Gracious Boatright | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gracious Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think that overall we've been blessed with not only only good players over the years but really good kids as well. Kudos to JC, KO and their staffs for having a good eye for character.

This is what I think of when I've read a column about graduation rates from Jacobs or William Rhoden.

Jim Calhoun & now Kevin Ollie raised mature good kids who will get something done in life. Sure there are exceptions - but not a swath of guys that fell. I like seeing guys 20 & 25 years later when they are genuinely good people. After all, as a Parent, that everything to me.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Yeah Boat is really nice. He gladly got a picture with my daughter at the Mohegan Sun before the Alumni game - all smiles, etc. I can't say the same for Jeremy Lamb, though.

I don't think Jeremy Lamb has ever smiled, so I wouldn't take it personally.

Reaction Score
my girlfriend worked at manchester TGI Friday's part time the first year or two we were together. In a short few months, she waited on J Lamb, Roscoe Smith, and Andre Drummond. All were very nice and polite, and either signed an autograph or posed for a photo. This all happened around mine and my mother's birthday (we're both absurd super-fans) so she had amazing birthday presents that year. I will cherish my Roscoe Smith signed TGI Friday's order sheet that says "can you smell it?" forever

Reaction Score
Certain playters come to mind. Ed Nelson, Eddy Saunders, Taliek, Grandpa, Tate George, KFree, Jeff Adrien, Hash, and more than I can remember.
Only cold guy I encountered was Donnie Marshall. Returning from west Coast NCAA loss he refused to speak to anyone at Bradley.
I talked to Donnie after we won in Dallas and he seemed decent and courteous but I could tell in his tone that he was just trying to be nice. Now Ray Allen who I went to school with at UCONN could be a jerk. He was so full of himself at UCONN and in Dallas he was pretty much into himself and not talking to anyone who wasn't a player or coach.

The guy who I met at Dallas who was really nice was Khalid El-Amin. Seemed like a genuine down to earth guy.

Reaction Score
I can attest that Steve Pikell is such a good guy I do root for his Stony Brook teams.

my brother worked with Steve at the Farmington A&P when Steve was still at St Pauls HS.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ask and you shall receive. Unfortunately it was tough to get the lighting right, but it turned out OK.
Ha ha - That's terrific. Thanks!

Reaction Score
Some say that Roscoe Smith makes him laugh... but to that Lamb would say, "he never makes me laugh... but right now he's actin' real funny"

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ran into Lamb and the disowned AO at the Student Union in the Fall of '11. Lamb was very quiet and aloof, but it seemed much more to be coming from shyness than impoliteness. As much hate AO gets (perhaps deservedly so), he was incredibly nice and joked around with me for a few minutes before I got a picture with the two of them. Oh, how far they fall...

Reaction Score
I went to school with Burrell, Ollie, Fair, Donny etc.. and had good interactions with them. The one guy I want to share a quick story about is Burrell though, he was a terrific guy.

Burrell and I shared a class together, but I don't think either of us went that often. For a journalism class, I wrote almost all my papers about the basketball team, including one on Burrell as a two sport athlete. I didn't know him well but when I asked if I could interview him for the story, he said yes and said I could come by his apartment. He roomed with Oliver Macklin. I went there for about an hour that night and they were both very cool. Burrell answered all my questions for a journalism class paper that would never see the light of day! He couldn't have been any more gracious.

About a week later he was in a long line to get into the club across the street from Ted's and Huskies (Upper Deck at the time). I saw him in line as I was going into the restaurant next door but didn't want to bother him. The next thing I know, he got out of line and went way out of his way to come over and shake my hand! He was a star player and well off already financially due to his baseball contract. You'd never know it though, as he was the nicest, most down to earth athlete I met in my time there.

Reaction Score
I went to school with Burrell, Ollie, Fair, Donny etc.. and had good interactions with them. The one guy I want to share a quick story about is Burrell though, he was a terrific guy.

Burrell and I shared a class together, but I don't think either of us went that often. For a journalism class, I wrote almost all my papers about the basketball team, including one on Burrell as a two sport athlete. I didn't know him well but when I asked if I could interview him for the story, he said yes and said I could come by his apartment. He roomed with Oliver Macklin. I went there for about an hour that night and they were both very cool. Burrell answered all my questions for a journalism class paper that would never see the light of day! He couldn't have been any more gracious.

About a week later he was in a long line to get into the club across the street from Ted's and Huskies (Upper Deck at the time). I saw him in line as I was going into the restaurant next door but didn't want to bother him. The next thing I know, he got out of line and went way out of his way to come over and shake my hand! He was a star player and well off already financially due to his baseball contract. You'd never know it though, as he was the nicest, most down to earth athlete I met in my time there.
No wonder why it's hard to recruit here. A star player has to wait in line to get into a club. He problably had to pay for drinks too if he ever made it in.

Reaction Score
He wasn't here for long but Ater Majok is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
Easily one of my favorite memories from college was being wasted off my @ss in line at Sgt. Pep's after the 2010 team had one of their many frustrating losses (I think WVU?). I saw Ater surrounded by 4 smoking hot girls who I shoved out of the way and said ''forget about that game today you guys gotta go out there and beat Texas next week." He gave me a big smile and a high five said something like "you got it man, I'll do my best."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom