Good ol’ Courant. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good ol’ Courant.

Reaction Score
Gotta tell you, I am more than sensitive to women’s issues. I did consider whether laughing was appropriate, but this was just a very funny mistake.
I laughed, too, Puppy Love. The stress of many a long day in the office was occasionally interrupted for me by such errors. Serious stuff, but we need to laugh...

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Wisconsin has had a very strong mandatory recycling program since 1989 - I administered one of the larger county programs for 17 years, and during my tenure, fined (actual fine plus loss of contract revenue) one of the national waste management companies a bit over $9K for trashing recyclables we hired them to collect. It was at the time, and might still be, the largest penalty assessed for this type of violation.

So naturally, this made the news and was carried by one of the national solid waste trade journals. Except that according to their article, I was the culprit! The story came out while I was at a national recycling conference. Had a lot of fun with my colleagues over this.

And yes, this was before the Internet took a toll on print journalism!

Reaction Score
Connoly is a solid reporter though overall. He's great overall.

Reaction Score
It never ceases to amaze me about some bone yarders who never made a mistake and can’t wait for someone to type the wrong key or just plain missed the spelling bee title. Basketball !
That may be true, but in this case, the Courant’s blatant mess up causes one to literally laugh out loud, or do this 100X
Head bang

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Newspapers need to go 100% online; wasting money on printing takes away money from hiring enough editors and writers.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It never ceases to amaze me about some bone yarders who never made a mistake and can’t wait for someone to type the wrong key or just plain missed the spelling bee title. Basketball !
Fortunately for you all I don't get paid for my writing or editing skills. The reality is when a newspaper prints an article at least 3 people have to pass muster on it before it's set to type. All 3 are paid to get it right, and all failed here.

Reaction Score
Fortunately for you all I don't get paid for my writing or editing skills. The reality is when a newspaper prints an article at least 3 people have to pass muster on it before it's set to type. All 3 are paid to get it right, and all failed here.
Well said, JordyG.

And cockhrnleghrn, what you suggest about going 100 percent online sounds practical except two things: many people still want a print newspaper and what you term wasted money would not be used for more editors... a couple decades of online newspapers has shown us just the opposite, hence the Courant's mistake in question.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Newspapers need to go 100% online; wasting money on printing takes away money from hiring enough editors and writers.
And the people who print, deliver and sell papers really don’t deserve a living anyway!

Reaction Score
The best was when I moved to Virginia. There was a local paper article about cops finding a handful of marijuana plants in a cornfield. The paper actually ran this line under the picture of the sheriff and deputy with the plants in the field. "If you know who these plants belong to or IF THEY ARE YOUR PLANTS please contact the police."

Reaction Score
Okay I’m dumb. Could someone kindly explain what’s wrong with the statement? I can’t figure it out.
the internet has made most print media irrelevant
Well then, that makes it ok to mangle the language, even if one is is a “writer/reporter”. BTW, I believe the internet requires one to string together words into coherent sentences?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
And the people who print, deliver and sell papers really don’t deserve a living anyway!
Ever since the industrial revolution, industries have changed with the times. The same needs to apply to print media.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ever since the industrial revolution, industries have changed with the times. The same needs to apply to print media.

Undoubtedly, still it’s kind of rough to characterize that money as being “wasted.“ I those people want to preserve their living every bit as much as the “reporters and editors” that you suggest be favored.

Reaction Score
Not to mention that printing newspapers, most of which will be discarded in a day or so, is environmentally a disaster.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Undoubtedly, still it’s kind of rough to characterize that money as being “wasted.“ I those people want to preserve their living every bit as much as the “reporters and editors” that you suggest be favored.
I don't want local newspapers to go away, I want them to realize that printing actual newspapers needs to be a thing of the past. It's not a profitable 21st Century business model and, as Fomalhaut said, it's environmentally a disaster.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't want local newspapers to go away, I want them to realize that printing actual newspapers needs to be a thing of the past. It's not a profitable 21st Century business model and, as Fomalhaut said, it's environmentally a disaster.

Understood, but that has real world economic consequences that affects actual people.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
:eek: Andra Espinoza-Hunter is not basketball? BTW this wasn't about spelling or typing the wrong key.
I didn’t watch that Seton Hall game… yet. Did Andra play against UConn?

Reaction Score
The ones that deliver don’t get a living… unless they can do 2 or 3 papers simultaneously.

Reaction Score
lol I mispell alot and I dont use capitals enough and I dont use punctionation enough and I dont use enough paragraphs and I dont care. I get my message across. lol Luv the Boneyard
You are fresh meat Tony, don’t you know there are a few spelling
gurus on this site. Include me in your group.

Reaction Score
That's a copy editing issue. Ultimately the writer is responsible, assuming that it wasn't edited in by the desk. Looks like the copy editor tried to change the voice. But, when you are going 1000 MPH and writing so much, what the hell is a damn copy desk for?

It's funny. Just move on. Luckily Leno isn't around anymore to make fun of things like that.

Reaction Score
It was kinda more than just spelling. The transposition of the 2 words (complete with tense) made the sentence mean something completely different.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom