GOT - Winds of Winter | The Boneyard

GOT - Winds of Winter

Reaction Score
Been catching up on the HBO series (early in S6) via on-demand so just looked it up - apparentlyWOW due to be released "sometime this year". As far as I can remember from the books, the HBO series is now beyond what GRRM has written? I don't remember some of the stuff they're showing on HBO as being in the books.

Reaction Score
B.S. on WoW getting out this year, but yes, the show has passed the books by -- which is fine with me. 80% of the plot changes vs. the books have been for the better anyway.

Reaction Score
B.S. on WoW getting out this year, but yes, the show has passed the books by -- which is fine with me. 80% of the plot changes vs. the books have been for the better anyway.
so will GRRM be writing these books with the show's plot in mind, or is he going to write an alternative (to the show) book series?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Been catching up on the HBO series (early in S6) via on-demand so just looked it up - apparentlyWOW due to be released "sometime this year". As far as I can remember from the books, the HBO series is now beyond what GRRM has written? I don't remember some of the stuff they're showing on HBO as being in the books.

"sometime this year" is a pretty common target for GOT books releases. It translates to: between 3 and 10 years from now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He's not married to the show's plot, and really can't be given the amount of divergence between the two. I think it's moot because the books are likely never coming . . .

I mean, it's not that far of a divergence. Much of the divergence has to do with cutting characters and plot lines out. Streamlining the plot. Making it more impactful.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sansa is bad enough in the show, but if I had a traditional book with pages, I would have ripped out and burned every page involving Sansa's character from the last two books.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This -hole is releasing the equivalent of fan fiction on his own books, Fire and Blood, the history of the Targaryen dynasty, but won't commit to a 2018 release date for WoW.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This -hole is releasing the equivalent of fan fiction on his own books, Fire and Blood, the history of the Targaryen dynasty, but won't commit to a 2018 release date for WoW.

I believe he's given up on finishing the series. Passed the buck to HBO. Too many conventions to attend.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think he's a mediocre author anyway. His approach, telling bits of a dozen different stories, then updating each one incrementally without tying them together until much, much later...sucks in book form. It works on the screen where his overly wordy descriptive style can be conveyed instantly with visuals, and not put you to sleep, and the transitions are much more rapid.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Dude sucks. I think he's happy HBO came along cause now he doesn't have to bother.

Honestly feel like he's rubbing it in our faces at this point.

It’s worth noting that as exhaustive as Fire and Blood promises to be, it’s still only the first half of an encyclopedic Targaryen sage—a second volume is planned for release after the final book in the main ASOIAF series has been published. You can learn more about Fire and Blood over at Barnes and Noble’s site.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dude sucks. I think he's happy HBO came along cause now he doesn't have to bother.

Honestly feel like he's rubbing it in our faces at this point.

It’s worth noting that as exhaustive as Fire and Blood promises to be, it’s still only the first half of an encyclopedic Targaryen sage—a second volume is planned for release after the final book in the main ASOIAF series has been published. You can learn more about Fire and Blood over at Barnes and Noble’s site.
Never say never completely, but I cannot imagine that I'll ever spend time reading another one of his books. He comes off as a complete charlatan now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The whole Game of Thrones deal is like an exhaustive kitchen renovation that George started but just doesn’t feel like finishing.

He went too far into the weeds and left himself too much to do and he ran out of steam.

If he finishes it, great. If he doesn’t, okay, I appreciate what he did.

Reaction Score
The whole Game of Thrones deal is like an exhaustive kitchen renovation that George started but just doesn’t feel like finishing.

He went too far into the weeds and left himself too much to do and he ran out of steam.

If he finishes it, great. If he doesn’t, okay, I appreciate what he did.

If that's your attitude on his writing, not sure your wife will view that as it being o.k. if you never finish your kitchen renovations. The "But honey -- George Martin ..." defense is not likely to work.

Just sayin.

Reaction Score
If that's your attitude on his writing, not sure your wife will view that as it being o.k. if you never finish your kitchen renovations. The "But honey -- George Martin ..." defense is not likely to work.

Just sayin.
just start renovating a bathroom too, I'm sure she'll love it - it works for GRRM.

Reaction Score

If someone is ever looking for an example of saying "never" without actually using the word, they can use that bolded section. A Dance with Dragons came out in 2011. Book 6 will come out in 2019, at the earliest. Then there will be a multiple year wait for the final book. Then, volume 2 of Fire and Blood will be published. GRRM turns 70 this year. It's unfortunate, but there's zero chance all three of those books come out.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
His words after Fire and Blood were that he is now working on WOW. I actually have faith that it comes out first half 2019. I don't see book 7 coming out but I have this dream that he's writing 6/7 together and will release them a year apart.

Reaction Score
Only chance is it goes the way of The Wheel of Time, in that someone else finishes the story and speeds up the process to do it.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I just finished reading the first 5 novels. I liked them all except 4. The only thing that helped me get through 4 was the thought of moving on to the next book with Snow, Bran, Tyrion etc. I feel bad for the real fans who read these books 7+ years ago and are still waiting, although the TV series has filled the gap quite nicely.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I feel bad for the real fans who read these books 7+ years ago and are still waiting, although the TV series has filled the gap quite nicely.

p3uc2.jpg

You're not wrong, but 1st book was published 1996. A series that started 22 YEARS ago and still isn't near the finish line. smh

huskypantz

Reaction Score
You're not wrong, but 1st book was published 1996. A series that started 22 YEARS ago and still isn't near the finish line. smh
You mean, let me understand this ... cuz I ... maybe its me, maybe I'm a little fudged up maybe. I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to fudgin' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

By seven years I meant waiting since the last novel. The first three were pretty reasonably released.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom