Good News On Bouknight | The Boneyard

Good News On Bouknight

Reaction Score
Just read in the Courant that the surgery he had was to remove bone spurs which were caused by the injury. Goodman was right. That is a 2 to 4 week recovery. Likely closer to 4.
We were tipped off on Friday. Nothing gets by this board. ;)

Can bone spurs be caused by an injury?

Reaction Score
We were tipped off on Friday. Nothing gets by this board. ;)

Can bone spurs be caused by an injury?
Yes. A trauma to a joint like an elbow can cause bone chips

Reaction Score
I have bone spurs on my heel and when they act up I can barely walk. It's not the spurs that hurt. The spurs cause inflammation in the soft tissue around the spurs. Very painful. He will be much better off having them removed. Wishing a full and speedy recovery to the lad.

Reaction Score
Bone spurs are not bone chips and are not normally caused by acute trauma.
That's what I thought. Need a doctor here. I just looked it up and spurs can be caused after an injury but it takes a long time for the spurs to form after the injury. So these couldn't be from the injury in the Marquette game.

Causes of Bone Spurs

The most common cause of bone spurs is joint damage from osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease. The cushioning between your joints and the bones of your spine can wear down with age. Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and gout can also damage your joints.

Bone spurs also often form after an injury to a joint or tendon. When your body thinks your bone is damaged, it tries to fix it by adding bone to the injured area.

Reaction Score
Hurley spoke about the Bouknight injury briefly on the media call for the St. Johns game. Also said that Andre has a really important doctors visit early this week. He sounded optimistic for a return very soon if that visit goes well.

Reaction Score
That's what I thought. Need a doctor here. I just looked it up and spurs can be caused after an injury but it takes a long time for the spurs to form after the injury. So these couldn't be from the injury in the Marquette game.

Causes of Bone Spurs

The most common cause of bone spurs is joint damage from osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease. The cushioning between your joints and the bones of your spine can wear down with age. Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and gout can also damage your joints.

Bone spurs also often form after an injury to a joint or tendon. When your body thinks your bone is damaged, it tries to fix it by adding bone to the injured area.

I deleted my initial comment but wasn’t quick enough - I promised myself I wouldn’t get into speculative BY medical discussions because nothing is absolute and usually a one sentence blurb causes more confusion than its worth. My bad.

Reaction Score
I deleted my initial comment but wasn’t quick enough - I promised myself I wouldn’t get into speculative BY medical discussions because nothing is absolute and usually a one sentence blurb causes more confusion than its worth and requires too much effort. My bad.
And you get hammered whatever you say. It's the Boneyard way.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I had bone spurs removed from my wrist and foot. Missed a week and a half of work. Was sore maybe 3 weeks but I’m sure it was due to working when I should of been off recovering.

Reaction Score
Hurley said in the St Johns pregame that we should expect him "closer to 4 weeks". paraphrased of course

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Just read in the Courant that the surgery he had was to remove bone spurs which were caused by the injury. Goodman was right. That is a 2 to 4 week recovery. Likely closer to 4.
Other than that bone spurs aren’t caused by an acute injury, this seems to be best case scenario, no ligament repair or reconstruction. Still, it will take time to restore range of motion, then functional strength, then sport specific use.

You can think of rehab using the letters in the word “safe” - the rehab needs to develop four components, strength, agility, flexibility, endurance. They don’t proceed in that order, it’s more like ‘f-s-a-e,’ but that doesn’t give you a slick acronym.:cool:

Reaction Score
So surgery on the 12th and he's been healing for 5 days already. Take your time Bouker. They are playing this up so when he returns on Wednesday they won't be expecting another XL performance.

Reaction Score
Other than that bone spurs aren’t caused by an acute injury, this seems to be best case scenario, no ligament repair or reconstruction. Still, it will take time to restore range of motion, then functional strength, then sport specific use.

You can think of rehab using the letters in the word “safe” - the rehab needs to develop four components, strength, agility, flexibility, endurance. They don’t proceed in that order, it’s more like ‘f-s-a-e,’ but that doesn’t give you a slick acronym.:cool:
I think they meant to say the opposite, that bone spurs contributed to the injury?

Reaction Score
At least it isn’t ligament damage which would be a real long term healing issue.

Reaction Score
surgery was on 1/12 so conservatively he'd be back for either xavier on 2/13 or PC on 2/16, meaning he'd miss 7 or 8 more games:

1) 1/18- SJU
2) 1/20- Xavier
3) 1/23- Creighton
4) 1/26- Butler
5) 1/31- SJU
6) 2/6- Hall
7) 2/10- PC
8) 2/13- Xavier
9) 2/16- PC

could be better (dont get to play Gtown) but could be worse (dont have to play Nova). hopefully he's back for xavier on 2/13. that would mean the only H/H he misses is against SJU.

finishing in the top half of the BE without our best player for half the conference schedule would be a great accomplishment

Last edited:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I have bone spurs on my heel and when they act up I can barely walk. It's not the spurs that hurt. The spurs cause inflammation in the soft tissue around the spurs. Very painful. He will be much better off having them removed. Wishing a full and speedy recovery to the lad.
I feel your pain. I had them lower side to heel. Huge pain. Barely walk is an understatement.

Reaction Score
Can the orthopedics on the board provide some info? I’ve had bone Spurs removed from each shoulder via arthroscopic surgery. It hurt like heck for a few days to a week. I was in rehab immediately and was good to go at 30 days. However, my shoulders were 50 at the time.

Reaction Score
Cheesy post alert but I was bored this morning lol: There’s some irony in the words “Bone Spurs“ given that he’s playing for the Huskies now and the San Antonio Spurs are slated to pick right around the middle of the first round- foreshadowing? ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom