Good Feelings Again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good Feelings Again

Reaction Score
Mitchell and Swenson have done a good job replacing Morgan and Gilmartin. The injury of Harrell is problematical. His backup is Robinson. Oneil is one of our few players in our secondary that turns his head and makes plays on the ball. He led the team in interceptions last year and had one in the Umass game. His problem is that he gets beat often in coverage and is a awful tackler. He got benched and was replaced by Robert King yesterday after giving up a touchdown pass. Robert was beaten badly last week on that 50 yard touchdown pass in the second half of the Houston game. Our second best coverage guy after Keyshawn Paul is Tahj Herring-Wilson and he was out yesterday as well. Injuries have definitely weaken our defense.

We could certainly use a couple JUCO linebackers or a grad transfer in next year's class. I know everyone is coming back but we need more depth at linebacker.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much they would have helped as even when they were on field the defense has been a sieve.

I am very intrigued with Jones though. I think he might just end up being an nfl player when all is said and done.

We are woefully deficient at LB. Our biggest position of need imo.

T Jones, absent injury, will be in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Great win. I’m starting to see some real growth and you can see in the Illinois and Houston games we game up a score short from taking the win. One more very winnable game against ECU. A 3 win team this season would be great improvement from last. Going independent in my opinion will help with recruiting because it adds some excitement to the schedule and we’re playing marque programs every other week rather than some good/average schools. I think this team will see a turnaround, not immediately but in a few years.

Also I wanna play Rutgers so bad. I hate Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure how much they would have helped as even when they were on field the defense has been a sieve.

I am very intrigued with Jones though. I think he might just end up being an nfl player when all is said and done.
Morgan played. Jackson Mitchell is going to be a special player. Obviously missed Harrell and Herring-Wilson yesterday. Robinson still needs to understand the safety position.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Great win. I’m starting to see some real growth and you can see in the Illinois and Houston games we game up a score short from taking the win. One more very winnable game against ECU. A 3 win team this season would be great improvement from last.

Holy gypsum this is sketchy thinking. The win against UMass was great, but let's not pretend we're a couple of plays short of a 5 win team. We are miles from winning 5 games.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And at the end of the day that’s what it is about. Glad they got to celebrate a win.
If that was the case, they shouldn't charge admission, sell concessions, and grown ups should stop discussing the ins and outs of every little detail of the program on the Internet.

I'm glad the players get to build on their confidence, but I'm happier that I get to celebrate a win. I feel better about where I spend my entertainment dollar and that my season ticket investment isn't going to total waste.

I'm also not totally embarrassed about my Husky pumpkin carving.

Reaction Score
Holy gypsum this is sketchy thinking. The win against UMass was great, but let's not pretend we're a couple of plays short of a 5 win team. We are miles from winning 5 games.

Amen. I’m attributing some of the irrational exuberance to the fact that folks have lost their ability for rational thinking after losing so many straight.

Reaction Score
It all comes crashing down on Friday night. But the following two games have definite possibilities ....

Reaction Score
Morgan may have played, but missing guys who otherwise would have played minimally would have helped in depth, options, etc

Reaction Score
Kids have to feel really good right now.
They do, and part of it has to do with the commitment to the progeam and the 2020 schedule. They’re psyched. It matters.
Couple that with the win and Jack Zergiotis’s improving command and control (which the players have bought into) and it means we have a bounce in our step again. The Navy game should be very competitive. Winning is no longer just a pipe dream.

Reaction Score
Still think we could use a bigger back to help with blocking and get that important 2-3 yards in a pile. It didn't show up against an undersized UMass defense but has been an issue when we go up against legit D1 linemen. Happy with the result yesterday. More because Jack and the receivers got a lot more reps and experience in the passing game. Gets him out of any shell-shocked mindset and closer to just managing the games and making good decisions. He keeps having the occasional WTF moment but with more film to look at he'll reduce those bad decisions.

Better QB. Better Blocking. Solid RB's. Talented young receivers getting experience.
Jury is still out on Giuffre as OC as we live through his on the job training. Now with the new schedules coming we'll see if RE can recruit off of them.

We need more than the rare win and with Benedict so wrapped in the transition and scheduling he's got to be hoping RE can right the ship starting now so he doesn't have to take on a coaching search to boot. I don't think RE is a long term answer, but in fairness and for us to at least give an image of stability he probably gets a 4th year. A good coach and staff can turn around a program and even make it competitive even without a bunch of 3,4,5 * guys and that is the next most important priority after RE is done. If we can't get another win this year it's a possibility he goes but it will probably be about getting close to .500 next year. 5 wins and some decent recruiting has to be the minimum. If you're DB you have to say I'm holding up my end now the Coach needs to show results.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think it is so much the joy of beating an eminently beatable team as much as the absence of being miserable after either losing to an eminently beatable team or being crushed by a better one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They do, and part of it has to do with the commitment to the progeam and the 2020 schedule. They’re psyched. It matters.
Couple that with the win and Jack Zergiotis’s improving command and control (which the players have bought into) and it means we have a bounce in our step again. The Navy game should be very competitive. Winning is no longer just a pipe dream.

I love the enthusiasm, I really do, but if there is an opponent where play at LB is more important, I can’t think of who it is. Navy will run wild on us.

Reaction Score
I love the enthusiasm, I really do, but if there is an opponent where play at LB is more important, I can’t think of who it is. Navy will run wild on us.
This worries me too.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We could certainly use a couple JUCO linebackers or a grad transfer in next year's class. I know everyone is coming back but we need more depth at linebacker.

I actually think they can use another defensive tackle or two. They are light inside which would help the linebackers flow freely and make tackles closer to the line of scrimmage or shoot the gap to make the stop behind the line.
I think a year of weights would help Jackson out and Swenson staying in one position for a change

Reaction Score
Navy will run wild on us.
Understood. And likely. But our offense should be able to move the ball. Our play calling has improved. Now we’re also executing much better. I like our chances.

Reaction Score
Does anybody know what the deal is with TJ Gardner? He's the most prototypical LB (even tho he switched to DL) we have and he is MIA..

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our play calling has improved. Now we’re also executing much better.

I’m not sure if this is the case, or if it just seems that way because we played against the team that was woefully inept at stopping the run. Was it improved offense, or the perfect storm of Randy’s same old offense against a pretty bad UMass team?

Reaction Score
They won, can't people enjoy this one day before the usual kiljoys come out to pisss on it
Maybe if the game hadn't had a turnover every 30 seconds early on that set the tone. And they hadn't allowed 35 points to the worst team in the nation. The passing accuracy is starting to come though. That 50 yarder was a thing of beauty on a very nice trajectory.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Maybe if the game hadn't had a turnover every 30 seconds early on that set the tone. And they hadn't allowed 35 points to the worst team in the nation. The passing accuracy is starting to come though. That 50 yarder was a thing of beauty on a very nice trajectory.

We beat an FBS team by 3 touchdowns with a freshman quarterback. That's what happened. There's no reason to make more of it, but there is most certainly no reason to make less of it...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom