Gracious Boatright | The Boneyard

Gracious Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A friend of mine, a big UConn fan and a woman a good number of years older than RB, spotted him this week at Target in Manchester. She couldn't resist going over to him. Not only was he friendly, but posed for several very good pictures. Good for him for going beyond the call.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A friend of mine, a big UConn fan and a woman a good number of years older than RB, spotted him this week at Target in Manchester. She couldn't resist going over to him. Not only was he friendly, but posed for several very good pictures. Good for him for going beyond the call.
My experience with UConn athletes is that, with limited exceptions, they are really good to the fans.

Reaction Score
My experience with UConn athletes is that, with limited exceptions, they are really good to the fans.
I think that overall we've been blessed with not only only good players over the years but really good kids as well. Kudos to JC, KO and their staffs for having a good eye for character.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
One time Hasheem snubbed me on a high-five attempt at Carriage during Spring Weekend. My friends still bust my balls about it to this day.
He probably thought you were going for a boob grab.

Reaction Score
One time Hasheem snubbed me on a high-five attempt at Carriage during Spring Weekend. My friends still bust my balls about it to this day.
Funny you say that at the final four in 2011 Hasheem high fived me and my father at least 5 times.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You'd be suprised how unfriendly Toraino Walker is if you walk in on him having sex with two girls at 3 on a Sunday afternoon.

I'd have asked him for a picture but the whole cellphone thing didn't exist yet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can attest that Steve Pikell is such a good guy I do root for his Stony Brook teams.

Reaction Score
I just have to mention how amazing UConn players were at the team hotel after the UK game in Dallas. From TSam showing us how to three-sweep and hotel lobby stories with Khalid to Burrell laughing as my wife explained she didn't see The Pass because she was a nervous kid hiding under a blanket and Donny Marshall running over to press the camera button on our group pic of the night. I haven't been able to root for my pro teams the same since because that night I realized they're just teams we like and UConn is something we're a part of.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
My father was at some event with the players back in 2004. He said all the players were great to the fans. He's not very big on hounding players for autographs or pictures, but when Emeka walked by he couldn't resist and asked for a picture. Emeka was great and put his arm around my dad while a friend tried to take the picture, but he was having issues and it took a minute before he could figure out the camera. Meanwhile, my father and Emeka stood there awkwardly waiting. Finally my dad says "I have to say, Emeka, this is the longest I've ever had my arm around another man." They both burst out laughing, and my dad's buddy finally got the picture snapped. The result was a great shot of the two of them with huge grins on their faces.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
We met and took pictures with coach Calhoun and the players after a game at USF a few years back set their bus. Got some great shots and everyone was very friendly and super gracious.

CL82

Reaction Score
...and now we will as well.;)

CL82

Reaction Score
My father was at some event with the players back in 2004. He said all the players were great to the fans. He's not very big on hounding players for autographs or pictures, but when Emeka walked by he couldn't resist and asked for a picture. Emeka was great and put his arm around my dad while a friend tried to take the picture, but he was having issues and it took a minute before he could figure out the camera. Meanwhile, my father and Emeka stood there awkwardly waiting. Finally my dad says "I have to say, Emeka, this is the longest I've ever had my arm around another man." They both burst out laughing, and my dad's buddy finally got the picture snapped. The result was a great shot of the two of them with huge grins on their faces.
Great story! You have to post that picture.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Certain playters come to mind. Ed Nelson, Eddy Saunders, Taliek, Grandpa, Tate George, KFree, Jeff Adrien, Hash, and more than I can remember.
Only cold guy I encountered was Donnie Marshall. Returning from west Coast NCAA loss he refused to speak to anyone at Bradley.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Certain playters come to mind. Ed Nelson, Eddy Saunders, Taliek, Grandpa, Tate George, KFree, Jeff Adrien, Hash, and more than I can remember.
Only cold guy I encountered was Donnie Marshall. Returning from west Coast NCAA loss he refused to speak to anyone at Bradley.

Weird. My old man ran into Donnie at Highland Park Market in Coventry last month. Had a nice talk with him about the program, and he was apparently very gregarious.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm glad Boat graciously decided to take over today.
We needed that.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Dribbles said:
Certain playters come to mind. Ed Nelson, Eddy Saunders, Taliek, Grandpa, Tate George, KFree, Jeff Adrien, Hash, and more than I can remember. Only cold guy I encountered was Donnie Marshall. Returning from west Coast NCAA loss he refused to speak to anyone at Bradley.

Because you're not a chick. Donnie always has te for the ladies

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Weird. My old man ran into Donnie at Highland Park Market in Coventry last month. Had a nice talk with him about the program, and he was apparently very gregarious.

Not surprised. How many years difference between two occurrences. He was young, and the hurt of losing was tough. Plus, as a sometime commentator he's now in the PR business. Lord, he was a beautiful player. As I recall he was high scorer for the tourney that year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Great story! You have to post that picture.

Ask and you shall receive. Unfortunately it was tough to get the lighting right, but it turned out OK.

Attachments

• 20150128_184403.jpg
    20150128_184403.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 130

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Returning from west Coast NCAA loss he refused to speak to anyone at Bradley.

That was an anomaly due to the loss, I'm sure. I saw him after a Pride game, dead tired, incredibly gracious to a guy and his kids who stopped him to say hello.

Reaction Score
Scote and I saw Boat and Mom with his family / friends walking on the street near team hotel in San Juan for the tip-off this year. We high fived "UConn" etc. I said "Love you Boat!" when we walked past and he stopped and looked at me and the eyes and said "thank you man". Seemed very genuine and appreciative of us fans and he was happy as a clam. Great attitude. Think I said "Love you Boat!" but might have said "Go Huskies!". Had a few cocktails in me at the time. Imagine that.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Yeah Boat is really nice. He gladly got a picture with my daughter at the Mohegan Sun before the Alumni game - all smiles, etc. I can't say the same for Jeremy Lamb, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom