'Good News' rumors from SEC | The Boneyard

'Good News' rumors from SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
According to reports, Missouri may not have enough votes to get into the SEC. Talk about having egg all over your face! Last year they went all out for the Big Ten and got denied...and this year they public say they basically want the SEC...and may get denied again. That should be interesting as they go back to the Big 12 with their tail between their legs. They will have to take whatever Texlahoma gives them, as they will have absolutely no bargaining power at this point.

Obvsiously, things could change, but if this rumor is true it is good news for UConn (and the Big East too).

Has Missouri had enough with Texlahoma to the point that they might potentially lead a group of schools to merge with the Big East? Not likely.

But here is the good news for UConn from the rumors:

According to Solomon's sources, those opposed to Missouri's membership have two points of contention. The first is that the SEC can simply "do better" than the Tigers. The other is that adding a team to the SEC West rather than East would disrupt the league's scheduling and rivalries.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32536267

If they think that they can 'do better' than Missouri, there is no chance that WVU is getting in! And also, if they are set on a 'better program' to join the East...that has to be an ACC team (FSU, Clemson, VT, etc). That is great news for UConn, as obviously if an odd number of teams leave the ACC, UConn is the replacement.

I can't wait for the TV movie about conference expansion to come out! Who plays Marrinatto?:)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Fingers crossed that your intuition is correct... Ohpleasepleaseplease...

Reaction Score
This is the best news in a long while if true (and your analysis seems spot on).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The "do better" part is great news. We need the SEC to hit the ACC and hit it hard. VTech, FSU and Georgia Tech. Take out its best program and two best markets, GA and FL. Let's hope the SEC comes after them.

Market depth is worth a lot more than market breadth, because market depth commands premium pricing from customer, in this case advertisers. I would take FSU and GTech in a heartbeat if I was the SEC. Lock down two big markets, including Florida.

Reaction Score
The "do better" part is great news. We need the SEC to hit the ACC and hit it hard. VTech, FSU and Georgia Tech. Take out its best program and two best markets, GA and FL. Let's hope the SEC comes after them.

Market depth is worth a lot more than market breadth, because market depth commands premium pricing from customer, in this case advertisers. I would take FSU and GTech in a heartbeat if I was the SEC. Lock down two big markets, including Florida.
Finally some analysis I can agree with.

Best case scenario is that happens, and UConn, RU, WVU, & Louisville or USF (or ND, but that is less likely) go to the ACC. As long as ND has the BCS rule allowing them to get a BCS bid as an independent, they are not going to join a conference. The only way they join, is if they are locked out of the BCS, and I don't believe the BCS is going to lock them out, but it's possible.

Reaction Score
UConn needs something to shake up the ACC and it appears the only option at this point is for the SEC to go after FSU, Clemson or Va. Tech. FSU seems like the best option if the SEC can convince Florida to go along with it, but Gainesville and Tallahasse are so close (2 hours apart) that I can understand the apprehension.

I'm just not clear on the SEC can "do better" than Missouri. If the "do better" pertains to geography and not wantint to upset the current divisions it is understandable, but if "do better" means football program, you have to look at perception rather than reality when looking at FSU or Clemson. Va. Tech is the only school that could say they were better than Missouri in the last decade.

Reaction Score
They said the same exact thing about A&M. I don't believe it.

Reaction Score
It would make more sense to the SEC that its next school be in the east. The alternative of having Missouri in the west and moving Auburn to the east really doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction Score
I buy the "we can do better" argument. I'm not sure I buy the we don't have the votes story, as it was previously reported that there was a handshake agreement on the table, unless a bunch of schools changed their minds. I do also buy the wanting to add a team to the eastern division to not force a reshuffling of everything and changing schedules/rivalries.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would not put much stock in anything we're hearing about Missouri and the SEC right now.

The one thing that we've learned is that since the original ACC raid, schools are much, much better at zipping their lips. We hear a lot of noise, but the heavy lifting is done in silence and we hear about it when the deal is done. (e.g. TCU, SU, Pitt.)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

And the blind squirrel finds a nut.

Absolutely true about depth/breadth. Here in Florida there isn't a single FSU fan who watches UF games for the heck of it. And vice versa. However, UF, Bama and other SEC fans will watch an SEC game not involving their team because it affects the conference. The SEC adding FSU really saturates the Florida market for the SEC. Miami, USF and UCF combined don't have the market share of either FSU or UF.

Georgia Tech I think is less important in that there aren't nearly the number of GT fans (even in the ATL) compared to UGA.

Reaction Score
I don't see them going for GT if they go to the ACC. It'd have to be FSU and/or VT, maybe Clemson.

Reaction Score
Missouri is a really great school, with unbelievable new basketball facilities and an above-average football stadium. Both are right on their beautiful campus and both have been fairly successful over the last several years. Add in the center of the KC/STL market (which collectively has to easily be a top 10 market) I am surprised that they haven't been able to get into the SEC or Big 10. I'm not sure what schools they'd rather have than Missouri.

Reaction Score
Why leave the ACC and join the SEC?

What s the money difference in TV deals?

Reaction Score
I don't get the east/west problem. It's just a name, no reason they can't end up in the east division. Plus there are reports that Auburn could stay in the west and let Missouri go east (see map below with two options)

Witness TCU and Dallas Cowboys.

sec_14.jpg

Reaction Score
Why leave the ACC and join the SEC?

What s the money difference in TV deals?

Money difference now or in the future?
Right now it's only $5 million a year per team. in the future, the SEC should be able to run its own network and pull in $25 million easy (or $12 more than the current ACC).

Reaction Score
I see the next logical place for the SEC to expand is into NC. I hope they go after NCST next vs. Missouri.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The SEC would never split Auburn and Bama. If Missouri came in, both would need to go to the east, which would overload the talent level in the east. This is one reason why I didn't think the SEC wanted a school from the western edge of its footprint, rather than the east. Clemson or FSU would be a perfect fit, as the SEC has "two in a box" in Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee. A&M becomes the new natural rival for LSU. Missouri would fit as a rival for Arkansas, and I'm sure they have the Arkansas vote.

In disagree by the way that we want the SEC to poach 3 ACC schools. Why the hell weaken our future conference? I would sure as hell rather keep three of VT, Clemson, GT and FSU than add Rutgers, Louisville and/or Cincy. Forget that. So the SEC should go to 14 only, and allow us to move in to the ACC.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If Missouri joined, why couldn't the SEC just do North and South divisions?

North: Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi St.
South: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M

It preserves most significant rivalries and works geographically. Biggest drawback I see is that in football the South would be Murderer's Row vs. the North being winnable for an above average team like Arkansas/Missouri/Tennessee. The North champ ends up being an appetizer for the Southern champ in the SEC title game on their way to the national title game.

Reaction Score
I think you'd get a huge pushback from the south schools that football-wise it's WAY too skewed to the south.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Agree. Doubt the South would go for it but whatever, it's not our conference. Not worth too much thought.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Missouri is gone IMO. Could happen soon too. And the Big 12 has every incentive to gut the Big East because they want ND to join and ND actually might as a partial member if Cincinnati and Louisville are in the league.

Let's hope that the begging pays off.

Reaction Score
According to reports, Missouri may not have enough votes to get into the SEC. Talk about having egg all over your face! Last year they went all out for the Big Ten and got denied...and this year they public say they basically want the SEC...and may get denied again. That should be interesting as they go back to the Big 12 with their tail between their legs. They will have to take whatever Texlahoma gives them, as they will have absolutely no bargaining power at this point.

Obvsiously, things could change, but if this rumor is true it is good news for UConn (and the Big East too).

Has Missouri had enough with Texlahoma to the point that they might potentially lead a group of schools to merge with the Big East? Not likely.

But here is the good news for UConn from the rumors:

According to Solomon's sources, those opposed to Missouri's membership have two points of contention. The first is that the SEC can simply "do better" than the Tigers. The other is that adding a team to the SEC West rather than East would disrupt the league's scheduling and rivalries.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32536267

If they think that they can 'do better' than Missouri, there is no chance that WVU is getting in! And also, if they are set on a 'better program' to join the East...that has to be an ACC team (FSU, Clemson, VT, etc). That is great news for UConn, as obviously if an odd number of teams leave the ACC, UConn is the replacement.

I can't wait for the TV movie about conference expansion to come out! Who plays Marrinatto?:)

Pee Wee Herman equally adept at Jerking round

Reaction Score
The SEC can afford to be choosey. Any major football would have to seriously consider an offer from the SEC given their dominance in college football. I still think they are eyeing Florida State, Virginia Tech and Clemson.

Notre Dame's joining Hockey East tells me they want to stay in the BE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom