Gottlieb to Cavs | The Boneyard

Gottlieb to Cavs

Reaction Score
Interesting that they say she's the 8th woman as an assistant or in player development. Who are the others?

* Hammon
* Lieberman
* Sue Bird

Not sure if Swin's role would fall under that category.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I saw the thread title and was
scratch.gif
scratch.gif
scratch.gif
for a second..... thinking Doug Gottlieb is leaving radio/tv to coach with the Cavs?
scratch.gif
Then I was thinking the Cleveland Cavs... or the Virginia Cavs... scratch.gif

As @Plebe said.. this really is outta left field..... deep left field

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is big news on two fronts. Certainly MBB and Cav fans are saying, who? But quality P5 jobs just don't come a knockin' every day. I'm curious to see who lands this plum. As for one ex-coach,

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know the perfect candidate for Cal. Someone with coaching experience at a Large Public P5 institution.... as well as coaching experience at an excellent academic institution (private). Experience coaching at a school where your biggest rival resides in the same metro area :rolleyes::cool:;)

pray.jpg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I know the perfect candidate for Cal. Someone with coaching experience at a Large Public P5 institution.... as well as coaching experience at an excellent academic institution (private). Experience coaching at a school where your biggest rival resides in the same metro area :rolleyes::cool:;)

View attachment 43827
If your prayer is answered ... it'll be in the form of Goestenkors.

Reaction Score

Sylvia Hatchell ?

Reaction Score
Interesting that they say she's the 8th woman as an assistant or in player development. Who are the others?

* Hammon
* Lieberman
* Sue Bird

Kristi Toliver is a Wizards assistant

Reaction Score
Cal's Lindsay Gottlieb hired by John Beilein as an asst coach at Cleveland Cavs !

And a P5 job opens up VERRRRRRRY late!
Excellent move for her, if she intends to keep coaching, she couldn't learn (improve her craft) from a better "coach" - Beilein is a coach's coach, and a great guy.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

* Hammon
* Lieberman
* Sue Bird

"Gottlieb will join a growing number of female assistants in the NBA. Becky Hammon has made the most headlines with the San Antonio Spurs since she is the longest tenured, but Kristi Toliver of the Washington Wizards, Jenny Boucek of the Dallas Mavericks, Natalie Nakase of the Los Angeles Clippers, Karen Stack-Umlauf of the Chicago Bulls and Lindsey Harding of the Philadelphia 76ers are making their presence felt as well."

source: Cal HC Lindsay Gottlieb Reportedly Hired as Cavaliers Assistant Coach

Reaction Score
Nice that a GM wanted to pursue a woman for its new coaching staff and she didn’t exactly pursue them. Wish they would put some of this energy into the WNBA.

Reaction Score
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, she seems like a great woman, and she clearly has some coaching talent, but what about her resume screams Cavs assistant coach? She hasn't made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA tournament, where her team is ALWAYS on the bubble, since 2013, when she got to the FF with recruits that weren't hers.

This hire is confusing to me.

Reaction Score
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, she seems like a great woman, and she clearly has some coaching talent, but what about her resume screams Cavs assistant coach? She hasn't made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA tournament, where her team is ALWAYS on the bubble, since 2013, when she got to the FF with recruits that weren't hers.

This hire is confusing to me.

The original tweet I saw called her "one of WCBB's top coaches," which I would reject.
But, she apparently has been to a lot of Golden St practices as a guest of Steve Kerr and since he's about as smart a coach as there is, his blessing gets a lot of weight. Plus , as a Brown grad, she's clearly smart.
And I'd add that the requirements of NBA assistant do not fully overlap with WCBB HC, so it's possible that the former will tap more into her strengths than the latter. That said, no idea if she'll be successful. But what the heck does a 2nd or 3rd asst do anyway?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Completely bizarre. Very much considered a mediocre coach in the Pac. I believe one season left on her contract and she departs with a very empty cupboard.

Cal is a great school but I don't think wbb there is a great job.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

* Hammon
* Lieberman
* Sue Bird

I saw this but it includes refs

Commissioner Adam Silver has been pushing for more female inclusion in the league and Gottlieb raises the number of women with on-court roles to 10. She joins Becky Hammon (Spurs assistant), Kristi Toliver (Wizards assistant), Karen Stack-Umlauf (Bulls assistant), Natalie Nakase (Clippers player development), Jenny Boucek (Mavericks assistant), Lindsey Harding (Sixers player development) and referees Lauren Holtkamp, Ashley Moyer-Gleich and Natalie Sago.

Reaction Score
I saw this but it includes refs

Well one of the numbers is wrong. Since there are 3 refs listed, either there are 8 female coaches & 11 on-court OR 7 & 10.

1. Gottlieb raises the number of women .... . She joins
  2. Becky Hammon (Spurs assistant),
  3. Kristi Toliver (Wizards assistant),
  4. Karen Stack-Umlauf (Bulls assistant),
  5. Natalie Nakase (Clippers player development),
  6. Jenny Boucek (Mavericks assistant),
  7. Lindsey Harding (Sixers player development) and

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics