GoT: How should I spend my 100.00? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

GoT: How should I spend my 100.00?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I will definetly pick up the Second Apocalypse because I agree with you on all the others. Are you reading Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive series? I like it even more than Mistborn, although it isn't completed yet.

No, I didn't know about it. That'll be my next one when I finish a few things. I like to read these types of books at night before bed because it helps me wind down.

Just note, 2nd Apocalypse is a little dense, and darker than most. But if you like to think a little bit, it's well worth the read imo.

Another one that just came to mind, that is in a different vein, but really fun, is the unfinished The Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch. First book is the Lies of Locke Lamora.

It's fantasy, but not so much swords/knights style. Quick synopsis:

The series take place in the world of the shattered Therin Throne Empire and its descendant states. It follows the life of the young professional thief and con artist Locke Lamora, over a period of some fifteen to twenty years. 1st book: Elite con artists calling themselves the "Gentleman Bastards" rob the rich of the city of Camorr, based on late medieval Venice but on an unnamed world.

Lynch is 3 books into a planned 7 book series (4th supposedly being released this summer). But each book is relatively self contained, so you don't feel like you're hanging on a thread.

This one's not dense, but as I said, just fun. Highly recommend it.

Reaction Score
No, I didn't know about it. That'll be my next one when I finish a few things. I like to read these types of books at night before bed because it helps me wind down.

Just note, 2nd Apocalypse is a little dense, and darker than most. But if you like to think a little bit, it's well worth the read imo.

Another one that just came to mind, that is in a different vein, but really fun, is the unfinished The Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch. First book is the Lies of Locke Lamora.

It's fantasy, but not so much swords/knights style. Quick synopsis:

The series take place in the world of the shattered Therin Throne Empire and its descendant states. It follows the life of the young professional thief and con artist Locke Lamora, over a period of some fifteen to twenty years. 1st book: Elite con artists calling themselves the "Gentleman Bastards" rob the rich of the city of Camorr, based on late medieval Venice but on an unnamed world.

Lynch is 3 books into a planned 7 book series (4th supposedly being released this summer). But each book is relatively self contained, so you don't feel like you're hanging on a thread.

This one's not dense, but as I said, just fun. Highly recommend it.

I have had the Lies of Locke Lomara downloaded on my Kindle for a month now. Should be starting that instead of arguing with morons on the Cesspool.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have had the Lies of Locke Lomara downloaded on my Kindle for a month now. Should be starting that instead of arguing with morons on the Cesspool.

Nice. Interested to see what you think.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Jon Snow is the betting favorite for good reason.

"A song of Ice and Fire" says it all.............

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am rooting for the Night King, unless he turns out to be Bran, in which case I want a fade to black with no resolution because I don't want any of them to win.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I am rooting for the Night King, unless he turns out to be Bran, in which case I want a fade to black with no resolution because I don't want any of them to win.
It’s bran.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Has anyone read the Broken Empire series from Mark Lawrence? It's got the macabre of GOT without the culinary digressions. The main character is a fairly twisted anti-hero. Mostly an epic fantasy but it drifts into the realm of sci-fi. I enjoyed it and the follow-up series (Red Queen's War), although it's not quite as tightly wrapped.

Reaction Score
Has anyone read the Broken Empire series from Mark Lawrence? It's got the macabre of GOT without the culinary digressions. The main character is a fairly twisted anti-hero. Mostly an epic fantasy but it drifts into the realm of sci-fi. I enjoyed it and the follow-up series (Red Queen's War), although it's not quite as tightly wrapped.

I have never read Broken Empire, but the above line is both hilarious and a fair characterization of GRRM.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have never read Broken Empire, but the above line is both hilarious and a fair characterization of GRRM.

Look at the guy....not a man afraid of 2nds. Or 3rds.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Look at the guy....not a man afraid of 2nds. Or 3rds.
I imagine him writing his novel with a cat on his lap, salivating as he writes of mutton quarters drowned in lard gravy, partnered with crusted sour dough brioche and honey-infused tubers ripe from the garden. And 5 minutes later he’s off to dinner....... Which is likely why he hasn’t finished Winds of Winter.

Reaction Score
I imagine him writing his novel with a cat on his lap, salivating as he writes of mutton quarters drowned in lard gravy, partnered with crusted sour dough brioche and honey-infused tubers ripe from the garden. And 5 minutes later he’s off to dinner.. Which is likely why he hasn’t finished Winds of Winter.

You left one thing out. Not sure when you started reading him, but if it was before the HBO series, you might have caught some of his blog commentary on casting auditions. If so . . . let's just say that he wrote a lot about the beauty of prepubescent actresses trying out for the Arya and Sansa type roles. Dude is creepy as you-know-what.

Reaction Score
Started the First Law trilogy last night based on everyone's recommendations. I hope that's not a mistake with this crew . . .

Great decision. It isn't epic fantasy, and frankly the prose is very simplistic. But it's simplistic in the way good legal writing is. Simple, but very effective. I loved it.

Reaction Score
I will definetly pick up the Second Apocalypse because I agree with you on all the others. Are you reading Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive series? I like it even more than Mistborn, although it isn't completed yet.

Love the The Stormlight Archives and am excited that there are more books in the series yet to come. If you like anti-hero style books, check out Mark Lawrence (Broken Empire & Red Queen's War).

I'm currently reading Raymond Feist and have been enjoying his work.

Reaction Score
Love the The Stormlight Archives and am excited that there are more books in the series yet to come. If you like anti-hero style books, check out Mark Lawrence (Broken Empire & Red Queen's War).

Feist is really old school. His Magician and Empire series rightfully earned him a long career. He really milked it thereafter, unfortunately, without ever creating much else.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Feist is really old school. His Magician and Empire series rightfully earned him a long career. He really milked it thereafter, unfortunately, without ever creating much else.
Feist brings back memories. I read the Riftwar saga as a young kid, which sadly was about 30 years ago. I might need to revisit it.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
You left one thing out. Not sure when you started reading him, but if it was before the HBO series, you might have caught some of his blog commentary on casting auditions. If so . . . let's just say that he wrote a lot about the beauty of prepubescent actresses trying out for the Arya and Sansa type roles. Dude is creepy as you-know-what.
I'm picturing Meryn Trant selecting his "companion" while in Braavos. "Still too old".

Reaction Score
Feist brings back memories. I read the Riftwar saga as a young kid, which sadly was about 30 years ago. I might need to revisit it.

I re-read books I enjoy almost as often as I re-watch movies I love. Any way, I recently reread the Riftwar Saga and the Empire series and they mostly held up. The Empire series is much better writing thanks to his co-author, I assume, but Ashen-Shugar was one of my favorite storylines as a kid and it didn't disappoint on re-read.

Since we are throwing out series, I am gonna mention The Fitz and The Fool trilogies (there are 3 trilogies) by Robin Hobb. Maybe my favorite series overall, and certainly the best character development by far in any fantasy series I have ever read.

Reaction Score
Who will be the last one standing, or sitting, is the most interesting question. But who is first to die is the more interesting bet. We are down to the most liked/important characters. Who dies first, which episode, and who killed them?

My pick: Euron, second episode, Theon

huskypantz

Reaction Score

Did you read Red Sister? I have it on my dresser, read the first few pages but got distracted by other things.

Reaction Score
Who will be the last one standing, or sitting, is the most interesting question. But who is first to die is the more interesting bet. We are down to the most liked/important characters. Who dies first, which episode, and who killed them?

Euron is a great bet, but I don't know that you deserve much reward for taking that kind of risk. It's like betting on an overwhelmingly favored horse to place or show. You should have to pick a character that's been around at least since season 2 to get credit.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Anyone read Pierce Brown's Red Rising trilogy? A bit of GOT mixed w/ Hunger Games, mostly set on Mars but spread across the solar system. The author decided he wasn't done after 3 books so started another trilogy. I thoroughly enjoyed them, read the first three twice each. Anxiously awaiting book 2 of the second trilogy later this year.

huskypantz

Reaction Score

I think the first major death has to have some shock value and probably needs to be in the first two episodes. I think Jamie killing Cersei would be a good bet (or even the reverse), but I don't see it happening until the last few episodes if it does.
Kind of lame, but I'll go with Jorah Mormont, white walker, ep 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom