Good Luck Oregon State (and Washington State) | The Boneyard

Good Luck Oregon State (and Washington State)

Reaction Score
Next year OSU and WSU will be with Gonzaga in the WCC. That should be good.

And if they can schedule some nonconf games against some of their ex-PAC rivals…

Reaction Score
Definitely need to have a tough (UCONN like) non conference schedule. OSU WBB doesn't lose any players via graduation. As long as OSU doesn't lose anyone via portal, injury, etc., the future is very bright for the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
Oregon State isn’t going to sneak up on anybody next year. They’re likely a preseason top ten team (if not top five). The players are talented but I think their real strength is how well they play together. Just a cool, calm, and collected unit. Beers might be the nation’s best center next year. Skies are bright for OSU and congrats on a terrific run.

Reaction Score
Next year OSU and WSU will be with Gonzaga in the WCC. That should be good.

And if they can schedule some nonconf games against some of their ex-PAC rivals…
I hope every former OAC schedules them in November and December

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I hope every former OAC schedules them in November and December
I expect Tara will prioritize them if she can, as she and Rueck are founding members of the same mutual appreciation society. Provided we have charters for all OOC games too, a home and away would be a super compelling November offering.

Reaction Score
Yep. Oregon State is definitely going to be problem next year. They have some major talent and are well coached.

Reaction Score
I expect Tara will prioritize them if she can, as she and Rueck are founding members of the same mutual appreciation society. Provided we have charters for all OOC games too, a home and away would be a super compelling November offering.
The Ducks will be under political pressure to play them. Same with The Dub and Wazzu.

Reaction Score
Yep. Oregon State is definitely going to be problem next year. They have some major talent and are well coached.
Kind of sad they are now relegated to the Western CoastConference when the Pac-12 collapses. The pac at least tested everyone in conference. Schools in the West Coast Conference are Gonzaga, Portland, San Francisco, Saint Mary’s, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, Pacific, San Diego and Pepperdine. Not the same as playing against UCLA, Stanford, Utah or USC to battle test a team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Ducks will be under political pressure to play them. Same with The Dub and Wazzu.
The Ducks will definitely schedule them. Graves has stated frequently “ anyone anywhere” as a basic philosophy. The question remains home or away or both. These games really put fannies in the seats in both Eugene and Corvallis, ie sellouts.

Reaction Score
I was going to post this in the PAC-12 thread, since I stated that the NCAA Tournament will tell us how good was the PAC-12 this season. My view is really not different than what was my view in past seasons. The PAC-12 over the past 6-7 years has improved greatly from top to bottom. But the PAC-12 (other than Stanford) has yet to produce a NCAA champion. UA and Stanford did make it to the F4 that same season, and we had OSU & UW make the Final 4 before, but lately, PAC-12 Teams have not made it to the F4. Almost this season, but the PAC-12 had 5 teams in the Sweet 16, with only 2 making the Elite 8 (no better than ACC & SEC). A very good season, but somewhat disappointing that UCLA & Stanford did not make it to the Elite 8, and no PAC-12 Team in F4 this season.

Oh well, so long PAC-12, were now on to the PAC-2, and maybe more conference realignment in the next couple years.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Kind of sad they are now relegated to the Western CoastConference when the Pac-12 collapses. The pac at least tested everyone in conference. Schools in the West Coast Conference are Gonzaga, Portland, San Francisco, Saint Mary’s, Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, Pacific, San Diego and Pepperdine. Not the same as playing against UCLA, Stanford, Utah or USC to battle test a team.
I guess they're going to be independent in football. That's really going to hurt their budget.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Thank you. OSU put up a good fight. Offensive rebounding and 2nd chance points were the difference in this game. Congrats to South Carolina!
Maybe we'll schedule a home and home with you guys. I'd love to attend a game in Corvallis.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I was going to post this in the PAC-12 thread, since I stated that the NCAA Tournament will tell us how good was the PAC-12 this season. My view is really not different than what was my view in past seasons. The PAC-12 over the past 6-7 years has improved greatly from top to bottom. But the PAC-12 (other than Stanford) has yet to produce a NCAA champion. UA and Stanford did make it to the F4 that same season, and we had OSU & UW make the Final 4 before, but lately, PAC-12 Teams have not made it to the F4. Almost this season, but the PAC-12 had 5 teams in the Sweet 16, with only 2 making the Elite 8 (no better than ACC & SEC). A very good season, but somewhat disappointing that UCLA & Stanford did not make it to the Elite 8, and no PAC-12 Team in F4 this season.

Oh well, so long PAC-12, were now on to the PAC-2, and maybe more conference realignment in the next couple years.
I really thought OSU and Wazzu would keep the PAC name and recruit other schools to join them. I assume they will still own the name.

Reaction Score
Tough seeing the WBB Team lose TvO, and probably many more. Going to be interesting to see who leaves and who stays (including Rueck and coaching staff).

Reaction Score
Tough seeing the WBB Team lose TvO, and probably many more. Going to be interesting to see who leaves and who stays (including Rueck and coaching staff).
Sad to hear this… for you and other OSU fans, as well as for women’s basketball fans everywhere. At the peak of popularity, WBB is also going thru a very tough, and in some ways destructive, transition.

Reaction Score
Sydney Wiess Facebook post today:

"Let me make one thing clear before I begin- I am saying all of this on my own accord. This is my own perspective and my own words.

As someone who went to Oregon State for all 4 years and played for Coach Rueck all 4 years, I have taken the time to think to myself- what would I do under the circumstances that these kids are facing? NIL. PAC12 conference is no longer. Transfer portal makes it real easy. It’s a pretty hard trifecta to deny. Can I blame these kids for making an incredibly hard decision to leave? No, not given everything (and personal reasons respective to each individual) that they are working through. College is hard enough- adding this into the mix, I can’t imagine trying to navigate it all.
You know what made college a little easier and a lighter load for me to bear? My team. My staff. My community. My college. A stable and consistent home for four years as I went through growing pains, twists and turns, ups and downs, on and off the court. I had a support system that was unshakeable. I was immersed in relationships that I still count on to this very day. The only way that happened was through my commitment, my teammates commitment, my coaches and staff and fans- all of us, committed.

When I look at kids “committing”- whether it’s out of high school or from the transfer portal, I don’t put as much weight in that word as I once did. Because, look at what’s happening- not just at OSU, but around the country. This isn’t commitment; this isn’t team first mentality. As someone who has been a pro for 7 years now, this is a culture that should not be infiltrating the protected parts of the college experience. The main part being an unquestionable team-before-self approach; the rest of life, from a professional standpoint, is basically taking care of yourself. College is such a unique experience (especially as an athlete) where people are literally hired to TAKE CARE OF YOU- from coaches to support staff to academic advisors and so on. Everyone has their reasons to move forward, and I respect it. But, during a decision making process like this, there has to be more resources at the players disposal. They make their choice that is best for them at the end of the day, but are they truly understanding what comes with a decision like this? Again, I’m speaking in total reference about the nature of the NCAA.

Now for OSU, when it comes to Coach Rueck, I think it goes without saying what he has done CONSISTENTLY for this program. He took a team that wasn’t supposed to do much at all this season (they all said) to the Elite 8. That is quite literally.. ELITE. How many times have there been predictions about his team and he has SHATTERED those very expectations? He has nothing to prove to anyone. He earns success, he sets the team up to be successful- every season. When I look back to the teams I was apart of, the reflection of our success points back to Coach Rueck and the way he put us in position to simply make the right play. And how he coached us when the lights were off. It was every single day. That daily grind only we as players know. It took me all four years to become pro ready learning from him. He deserves so much more credit than the collective basketball community has been willing to give him- and that nonsense is for the birds. This man doesn’t need to do anything else to prove how dominant he is as a coach. To this day and probably up until I’m done playing, Coach Rueck is the best coach I’ve ever had, at every level.
The whole staff- I know how hard they work, every single day, and they pour their hearts into the kids, every season, including the off season. It doesn’t just start when the first official practice happens; it begins during the recruiting process.. years of building relationships, getting to know families and potential young women who could make OSU a home for four years. This is deep work the coaches do, and they are damn good at it. They are COMMITTED. Support staff included. Coach Ely, Olivia, Jason, and Jeff- their hearts, energy, attention, and time are all pouring into the team. I know because I was there. They don’t deserve any of what is happening. It’s not the kids fault; the whole situation is heartbreaking for all involved. But the staff now remains to forge ahead, to rebuild once more.

I’m here to simply state this team of kids was so special and we will all cherish the run they had. More importantly, because they deserve to be acknowledged and I don’t think anyone really GETS IT- the group of people who work for OSUWBB is full of top notch individuals. There is not another group like them, from college to the pros to overseas. I promise. I know the kids choosing to stick it out and remain at OSU have an uphill battle, but I find peace knowing they aren’t going at it alone. They have the best support system anyone could ask for. I hope for those who have decided to leave that they end up where they want to be. May the rest of their college experience match what their expectations are for starting somewhere new.

Forever,
Go BEAVS."

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
When I look at kids “committing”- whether it’s out of high school or from the transfer portal, I don’t put as much weight in that word as I once did. Because, look at what’s happening- not just at OSU, but around the country. This isn’t commitment
This is the bottom line. Commitment doesn't really mean anything anymore. It's just sloganeering. How many times have we seen someone declare on twitter they are "110% committed"...only to end up somewhere else eventually.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I really thought OSU and Wazzu would keep the PAC name and recruit other schools to join them. I assume they will still own the name.
OSU and WSU now own PAC league and history. They formally are now a 2 team league and within the p5 agreement have a 2 yr window to rectify that situation back to at least an 8 team league to get back into p5. The deal with WCC is only 2 years for now buying time for a final solution.

A new PAC could take 3 shapes. The 2 schools plus 6 or so teams from WCC or mountain west to create a new pac8.

A merger with WCC just renaming that conference PAC?.

Some crazy nationwide league that offered tv what they want- games in all time zones. Just for fun pretend it was WSU, OSU, Hawaii, San Diego St, Notre Dame, Rice, Florida St, Clemson and UConn.

Or PAC could really just shut down with the 2 schools just formally joining WCC.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

I was sad to see that OSU team blown up. They had potential to be a final 4 team over next 2 seasons. They could have won their new league and then been a tourney force. I also see why kids would leave, but it's depressing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
OSU and WSU now own PAC league and history. They formally are now a 2 team league and within the p5 agreement have a 2 yr window to rectify that situation back to at least an 8 team league to get back into p5. The deal with WCC is only 2 years for now buying time for a final solution.

A new PAC could take 3 shapes. The 2 schools plus 6 or so teams from WCC or mountain west to create a new pac8.

A merger with WCC just renaming that conference PAC?.

Some crazy nationwide league that offered tv what they want- games in all time zones. Just for fun pretend it was WSU, OSU, Hawaii, San Diego St, Notre Dame, Rice, Florida St, Clemson and UConn.

Or PAC could really just shut down with the 2 schools just formally joining WCC.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

I was sad to see that OSU team blown up. They had potential to be a final 4 team over next 2 seasons. They could have won their new league and then been a tourney force. I also see why kids would leave, but it's depressing.
Another big point is that if the league had dissolved, all the outgoing members would've split what was in the coffers (I think UCLA and USC were already cut out since they declared they were leaving so much earlier). As it is OSU and WSU get to divvy up a pretty decent pot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom