Goodman: Hurley to Uconn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Goodman: Hurley to Uconn

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
This guy is such a schmuck -- his ESPN article propagates the myth that we would've missed the 2016 tourny if Adams didn't make that Hail Mary. Once the seedings were announced, it was clear we didn't need that win.

You'd think he'd know this by now, considering his "interest" in UConn basketball.

Obviously not a big deal, just annoying to see him and others keeping stating as fact something that is plainly false.
Lazy journalism.

Reaction Score
Six years, then he’ll go to Duke. If not before! When did the Boneyard start embracing Dookies? I thought we hated Everything Duke!
Yikes! I dont think you realize how foolish you sound. Wrong Hurley bro!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No way Pixie. I'll fondly remember our 3 million dollar a year coach, who has a degree from our four year university and who drove the program into the pavement, busting out the hood argot for our appreciative fan base.
What do you think. You think the guy knew he was speaking incorrectly, and chose to anyway? Or you think he spent 4 years in college and never worked out the correct conjugation of "to be"? Which would be worse?

You should keep this up, Frank. You have any more thoughts on Draymond Green as well?

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
What do you think. You think the guy knew he was speaking incorrectly, and chose to anyway? Or you think he spent 4 years in college and never worked out the correct conjugation of "to be"? Which would be worse?
Yes! I so yearn for a return to the days of coaches like Jim Calhoun, who only spoke the Queen's English whilst on national television.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You should keep this up, Frank. You have any more thoughts on Draymond Green as well?

Probably the most underrated player in the NBA. Largely responsible for GS's 2 NBA titles.

Glad the original reply was deleted while I was at lunch before I could see or respond to it.

I'll just say that life has taught me not to make that any more of a gauge of intelligence than I would for what Jim Calhoun did to the English language on a regular basis. In some ways you always are where you came from.

Reaction Score
I'll just say that life has taught me not to make that [language] any more of a gauge of intelligence than . . .
We agree on that. Completely. Never said the guy was unintelligent. No way to tell that from whatever questions he's answering about basketball for some beat reporter.
My point was only that he either didn't learn basic word usage in 4 years of college - which is indicative of effort, not IQ, or, he knows the difference but chooses to go with the slang, which I think is inappropriate for the highest paid national representative of UConn. Simple point really. The reason that the reactions are so strong is because some (like you) inferred an IQ implication, which was not there. Others react because they perceive it as a racial attack. Both are ludicrous. Speaking basic English at a 5th grade level should not be something that's negotiable for somebody who is a national representative of our school. If Dave Benedict walked in for the interview and said, "I is very interested in Connecticut," the interview would have ended right there. Double standards are inherently racist.

Reaction Score
. . .for what Jim Calhoun did to the English language on a regular basis.
I always thought he had a learning/speaking disorder - not lack of effort or education. Knew a guy in law school who sounded just like him. Really bright guy - just didn't have the brain wiring to speak smoothly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom