Good game for Culmo | The Boneyard

Good game for Culmo

Reaction Score
She is a nice woman and part of the UCONN women's basketball family.....but she does several things I find really annoying.
I get it, "Ball Movement" is her thing , when we move the ball we get better shots...however, if we get a wide open three , we should take it....If we miss it, she says its a bad shot, and when we make it, silence or it was a still a bad shot.
If anything, we throw more passes away because players don't take shots that they should and other players are surprised that the player didn't shoot.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I mentioned my take on Meg on another thread but by Magic, a dedicated thread to Meg Culmo appears

And by the way, am I the only one who continues to be annoyed with Meg Culmo every time Liv takes a fade away and says she should always take it strong to the glass. It is a good shot that gives her a nice counter opportunity and diversity to her game and Liv is very confident with it. Were people getting on Kareem for his sky hook? Head bang

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have now watched and listened to a lot of PAC12, Longhorn, SEC, ACC games with their cadre of announcers and my gosh, we as Husky fans, really do not know how good we have it. Some are just absolutely brutal and painful to listen to. Meg will point out when the team struggles and is not a true "homer" announcer like so many of the above conference announcers. In fact, I don't think I have yelled "SHUT UP" once during a SNY broadcast, which is unusual for me...:rolleyes:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I mentioned my take on Meg on another thread but by Magic, a dedicated thread to Meg Culmo appears
This is the first time I can recall someone quoting themselves in a post. Pretty cool. At least there is less likelihood of one of those back and forth spats that we see so often!:rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is the first time I can recall someone quoting themselves in a post. Pretty cool. At least there is less likelihood of one of those back and forth spats that we see so often!:rolleyes:

I do it from time to time when I want to establish a bit of a timeline.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
She is not only not a homer, she is a color analyst offering criticism about a team she loves. Her points on shooting 3s is usually when a shot is taken very early in the clock and often by one of the less reliable outside shooters. Her point on Liz I think is more that she hardly ever seeks contact and the fade away isn’t necessarily the best move against kids who can’t block you. Anyway, Meg has a relaxed personality and the yuks just come out, but not to where it makes her ineffective.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I like Meg and Doris Burke. Either one can call a game for me anytime. ;) I was also a fan of Howard Cosell. One of the most articulate men to ever sit behind a microphone. He (in my opinion) was a consummate journalist. You either loved him or hated him. Nobody could call a fight like Cosell. I loved him, Frank Gifford and that irrepressible former quarterback turned crooner dandy Don Meredith on Monday night football, who (on cue), would always let us know when the game was essentially over: Turn out the lights...............;)

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's not all that different from Napheesa's bump and fade and I don't remember complaints about that. The fadeaway shot by Liv is easy buckets.
Moreover, to me it looks like she begins her offensive move, and if she can't go TO the basket, she fades away and puts up the jumper. I THINK her instincts now are to start her offensive move towards the basket, but depending on what the defense gives her (double team, or she can't get around the defender), then she immediately switches to the fade away.

Of course I'm not an expert. Am I seeing it wrong? I have noticed it looks like she's more aggressive, but watch closely at how the other team defends her and tell me if I'm seeing it correctly?

Reaction Score
Liv is morphing into the best hi post/ lo post player in the game. And that includes her excellent passing. History is being made! Our offense should run through her. Give her the ball! Geno needs to devote a coupla practices to 'entry passes' and court vision like Ania has. Last night, Liv was wide open on the block and CW, instead of passing her the ball, decided to drive into a congested area, and turned it over. And Geno didn't yank her! What's up with that? CW's error in judgment was more than obvious. Even Megan Culmo commented effusively on that lapse. This shouldn't happen; we're past the middle of the season. Are we going to play 'team' ball or what?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Moreover, to me it looks like she begins her offensive move, and if she can't go TO the basket, she fades away and puts up the jumper. I THINK her instincts now are to start her offensive move towards the basket, but depending on what the defense gives her (double team, or she can't get around the defender), then she immediately switches to the fade away.

Of course I'm not an expert. Am I seeing it wrong? I have noticed it looks like she's more aggressive, but watch closely at how the other team defends her and tell me if I'm seeing it correctly?

It always been that way. You take what the defense gives you, or allows you to do. There are different ways to score off the low-post block. A good post should be adept at all of them. She should show whoever is guarding her all of her moves in the first quarter. That way they can’t play her for one or two moves.

Personally, I’d like to see her use the drop step when possible and leap towards the basket. She either gets two points, or goes to the line. She must make those bunnies if she is not fouled!!

Usually, when a guard gives you the ball on the block, they don’t want it back. Not many opposing players are going to block her shot. Especially after being beaten by the drop step because now they’re out of position. Post players have been using that move with success since the dawn of man. It will work for her if she executes it the right way.

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I guess that I am in the minority here, but as I was watching the replay this morning I am so glad that Meghan was doing the analysis, she tells it like it is and has no problem with complaining about our game and complimenting our opponent...I have no complaints about her broadcasting.

Reaction Score
Networks consistently make the mistake of thinking that former players will make good announcers. There are certainly some that do a serviceable job but others are just awful. Women’s basketball would seem to be a good place for broadcast journalism majors to get first jobs. For some reason, though, there’s a hiring mantra of ‘must be a former player and must be a woman.‘ I think Meg is OK, but there are certainly others who are better.

Reaction Score
Networks consistently make the mistake of thinking that former players will make good announcers. There are certainly some that do a serviceable job but others are just awful. Women’s basketball would seem to be a good place for broadcast journalism majors to get first jobs. For some reason, though, there’s a hiring mantra of ‘must be a former player and must be a woman.‘ I think Meg is OK, but there are certainly others who are better.
Meg is not a homer which is very important to me .. being a former Husky also makes for interesting commentary .. but mostly she feels like family which stops me from muting the volume which I usually do .. no, IMO, Meg is perfect for the Husky broadcasts and i m starting to like and appreciate Alan Bestwick [sp?] much as I did Eric Frede, eh?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess that I am in the minority here, but as I was watching the replay this morning I am so glad that Meghan was doing the analysis, she tells it like it is and has no problem with complaining about our game and complimenting our opponent...I have no complaints about her broadcasting.

I don't think you are in the minority. Some of us have pet issues this thread is allowing us to discuss but I at least appreciate her willingness to be critical and not a homer.

Reaction Score
Meg is not a homer which is very important to me .. being a former Husky also makes for interesting commentary .. but mostly she feels like family which stops me from muting the volume which I usually do .. no, IMO, Meg is perfect for the Husky broadcasts and i m starting to like and appreciate Alan Bestwick [sp?] much as I did Eric Frede, eh?
I’ve always thought that Robin Roberts was the best ever, but she was the unique combination of former player and broadcast journalism major. Meg can be a little silly but is much better than many others.

Carnac

Reaction Score

No argument with your take. The thing is there are now (in 2020) so many opportunities that exist for up and coming want-to-be broadcast journalists that if you really want to get into the business, there are lots of entry level positions available if you are willing to step up to the plate.

Very few former players (that want to) are able to transition from the floor to the color analyst chair smoothly and seamlessly. I’ve heard some that were able to pull it off without any formal training, and some (a couple of former WNBA players) that couldn’t. They had no on air personality, and they had very little insight to offer about the game. There was a lot of “dead air” when they should have been talking. Producers are generally pretty good at weeding them out.

Being behind a “live” microphone can be intimidating. If you flub or mess up, you don’t get any do overs. How many horrible post-game interviews have we seen athletes at all levels give over the last few years? :eek:

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She’s a post player. It’s her “point of emphasis” as a player and coach, probably something she heard a million times from Geno

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She’s a post player. It’s her “point of emphasis” as a player and coach, probably something she heard a million times from Geno

Geno in his general comments acknowledges that Liv is not a traditional post. The game plan must evolve around her skill set and what she is most comfortable doing while adding other stuff to her game incrementally.

Reaction Score
Meg calls a very good game and is, we must remember, an ex-husky player who played for Geno. She does not make any bones about putting him somewhere between Master of the Universe and My Very Favorite Person In The Entire World and that is understandable. Bottom line, she is a class act who realizes that these are young women who have a lot of pressure on them and does not feel it is her role to add to it.

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
No argument with your take. The thing is there are now (in 2020) so many opportunities that exist for up and coming want-to-be broadcast journalists that if you really want to get into the business, there are lots of entry level positions available if you are willing to step up to the plate.

Very few former players (that want to) are able to transition from the floor to the color analyst chair smoothly and seamlessly. I’ve heard some that were able to pull it off without any formal training, and some (a couple of former WNBA players) that couldn’t. They had no on air personality, and they had very little insight to offer about the game. There was a lot of “dead air” when they should have been talking. Producers are generally pretty good at weeding them out.

Being behind a “live” microphone can be intimidating. If you flub or mess up, you don’t get any do overs. How many horrible post-game interviews have we seen athletes at all levels give over the last few years? :eek:
I realize that this is a Meghan thread but your post made me think of Blair Schaefer and her brief gig as an analyst. I was impressed with what appeared to me as a smooth transition to the microphone after she graduated from MSU. I am kinda sad that she is not doing it anymore but I guess working as a member of her father's staff might work out for her too.

Now, returning to Meg...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom