the first place? Isn't that the crux of UConn's recruiting issues?

Reaction Score
Why all the talk about transfers? Why would Geno want a transfer of any kind....if they weren't good enough to be recruited by UConn in the first place? Isn't that the crux of UConn's recruiting issues?
So what if they WERE recruited by UCONN but decided to go elsewhere. Lets say Charli Collier decides she would rather be at UCONN... what do you say to that Charliebball? She was good enough... just decided to go elsewhere...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why all the talk about transfers? Why would Geno want a transfer of any kind....if they weren't good enough to be recruited by UConn in the first place? Isn't that the crux of UConn's recruiting issues?
Aren’t you the guy who’s been pushing the idea that Geno should be recruiting lesser talented players so he doesn’t get caught with only one recruit? Now you’re confusing me.

Reaction Score
On the question of Graduate Transfers: 1 If they are an Arike or alike, which isn't likely it is a waste. 2. The time it takes a player to "get" Geno' system they are gone.
So, I don't see Grad Transfers in Geno's future.
I do see the probability of International Students filling some voids as possible.
Over the last decade or so Transfers rarely worked out for Geno; they were more bother that helpful.
Azura, in my opinion, was really good for Uconn. Not exactly what Uconn needed but her scoing I believe saved a few games and gave Uconn a decent shot at winning the ND game. She wasn't the waste some think.

@oldude: I'm asking you to go way out on a very thing branch so if you choose not to answer I can accept that. Whom among those in the top 10 WBB schools have the most potential to Jump ship AND would hit Uconn's floor running. I.e putting a reality check on Transfers being in Geno's future.
Broadway, curious what answers you have to fill holes since just playing for UConn doesn't guarantee that players "get" the system. Molly and Irwin understand what Geno wants but haven't shown the talent to start or in some opinions, play significant minutes. We likely have Crystal, ONO (maybe), Williams, and Megan next year who understand and show the necessary skills. Other than these 4, where do you propose Geno get bodies to put in the Blue and While uniforms?

Reaction Score
Aren’t you the guy who’s been pushing the idea that Geno should be recruiting lesser talented players so he doesn’t get caught with only one recruit? Now you’re confusing me.
Dude, for next year, hasn't that ship sailed? High percentage of next year's frosh class is committed. Not a doom and gloom situation since I still view UConn as a top 10 team next year, but for upcoming 1-2 years Geno likely well served looking at all alternatives.

Reaction Score
Two players from the class of 2015 are currently spending their 4th year in college and would have remaining eligibility assuming they graduated this Spring. Don't see either jumping to WNBA although both are solid college players.
Ali Patberg from ND to Indiana.
Beatrice Mompremier from Baylor to Miami.

Would anyone from the 2016 class be available if there in a situation like the 2 players from A&M? Maybe Joyner Holmes would like a new start.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dude, for next year, hasn't that ship sailed? High percentage of next year's frosh class is committed. Not a doom and gloom situation since I still view UConn as a top 10 team next year, but for upcoming 1-2 years Geno likely well served looking at all alternatives.
I’m simply pointing out a seeming contradiction from the BY’s resident proponent for loading up the boat with lots of rowers. I actually have been advocating the pursuit of transfers by UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Would anyone from the 2016 class be available if there in a situation like the 2 players from A&M? Maybe Joyner Holmes would like a new start.
That's the tricky part Williams and Howard completed their degrees in 3 years. To complete you degree in 3 years requires you ta take more classes which requires the permission of school. Not many school willing to do this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m simply pointing out a seeming contradiction from the BY’s resident proponent for loading up the boat with lots of rowers. I actually have been advocating the pursuit of transfers by UConn.
You are mixing up your metaphors. It was casting a wider net, not loading up the boat. :D:D:D

Reaction Score
nobody is putting a gun to Coach K's head to recruit one and dones.....if he hated the idea so much then he should simply recruit slightly lesser talents that he could coach up and build a solid team from over 3-4 years and add the odd one and done to compete for an NC..
You’re pretty funny. No idea what the point of your response is. Nobody says he hates it. He dislikes one and done idea because it doesn’t allow greater development in college before transitioning to pros. Of course he would love to coach up elite talents, but why would he take on lesser talents to coach up 3-4 years when he’s proven he can get the most talented kids and coach them up for one year. And still be in contention for national championships. Coach K is intelligent not arrogant enough to think he’s the coaching god. As Geno has said talent usually wins out.

Reaction Score
You’re funny. Aren’t you the guy that posts everything you can think of about UConn recruiting and team makeup? Wait aren’t you also the guy who keeps complaining you wish we should’ve gotten a forward or big body. But wait now we shouldn’t be talking about transfers. Hey I guess we all need to have you screen our posts before we hit send.

Here a few reasons why Geno would consider a transfer:
1) they believe the player has developed into a UConn type player after watching them freshman year
2) UConn recruited them but they chose another school and realized they want to be at UConn and UConn has the room and need for them
3) BECAUSE GENO HAS DONE IT BEFORE

Reaction Score
apparently you don't appreciate sarcasm
You’re pretty funny. No idea what the point of your response is. Nobody says he hates it. He dislikes one and done idea because it doesn’t allow greater development in college before transitioning to pros. Of course he would love to coach up elite talents, but why would he take on lesser talents to coach up 3-4 years when he’s proven he can get the most talented kids and coach them up for one year. And still be in contention for national championships. Coach K is intelligent not arrogant enough to think he’s the coaching god. As Geno has said talent usually wins out.

I see you're new here....................check the sarcasm button on the upper right corner of the screen............;)

Reaction Score

sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun

1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
    "his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
    synonyms:derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; More

Reaction Score
So what if they WERE recruited by UCONN but decided to go elsewhere. Lets say Charli Collier decides she would rather be at UCONN... what do you say to that Charliebball? She was good enough... just decided to go elsewhere...

absolutely not!!.............if they didn't want UConn the first time why would UConn want them now? You and I both know that something like that would never happen..................:rolleyes:.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
absolutely not!!...if they didn't want UConn the first time why would UConn want them now? You and I both know that something like that would never happen...:rolleyes:.:rolleyes:
What if Boston gets to South Carolina, plays a semester or two, and decides she doesn't like it there and wants to come to UConn to play her last few years and be closer to her high school home? Would Geno accept? I think he would because he did with Brittany Hunter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom