Gottleib at it again. | The Boneyard

Gottleib at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN Experts picked who will win Early Tournaments. His hard on for UConn shows again ...

Battle 4 Atlantis (in the Bahamas)
Tournament Bracket

Bilas: Connecticut over Florida State
Brennan: Connecticut over Florida State
Fraschilla: Connecticut over Florida State
Gasaway: Connecticut over Harvard
Gottlieb: Florida State over Connecticut
Katz: Connecticut over Florida State
King: Connecticut over Florida State
Lunardi: Connecticut over Florida State
Medcalf: Connecticut over Florida State
O’Neil: Connecticut over Florida State
Simon: Connecticut over Florida State

FSU will be a nice battle - but his analysis on teams are laughable at times.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This is good news! whew... just when i think hes trying to mess with our mojo he helps us by picking against us again!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I think its reasonable to pick FSU over UCONN if we end up meeting. Heck, im nervous about UNC Ashville and the possibility of playing UCF or College of Charleston in the second round.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think its reasonable to pick FSU over UCONN if we end up meeting. Heck, im nervous about UNC Ashville and the possibility of playing UCF or College of Charleston in the second round.
this team really isn't firing on all cylinders yet, and maybe won't for a good portion of the year. after all DD and AD are both freshmen and we won't have RB for 3 more games. it will take him time to mesh in games.

unranked Oklahoma destroyed Coppin State by 30. we ended up beating them by 20. obviously you can't compare and say Oklahoma is better than us, but this team has not looked like world beaters yet this year... give em time to gel.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with FSU over UConn ... but he does pick against every time. I do like 916's comment!

Here's some comments:

Don’t be surprised …
... if Harvard gives the Seminoles all they can handle. This would only be a minor upset if the Ivy League favorites win this game. (Fraschilla)
... if Alex Oriakhi and Andre Drummond dominate the offensive glass for the Huskies. UConn is pulling down better than half of its own misses this season. (Gasaway)
... Florida State and its suffocating defense beats Connecticut in a low scoring final. FSU is experienced and UConn will get its first taste of equal athleticism. Watch for Bernard James to score on jump hooks. If they limit their turnovers, Noles will win. (Gottlieb)
... if Harvard is playing UMass for the right to play in the final. The Minutemen have been reborn with the addition of Hofstra transfer Chaz Williams as lead guard. The Seminoles are still an unknown at lead guard and UMass could expose them there. (Katz)
... if FSU beats UConn. Leonard Hamilton's teams play some of the best defense in the country, and Bernard James can hang with Connecticut's big guys inside. (Simon)
... if Connecticut’s Andre Drummond makes significant strides. The Huskies’ freshman forward has averaged just 5.8 points and 6.3 rebounds in his first four games. But his numbers should greatly increase as he gets more comfortable on the court. (King)
... if Harvard makes it an all-New England final with the Crimson taking on UConn. Harvard has the chops to upset Florida State. (Bilas)

Reaction Score
That looks like a business decision. If you're the only one who picked FSU over UConn (and let's be honest, UConn hasn't looked spectacular so far and a physical, defensive-oriented team might give us a struggle), you can tout that.

Gottlieb also had us #1 overall in his poll, so when someone is hypocritical, look for where they stand to gain.

Reaction Score
I really don't care much what Goottleib says... but doesn't he have us ranked as his #1 team? Because I remember him saying that we're his #1 team, but had Pitt winning the Big East and now he has Florida State winning this tournament over us. For his #1 team, he has us losing an awful lot.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if everyone picked UConn, I guess.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Outside of it being good for the mojo, and amusing that he often picks against us, I could easily see us losing to FSU.

One thing about the BattleFA, is that we'll find out if we've simply been playing to the competition, or we just are that strong yet.

Reaction Score
Losing a game in this tourney is not inconceivable. I hate to defend Doug but he picked UConn #1 before the start of the season and at the end of the season they may very well be there. But early on they don't pass the eye test. I do think we will step it up against better competition, expect us to play much better and win this tournament.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I fear Harvard more than FSU. They have the appearance of a very good team, probably better than the Lieu (sp??) team back a couple of years that gave us a tough battle. Don't underrate the Crimson.

Reaction Score
Technicaly we would be better now without Drummond, because the front would be manned by Oriakhi, Olander and Smith. Three experienced players with more developed offensive games. We just have a huge upside if Drummond can blossom like Lamb did last year.

Reaction Score
You guys are a bunch cry babies. Have you looked at the ESPN power rankings? He has us #1. Guess how many other people do? Zero

What does this pity party have to say about that?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's nothing more than an egotistical analyst putting himself in a no lose situation. If UConn fails he can say 'see, I told you so.' And if they win, he can say 'Even though they didn't lose a couple I thought they might, I was right in saying they're number 1 overall.' Not at all unlike a certain poster on this board.

Reaction Score
Gottlieb picked Pitt to win the Big East too. Think he's basically saying, come March UConn has the best shot of winning the NC, but they could have a lot of growing pains.

Reaction Score
I don't care if he picks us to lose. That's his right. But he went on the air and told Roscoe Smith he should de-commit and find another school. That's not his right. I'm not going to forgive that one.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with him picking FSU to win the tournament. UConn hasn't always looked great this season and FSU is a very tough team, probably the defensive standard right now. We'll have to see how UConn plays. One thing people under estimate is that it's a lot harder to be the hunted. Everybody is going to give the defending national champs their best shot and UConn is going to have to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom