OT: Goodman reports Bolden of UCLA ineligible | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Goodman reports Bolden of UCLA ineligible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Other than 'began', the sentence is fine.

You can't use 'began' after an auxiliary like "had".

Past tense vs past participle, etc., etc.

Reaction Score
Can Bolden write a sentence as well as Goodman? If he can then he should just leave UCLA and go to Memphis immediately...........

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Well, technically, he didn't attend school at Australia but at a school somewhere in Australia, so that school should have been mentioned from a parallel structure perspective, and then it would have been helpful to have a "so what" comment at the end of the sentence, like "and that is a violation of NCAA requirement x, y and/or z..." Leaving Australia is not an issue, leaving a high school in Australia might be.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Should have been begun rather than began, but other than that, is fine grammatically. Despite the modifier (already) between the two words, the use of had indicates the past participle -- begun. The only place you could possibly insert a comma would be after the word begun, and I don't think that one's really necessary.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
Other than 'began', the sentence is fine. You can't use 'began' after an auxiliary like "had". Past tense vs past participle, etc., etc.

Upstater may have influenced me into thinking something was wrong with the sentence, and I read it with some bias, but (leaving aside the began/begun issues) if the brain processes that he had "already begun to attend Findlay" since those words run together, the rest of the sentence falls apart. It took me a second read to decipher what I thought was jibberish the first time.

"To attend Findlay" explains why he left Australia, so it is better sentence structure to keep those portions of the sentence together and then add the additional information about the when ("after his senior season had begun") at the end. Of course, Goodman was a bit unlucky. The same clause that reads, for example that he "left Australia after Christmas to attend Findlay" is perfectly clear. But he "left Australia after Fishy was sentenced to attend Findlay" is not. Was Fishy sentenced to attend Findlay? Or was he sentenced to prison and that is just a point of reference for the timing of when the subject went to Findlay?

It could very well be that Goodman has been dead on accurate about everything as a columnist, but sentence structure has held him back. For example, when he wrote that Daniel Hamilton is a selfish gunner who will only pass the ball if you put a knife to his throat, he may have actually meant that he's a versatile wing who can beat you in any number of ways, but he didn't use the Oxford comma.

Reaction Score
Upstater may have influenced me into thinking something was wrong with the sentence, and I read it with some bias, but (leaving aside the began/begun issues) if the brain processes that he had "already begun to attend Findlay" since those words run together, the rest of the sentence falls apart. It took me a second read to decipher what I thought was jibberish the first time.

"To attend Findlay" explains why he left Australia, so it is better sentence structure to keep those portions of the sentence together and then add the additional information about the when ("after his senior season had begun") at the end. Of course, Goodman was a bit unlucky. The same clause that reads, for example that he "left Australia after Christmas to attend Findlay" is perfectly clear. But he "left Australia after Fishy was sentenced to attend Findlay" is not. Was Fishy sentenced to attend Findlay? Or was he sentenced to prison and that is just a point of reference for the timing of when the subject went to Findlay?

It could very well be that Goodman has been dead on accurate about everything as a columnist, but sentence structure has held him back. For example, when he wrote that Daniel Hamilton is a selfish gunner who will only pass the ball if you put a knife to his throat, he may have actually meant that he's a versatile wing who can beat you in any number of ways, but he didn't use the Oxford comma.

It's wrong no matter what. I'm not even a stickler for grammar. Verb/subject agreement is off. That makes it ungrammatical.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I'm sure it will all make sense in 20 minutes...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Bolden transferred to FP in LV after having begun his senior year in Australia, according to ESPN's sources.
K.I.S.S.

Gotta love a good grammar debate.

Reaction Score
Should have been begun rather than began, but other than that, is fine grammatically. Despite the modifier (already) between the two words, the use of had indicates the past participle -- begun. The only place you could possibly insert a comma would be after the word begun, and I don't think that one's really necessary.

I was looking for your analysis. Wish you would have posted earlier then I could have skipped this thread thereafter.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Goodman now reporting that Jim Calhoun is interested in the open PF slot at UCLA.

Reactions: pj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman