Good news for Andre Drummond | The Boneyard

Good news for Andre Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...akers-bobcats-pelicans-nba-free-agency-rumors

The fact that Van Gundy opted for the Pistons over the other team in pursuit of him—the Warriors—offers some insight, one league general manager told Sporting News.

“There are two things that made that job better for Stan,” the GM said. “One is the fact that he gets to make personnel decisions, that is a big deal of course. But the other is Andre Drummond. If you want to build your team around a young player, Drummond is the guy.

"You’re not going to build around both him and Monroe, they had too much trouble making that work. You pick Drummond and move on from Monroe.”

Ideally, Van Gundy’s offense will be constructed like the one he had in Orlando, which was innovative at the time—he wants to spread the floor with shooters and create space for a power big man down low. It will be Drummond in Detroit, just as it had been Dwight Howard with the Magic.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Great for Drummond now they just need the right pieces around him

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The Dwight strategy didn't work in Orlando. And right now Drummond ain't Dwight. Pistons screwed themselves with the signings of smoove and Jennings, and I like Jennings.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Orlando made the finals. The Dwight strategy worked. Dwight didn't want to work. Andre will.
What's the point of making the finals if you can't win it? This isn't college where you can get credit for just making a final 4.

Reaction Score
What's the point of making the finals if you can't win it? This isn't college where you can get credit for just making a final 4.

Did you just tune out the second half of his post and thus, the point he was making?

Reaction Score
This is great. SVG now has the Doc Rivers' role in Detroit, whats his first move? How the hell do you get jennings and smith packing? He could actually work with smith, but jennings has got to go. One of the worst starting pg's in the league, ever. But this move no doubt puts them into the playoffs as athreat in the east. How about the coaching in the east? loaded, you got Stevens, SVG, Thibs, Kidd, Budenholzer , Clifford, eric spoelstra... all top flight

Reaction Score
The Dwight strategy didn't work in Orlando. And right now Drummond ain't Dwight. Pistons screwed themselves with the signings of smoove and Jennings, and I like Jennings.
If making the NBA Finals is considered not working, I think 30 teams would sign up for "not working" in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
It worked for one year.. and it worked because they had Dwight, a good PG and multiple 6'10 guys who could handle the ball, put it on the floor, shoot threes and caused matchup nightmares. That's not an easy model to repeat. That was a unique team with unique talent.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Did you just tune out the second half of his post and thus, the point he was making?
The second part of his post was that Dwight didn't want to work? Last time I checked Dwight Howard is/was better then Drummond, not sure what how hard they want to work has anything to do with it?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If making the NBA Finals is considered not working, I think 30 teams would sign up for "not working" in a heartbeat.
The goal is to win, no one cares about just making it. I'd rather have odds at the 1st pick in the draft then to pick 29th, jmo

Reaction Score
It's a dumb point to say it's wrong for the pistons to copy what the magic did and failed at with a worse player? Ok

It's dumb to say that a system that takes you to the NBA Finals didn't work. It's beyond dumb. But your posts in the Jalen Adams thread are just as nonsensical so maybe you can't help it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's dumb to say that a system that takes you to the NBA Finals didn't work. It's beyond dumb. But your posts in the Jalen Adams thread are just as nonsensical so maybe you can't help it.
They got to the finals one time, count it one. If anything it's an outlier. By the way it worked because they surrounded the most dominant under the rim big in the game with lots of shooters, the pistons don't have many shooters, they don't really have the personal to make it work.

Reaction Score
The Rockets won a championship by surounding Hakeem with shooters, so it can work.

Reaction Score
It's probably a good thing for 'Dre in the long run, but I don't think he'll be as happy after he gets done with the first practice. SVG doesn't exactly have a reputation as a players coach.

Also, if it's true that SVG chose Golden State over Detroit, I have to question his sanity. Golden State is one piece away from a championship, Detroit is probably hamstrung by the horrendous Josh Smith contract moving forward unless Drummond morphs into Shaq over night. Not to mention, I'd rather work in California than Detroit.

Reaction Score
It's probably a good thing for 'Dre in the long run, but I don't think he'll be as happy after he gets done with the first practice. SVG doesn't exactly have a reputation as a players coach.

Also, if it's true that SVG chose Golden State over Detroit, I have to question his sanity. Golden State is one piece away from a championship, Detroit is probably hamstrung by the horrendous Josh Smith contract moving forward unless Drummond morphs into Shaq over night. Not to mention, I'd rather work in California than Detroit.

Can't remember who exactly said it on Dan Leba*ard's radio show(might have been DL himself since him and SVG are tight and he was a weekly cohost), but they said SVG wanted total control to avoid a D12 type situation where all it took was 1 player to run him outta town. Once GS didn't give him that that's when he focused in on the Pistons.

Reaction Score
The second part of his post was that Dwight didn't want to work? Last time I checked Dwight Howard is/was better then Drummond, not sure what how hard they want to work has anything to do with it?

You won't get an argument from me that Howard is the better player at this and past points in their careers, however that wasn't the point. It's no big secret that towards the end of his and SVG's run there that D-Ho pretty much quit on the team and his coach. Honestly, I'm not sure of the exact timelines, but if memory serves, he pretty much played with the emotions of their management and the fans like a yo-yo. The system they ran wasn't perfect either, they probably were an elite slasher/scorer away from being championship caliber. But it was Van Gundy's blueprint that got them to be that good for those 5 years or so.

Reaction Score
Can't remember who exactly said it on Dan Leba*ard's radio show(might have been DL himself since him and SVG are tight and he was a weekly cohost), but they said SVG wanted total control to avoid a D12 type situation where all it took was 1 player to run him outta town. Once GS didn't give him that that's when he focused in on the Pistons.

That makes some sense, but it still seems like the logic is flawed. If you don't have anybody on your roster who can run you out of town, that means you don't have anybody on your roster who is good enough to take you to where you want to go. Plus, Curry - who I'm guessing would be the one player on Golden State with that sort of power - doesn't exactly seem like a coach killer. I could see him not wanting to coach somebody like Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, or even 'Melo, but the line he drew with the Warriors is kind of strange.

And, by the way, if Drummond continues to progress, he's going to be one of those guys real soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom