Gottlieb to Cavs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gottlieb to Cavs

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Well one of the numbers is wrong. Since there are 3 refs listed, either there are 8 female coaches & 11 on-court OR 7 & 10.

As of April 2019, the following women were currently serving as assistant coaches in the NBA:
  • Lindsey Harding (Philadelphia Sixers)
  • Becky Hammon (San Antonio Spurs)
  • Jenny Boucek (Dallas Mavericks)
  • Natalie Nakase (Los Angeles Clippers)
  • Kristi Toliver (Washington Wizards)
  • Karen Stack Umlauf (Chicago Bulls)
Nancy Lieberman had previously been an assistant coach with the Sacramento Kings.

Lindsay Gottlieb is #8. So, as of today, there have been eight female assistant coaches, seven of whom are currently active.

And at least 2 front-office jobs -- Swin & Sue Bird.

You missed the biggest one, in terms of a front office job. In December 2018, the Indiana Pacers hired Kelly Krauskopf as the Pacer's assistant general manager -- the first female assistant general manager in NBA history.

Reaction Score
An excellent opportunity for Niel Ivey

Ivey has said she does not want to move before her son graduates HS. He will be a senior this coming year, so the likelihood she goes now seems incredibly low.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Almost as good as Mike Neighbors exiting from WA.

:eek: That still stings.

Neighbors at least set a school single season record for victories and got to the Sweet 16 right before he exited. Gottlieb...didn't do that.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
An excellent opportunity for Niel Ivey
Ivey has said she does not want to move before her son graduates HS. He will be a senior this coming year, so the likelihood she goes now seems incredibly low.

Jaden Ivey, Niele's son, will -- indeed -- be a senior this year before heading off to play basketball at Purdue. He's been pretty much raised on the ND campus, so Irish fans totally get Niele wanting to stay the course with Jaden.

Given that Coach McGraw is up for more challenges (she'll have one this year ;) ) at ND, I could see Niele looking for/entertaining opportunities if the right one arises. It's not as if she won't interview if she thinks the right one pops up, as her involvement in the Vandy process shows. So I'll be keeping an eye on what schools pop up next year in Vowelguy's annual coaching change thread.

Would be inerested in our West Coast contributors' takes on both the Cal job and/or possible candidates.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Almost as good as Mike Neighbors exiting from WA.

Yes but at least it can be justified by going back home and if his second season is any indication, he is doing a pretty good rebuilding job.

Reaction Score
PN #115 Lauren Fields has asked to be released from her LOI to Cal

Cal returns 1 starter and 3 other players who got some time last year and would seem to have the inside track on starting. They've got 2 players who basically have missed the past 2 yrs bc of injuries, a 6'7" senior from CHN, a PN #66 recruit, and two others who got in almost no games. WNIT team? Maybe, assuming no one else jumps ship. New coach will need a big recruiting class.
[I assume our West Coasters will correct me.]

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I definitely was thinking Cal was going to be in rebuilding mode this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jaden Ivey, Niele's son, will -- indeed -- be a senior this year before heading off to play basketball at Purdue. He's been pretty much raised on the ND campus, so Irish fans totally get Niele wanting to stay the course with Jaden.

Given that Coach McGraw is up for more challenges (she'll have one this year ;) ) at ND, I could see Niele looking for/entertaining opportunities if the right one arises. It's not as if she won't interview if she thinks the right one pops up, as her involvement in the Vandy process shows. So I'll be keeping an eye on what schools pop up next year in Vowelguy's annual coaching change thread.

Would be inerested in our West Coast contributors' takes on both the Cal job and/or possible candidates.
Why did Jaden choose Purdue over N.D.?

Reaction Score
I can't imagine what Cleveland sees in her. As a Cal season ticket holder for the last six years I got to see many Cal games. She wasn't a very good coach. She fattened up on cupcakes before conference play and in the last four years had a losing record in PAC12 play. Cal's defense was poor and her offense was very predictable- throw it to the center even when triple covered. Cal looked like a last place team in the PAC12 even before her departure. Cal lost its top three scorers, the fourth leading scorer (Kiana Smith) transferred to Louisville, its longtime associate head coach (Charmin Smith) quit and became an assistant at the N.Y. Liberty. Given the disaster that Cal basketball will be this was a great career move for Lindsay but it certainly leaves Cal basketball hanging by a thread. I feel bad for the remaining players and it would not surprise me to see more transfers. Oh, and UConn's first game will be against Cal at Storrs. I hope the NCAA installs a mercy rule for that game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well, Charmin Smith named new HC so here’s hoping she can get the program back on track as the person in charge. Hopefully retains recruits and Forbes as well. I like Charmin and am optimistic that things will improve. It will take a couple seasons, but there’s hope for the Bears.

Reaction Score
Well, Charmin Smith named new HC so here’s hoping she can get the program back on track as the person in charge. Hopefully retains recruits and Forbes as well. I like Charmin and am optimistic that things will improve. It will take a couple seasons, but there’s hope for the Bears.
Might have a good chance of keeping Forbes...

"[Charmin Smith] is largely credited with Cal’s recent success on the court and developing multiple WNBA players, including Boyd and recent 1st round pick Kristine Anigwe...

...Earlier this week, Cal’s star freshmen/sophomore-to-be McKenzie Forbes announced that she would leave Cal to look for another school and actually name-dropped Charmin Smith [leaving] as her reason for leaving."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom