Good news for Andre Drummond | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good news for Andre Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That makes some sense, but it still seems like the logic is flawed. If you don't have anybody on your roster who can run you out of town, that means you don't have anybody on your roster who is good enough to take you to where you want to go. Plus, Curry - who I'm guessing would be the one player on Golden State with that sort of power - doesn't exactly seem like a coach killer. I could see him not wanting to coach somebody like Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, or even 'Melo, but the line he drew with the Warriors is kind of strange.

And, by the way, if Drummond continues to progress, he's going to be one of those guys real soon.

I also think seeing how Jackson got ran out because he didn't "play the game" all to well with the Warriors ownership probably played a part as well. Reading the Warriors beat writers' articles in the aftermath of Jackson's firing painted a picture of him as a my way or the highway type guy and SVG has some of that in him, there doesn't really seem to be any fakeness with either of the Van Gundys. Not many coaches would've done what SVG did when he outed D12 publically during that media session as going to ownership/mgmt and saying he wanted SVG fired. I don't want to jump inside SVG's head and say he wouldn't want to work for Lacob but it wouldn't shock me if not wanting to deal with him played a factor. One of the GS writers also brought up the fact that one of the reasons Lacob hired Jackson with no experience was that he wanted to go with a coach with little credibility in the coaching ranks and that he could control more and force ideas on. The two assistants that were fired midseason, Erman and Scalabrine, were included on a list of assistant coaching candidates that was passed down to Jackson.

Reaction Score
I also think seeing how Jackson got ran out because he didn't "play the game" all to well with the Warriors ownership probably played a part as well. Reading the Warriors beat writers' articles in the aftermath of Jackson's firing painted a picture of him as a my way or the highway type guy and SVG has some of that in him, there doesn't really seem to be any fakeness with either of the Van Gundys. Not many coaches would've done what SVG did when he outed D12 publically during that media session as going to ownership/mgmt and saying he wanted SVG fired. I don't want to jump inside SVG's head and say he wouldn't want to work for Lacob but it wouldn't shock me if not wanting to deal with him played a factor. One of the GS writers also brought up the fact that one of the reasons Lacob hired Jackson with no experience was that he wanted to go with a coach with little credibility in the coaching ranks and that he could control more and force ideas on. The two assistants that were fired midseason, Erman and Scalabrine, were included on a list of assistant coaching candidates that was passed down to Jackson.

That's a good point, the stubbornness of GS ownership definitely could have played a role. I believe Van Gundy has also been given free reign - at least to some extent - by Pistons ownership in regards to player personnel. That could have been another hang up for him, he strikes me as somewhat of a control freak. Seems like a great basketball mind, how he's able to manage egos - and Dwight definitely should bare a large portion of the responsibility for the way things ended in Orlando - will probably play a big role in the success he has moving forward. The Pistons are a relatively young team, so I imagine SVG will do well there for at least a couple years.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
SVG will be a God send for Detroit and Andre starting this year. They need shooters to take the pressure off of Andre.

I know he has stated on twitter that he is happy.

Reaction Score
Drummond is going to be better than Dwight. He's got a better work ethic and is more coachable.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Drummond is going to be better than Dwight. He's got a better work ethic and is more coachable.
Could be but it might take another year or 2. And for the people who think I'm bashing Drummond, he's one of my favorite players. He's just not Dwight level yet, and Detroit doesn't have many shooters

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Could be but it might take another year or 2. And for the people who think I'm bashing Drummond, he's one of my favorite players. He's just not Dwight level yet, and Detroit doesn't have many shooters

No one is debating this. Someone said that SVG should use the strategy to build this team that he did with Orlando. You said the Dwight strategy didn't work, which is wrong in many people's opinion on here. By the time he gets the other pieces in place, Andre will be as good as or better than Dwight, and will buy into the team strategy which Dwight clearly never did.

Reaction Score

Right he's obviously not there yet but he's only 20. Point is if SVG can get Dwight to the NBA Finals, its reasonable to assume that he'll do the same, or better, with Drummond in 2-3 years using the same methods.

Reaction Score
There was only one starter in the NBA who had less touches than Drummond. It's amazing he put up those numbers with no plays being drawn for him. Mo Cheeks was clueless, Drummond has excellent footwork and is a lot better offensively than people give him credit for. He's already the best rebounder in the NBA and I expect his offense to make a big leap next year, he will be the best big man in the league within a year or two.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Right he's obviously not there yet but he's only 20. Point is if SVG can get Dwight to the NBA Finals, its reasonable to assume that he'll do the same, or better, with Drummond in 2-3 years using the same methods.
There was only one starter in the NBA who had less touches than Drummond. It's amazing he put up those numbers with no plays being drawn for him. Mo Cheeks was clueless, Drummond has excellent footwork and is a lot better offensively than people give him credit for. He's already the best rebounder in the NBA and I expect his offense to make a big leap next year, he will be the best big man in the league within a year or two.
Agree completely, Drummond can be the best big in the leage in a year or 2. But your basing your team success on the potential of 1 player. Also the pistons still need to find shooters

Reaction Score
The Rockets won a championship by surounding Hakeem with shooters, so it can work.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...akers-bobcats-pelicans-nba-free-agency-rumors

The fact that Van Gundy opted for the Pistons over the other team in pursuit of him—the Warriors—offers some insight, one league general manager told Sporting News.

“There are two things that made that job better for Stan,” the GM said. “One is the fact that he gets to make personnel decisions, that is a big deal of course. But the other is Andre Drummond. If you want to build your team around a young player, Drummond is the guy.

"You’re not going to build around both him and Monroe, they had too much trouble making that work. You pick Drummond and move on from Monroe.”

Ideally, Van Gundy’s offense will be constructed like the one he had in Orlando, which was innovative at the time—he wants to spread the floor with shooters and create space for a power big man down low. It will be Drummond in Detroit, just as it had been Dwight Howard with the Magic.
Drummond has yet proved to me that he is into basketball the way Noah is engaged on every possession. Drummond still is spacing out on the court and unsure of his positioning on the offense and drifts back a lot on the defense. He lack intensity. On the other Monroe has been playing out of his nature position. Monroe if traded, Detroit needs to bring in a Rhondo.

Reaction Score
Drummond has yet proved to me that he is into basketball the way Noah is engaged on every possession. Drummond still is spacing out on the court and unsure of his positioning on the offense and drifts back a lot on the defense. He lack intensity. On the other Monroe has been playing out of his nature position. Monroe if traded, Detroit needs to bring in a Rhondo.
You really don't like Drummond, huh?

caw

Reaction Score

Not a single year in the league has Noah averaged as many rebounds as Drummond did this year, nor as many points. Noah was 22 as a rookie, Drummond is 20 now. Imagine how good he can be if he brings it every possession, or you know gets older.

Monroe is a pretty bad defender at any position. Drummond may not be focused but Monroe is just slow and bad on defense.

Reaction Score

Anthony Davis isn't going anywhere

Reaction Score
Dwight never solved his below average FT liablities. I suspect |(but not wishing), that Drummond could likely become a superstar in 2 years but he may never be able to lead his team to a championship if the FT problem is not fixed, let alone win more than 2 playoffs series in the same year. Dwight failed at it in LA last year and this year his Rockets got upset in the first round by Portland that knew how to exploit Dwight's greatest weakness. I hope Drummond can raise his FT average to 65-70%. Then sky is gonna be the limit for him and whichever team will build around him

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Drummond has yet proved to me that he is into basketball the way Noah is engaged on every possession.

Noah wasn't Noah until this year. And what is this, his 7th year?

Reaction Score

Noah has averaged a dbl dbl for about the past 5 seasons, biggest difference in him this year was the facilitating of the offense and assists, which came out of necessity due to their lineup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you have to be as engaged on every possession as Joakim Noah in order to be good then every other player in the NBA sucks.

caw

Reaction Score
Noah has averaged a dbl dbl for about the past 5 seasons, biggest different in him this year was the facilitating of the offense and assists, which came out of necessity due to their lineup.

Noah seemed to always have that ability though. He is similar to Anthony Davis in that he was a guard most of his life.

Aside: Drummond doesn't have to worry about FTs quite as much as Dwight because of how he scores most of his points. It will be interesting to see if SVG posts Drupnd more, in which case Fts will become a bigger factor.

Reaction Score

This. Noah is a more valuable player than Drummond right now, largely because he's the most effective defensive player in the game. However, he's 28, and Drummond just had a more productive season at age 20 than any Noah season save the most recent one, and a better offensive season than Noah has ever had. Drummond's career PER and his adjusted shooting numbers are all better than anything Noah has ever done (and keep in mind, TS% includes FT%). If Drummond becomes even an adequate FT shooter (think around 55%), he'll be among the very best centers (and maybe even players) in all of basketball by his early-to-mid 20s. He has the talent to be the centerpiece on a championship team, which is something generally reserved for 5-8 guys.

Reaction Score
Noah seemed to always have that ability though. He is similar to Anthony Davis in that he was a guard most of his life.

Aside: Drummond doesn't have to worry about FTs quite as much as Dwight because of how he scores most of his points. It will be interesting to see if SVG posts Drupnd more, in which case Fts will become a bigger factor.

Yea he did, he was a PG growing up before he grew alot in his later HS years, just like Davis. He would always lead the break off of rebounds at UF and even at times during his Chicago years but he's really become a main facilitator the past two years with Rose out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom