Good news | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good news

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
right now, I'm more curious about Batouly. Lou is fantastic; we know that. But what do we know about Batouly? She hasn't played competitively in 18 months. She was initially recruited by UConn, which is an endorsement, and had a promising (though certainly not stellar) freshman year at Louisville. We're very much hoping that she adds a physical presence underneath, as backup this year and as getting serious minutes her final 2 years (assuming she stays her red-shirted senior year). If Z leaves after this year (unlikely), Batouly will be urgently needed next year; and certainly the year after. So, let's hope she gets started quickly this year; remember that Natalie also got hurt just after she came off her red-shirt year and effectively lost that entire first year. I'm not expecting the same here, however, but am anxious to see her. Tomorrow night would be a great opportunity for her to get the adrenaline rush out of the way.
Kentucky is not in Louisville. Kentucky is in Lexington. :cool:

Reaction Score
right now, I'm more curious about Batouly. Lou is fantastic; we know that. But what do we know about Batouly? She hasn't played competitively in 18 months. She was initially recruited by UConn, which is an endorsement, and had a promising (though certainly not stellar) freshman year at Louisville. We're very much hoping that she adds a physical presence underneath, as backup this year and as getting serious minutes her final 2 years (assuming she stays her red-shirted senior year). If Z leaves after this year (unlikely), Batouly will be urgently needed next year; and certainly the year after. So, let's hope she gets started quickly this year; remember that Natalie also got hurt just after she came off her red-shirt year and effectively lost that entire first year. I'm not expecting the same here, however, but am anxious to see her. Tomorrow night would be a great opportunity for her to get the adrenaline rush out of the way.
I thought Touly went to Kentuck?? Am I having medicine problems AGAIN??
I'm curious too. Touly has a huge boneyard rep to live up to much like Mykala---I'm hoping to see a glimpse of that rep..

Reaction Score
Will be good to see KLS just run, break a sweat and test the foot. Maybe get just a few minutes.
Z certainly has played well in her absence. Getting confidence , acclimated ,
and more game experience with her teammates. Which makes this team nothing short of
AWESOME.
For the next few Games Geno MUST keep Azura as his go to player. She needs that to keep the chemistry building..

Reaction Score
PA HUSK: you want warm and fuzzy, get in off that covered bridge you show. Where in PA is that? Nice shot.
Thanks... I should come in from the cold...

The photo is the Rupert Covered Bridge No. 56 (also known as the Rupert Bridge). It is open to traffic, and located near Bloomsburg, in the community of Rupert, in Columbia County, PA. The bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places and is the oldest existing covered bridge in Columbia County.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Geno starts Lou in her 1st game back. KML came off the bench against Duke and nailed 7 3 pointers. He let her ease back in. I hope KLS eases back in against Notre Dame!
If she's right, I believe she starts... wouldn't want KLS to be the next Wally Pipp.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think ND’s in trouble with, or without Lou in the Husky lineup. Without Turner, they were not good defending Wilson in the post last night. Z & Pheesa will have a field day against the Irish and Gabby & Kia will do a much better job defending Ogunbowle & Young than SC did.

I missed most of the 2nd half of yesterday's game because I switched to the volleyball selection show. In the first half ND was collapsing around A'ja as soon as she touched the ball and the refs were letting Shepard get away with very physical defending. I didn't see exactly how A'ja got her scoring going in the 2nd half, and whether the refs finally started calling fouls on her defenders, but certainly something happened because she finished with a career high 34 points.

Another thing I noticed was that Notre Dame was really trying to draw charges on Wilson. I believe Muffet said something to this effect a few weeks ago, that without Turner's shot-blocking presence they'll need to play "positional" defense and draw charges. This is something that UConn's players will need to be aware of and adjust to as they make moves to the bucket.

The biggest challenge in defending Notre Dame's offense will be containing the dribble-drive without letting any the perimeter shooters go off. I was impressed yesterday as well with ND's ability to find the open interior pass when a driving guard drew a help defender. UConn's rotation help defense will have to be on point.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For the next few Games Geno MUST keep Azura as his go to player. She needs that to keep the chemistry building..

The beauty of this team is it has no one go to player @BroadwayVa , but I know what you mean. She'll get plenty of touches and if she keeps slashing inside the stat sheet will smile on her.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I might be wrong, but I thought she first played at Kentucky freshman year. Otherwise, I think you are right about her working her way into the lineup

Reaction Score

The photo is the Rupert Covered Bridge No. 56 (also known as the Rupert Bridge). It is open to traffic, and located near Bloomsburg, in the community of Rupert, in Columbia County, PA. The bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places and is the oldest existing covered bridge in Columbia County.

I was born in Bloomsburg!

Reaction Score
I agree with you that the most interesting area of focus is on Batouly. I'll be delighted if Lou is sufficiently fit to get a little time out there vs ND, but her presence for that game, however desirable, will not be required to secure the win. I'd much prefer for her role to be very limited until she's 100%. The truth is - and I know it's anathema to say this - the outcome of the ND game, one way or the other, really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. But I'm kind of old school...undefeated seasons sound nice, but it's National Championships, at least in my view, that matter! As you suggest, with Lou we know what we've got and what the nature of her contribution will be whenever she returns. But for the long-term, should Batouly (a player about whom I know very little) turn out to be a serious role player, meaning the significant "physical presence underneath" to which you refer, now that would be a big deal indeed! I won't be looking for her to score a point. But give us a ferocious rebounder off the bench and a tough down-low defender? I'll sign on for that in a heartbeat!!

Reaction Score
UConn Nation,
I just read a tweet from Justine Ward. According to Geno, Lou should return for the game against Notre Dame, and Batouly has been practicing and will play against Nevada :).

May someone post the actual tweet via twitter for me.
Thank you. This is a really good news.

Reaction Score
The beauty of this team is it has no one go to player @BroadwayVa , but I know what you mean. She'll get plenty of touches and if she keeps slashing inside the stat sheet will smile on her.
We saw a couple of games without KLS and Z blossomed. She and the core 3, started to feel each others--game. I fear if KLS returns full boar, Z may take 5th fiddle. The point of these wasted words IS: We need Z and will need her more with bigs of TX,USC,Baylor,etc, as we meet them..

Reaction Score
I agree with you that the most interesting area of focus is on Batouly. I'll be delighted if Lou is sufficiently fit to get a little time out there vs ND, but her presence for that game, however desirable, will not be required to secure the win. I'd much prefer for her role to be very limited until she's 100%. The truth is - and I know it's anathema to say this - the outcome of the ND game, one way or the other, really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. But I'm kind of old school...undefeated seasons sound nice, but it's National Championships, at least in my view, that matter! As you suggest, with Lou we know what we've got and what the nature of her contribution will be whenever she returns. But for the long-term, should Batouly (a player about whom I know very little) turn out to be a serious role player, meaning the significant "physical presence underneath" to which you refer, now that would be a big deal indeed! I won't be looking for her to score a point. But give us a ferocious rebounder off the bench and a tough down-low defender? I'll sign on for that in a heartbeat!!
Pissimist me! I don't see Touly ready to play in the first 3 quarters--assuming a Uconn lead with ND.

Reaction Score
Louisville??..

Reaction Score

PAHUSK: Glad we got you in from the cold, and also very pleased that you identified that covered bridge. Was born just miles from there, in Montour Co after it was carved away from Columbia County. Have been on the bridge and did NOT know that it is the oldest around there, though there aren't many left anywhere. A treasure. Thanks for the info.

Reaction Score
I was born in Bloomsburg!

GoU: get out! Bloom or at Geisinger in Danville? Most everyone around those parts was born there, unless you go back to my Nana's days; she was born in a dresser drawer in Riverside. Guess my great grandma was quite tiny.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that if Lou plays against ND, she won't be in game shape and will need
frequent blows on the bench. Z will get more minutes, I think.

Reaction Score
The point of these wasted words IS: We need Z and will need her more with bigs of TX,USC,Baylor,etc, as we meet them..

So we're back to the pre-season debate... who doesn't start? Remember, the Core 4 plus Saniya did a pretty good job against the "bigs of TX, USC, Baylor.." last season. Now it's Core 4 PLUS Danger (note bold capital letters...i.e., a Bigger Plus)... so it might be safe to think if all are healthy, they can still handle those teams. If one is not healthy, Z starts. BUT... if all are healthy, AND it's deemed we need Z for the size, then who sits? Not to start this thread again. Would hate to see Lou fall victim to losing her job because of an injury and never getting back in (i.e., Wally Pipp).

Reaction Score
The Pipps weren't such a bad bunch, what with Gladys and all....(this should be a lay up for anyone looking to pick a nit)

Yuck...Yuck...

Me thinks Wally was in a different Pipp family. Wally played baseball for NY Yankees, starting 1st Baseman. he led the American League in homeruns in 1916 and 1917. In 1925 he got a "day off" because he allegedly had a headache... and he never started for the Yankees again...some guy named Lou Gehrig started in his place and the next 2129 consecutive games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom