Good Diamond Deshields Piece | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good Diamond Deshields Piece

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not a team player. Sounds like Sun material.

Reaction Score
Oh look, ESPN pushing DeShields as a superstar! Who would have thought? :rolleyes:

I expect everyone here will love Diamond now that she said this, right?

"I love Geno [Auriemma]. He’s a great coach, he’s a great leader, a great example for his players and he has instilled a competitiveness in them they probably wouldn’t have had they gone somewhere else. Kansas has won 13 consecutive regular-season championships, and nobody is saying it’s bad for the game. … They work hard. You’re a hater if you think that that’s bad for the game. Everybody else needs to elevate themselves."

If you liked Diamond--after reading you probably still like her--if you didn't like her--she gave you a few more reasons. The least of which is "I want to go 1st in the WNBA draft" Why not someone has to. But I wonder what WNBA management will think of her comments on the WNBA salary--it is what it is--will she be able to live on it???? Or European teams--not paying the money to players that was owed??? She has an ego---someone say Geeeeze!!!

Reaction Score
In interesting piece on Diamond. She said she wants to be the #1 pick in the WNBA draft. She did not indicate which draft, the one next month, or the 2018 draft. My money is on the one next month!!

She's a red-shirt junior. She should have her degree in May. Her class is eligible for this year's WNBA draft. I've said all year, she's leaving after this season for the WNBA. Why should she spend another year in college, chasing a championship that she realizes she may never get, when can can move on with her life and career aspirations at the next level?

I didn't need any prognosticating paraphernalia, or an Epiphany to come to that conclusion. Anyone could see that. After reading this piece, I think she has pretty much removed any doubt about her plans for next year. DeShields should be a first round selection. The first overall pick?, I don't think so. The San Antonio Stars have the first pick, and they don't need a guard as much as they do a wing and a post player. Kelsey plum will go before she does. And maybe Shatori Walker-Kimbrough. Two post players that are also coming out that may fill a need for a team: Alaina Coates (SC) & Kelsey Lang (Texas).

The April draft will have DD in it, if she has any hopes of #1. But pick this, next or the next--and she doesn't look like a #1 in any of them. If I had to make a choice I'd take MD's W-K over DD, she is more predictable.

Reaction Score
Diamond sure does have a practiced I. She really does admire her ability.

It's amazing how much she is publicized for her basketball skills when the only category in which she is ranked nationally is Field Goal Attempts. Her knack for attracting attention is impressive, perhaps because she says things that others in the public light don't.

I do think many teams would want her because her stardom, real or not, will put butts in the seats. She's as popular as a basketball player as addle brained Al Capone was a gangster in his final years.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Good article.

Small digression. Just noticed you folks got a new AD, one of your own, John Currie. He fired Deb Patterson at KState and the whole Romero thing, well some say he threw his elbows around on that one and then capitulated. Is he a plus for WBB?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Diamond sure does have a practiced I. She really does admire her ability.

It's amazing how much she is publicized for her basketball skills when the only category in which she is ranked nationally is Field Goal Attempts. Her knack for attracting attention is impressive, perhaps because she says things that others in the public light don't.

I do think many teams would want her because her stardom, real or not, will put butts in the seats. She's as popular as a basketball player as addle brained Al Capone was a gangster in his final years.

LOL Beast, tell us how you really feel. ;)

Reaction Score
I think Williams will have to improve her perimeter skills to get taken highly in next years draft. She needs to develop a consistent 3 point shot and better ball handling because she'll likely be a guard at the next level and not a forward. She may be able to get by with just her athleticism in College but the pros is a whole different ball game and their are tons of players just as athletic as her if not more.

While I agree I'd point out that Williams shoots 3's at about the same efficiency as DeShields has in her 3 years of college ball. And the way she works on her game I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she shoots them better next year than DeShields ever did in college.

Reaction Score
If I was a GM and could do it I'd trade the No 1 pick this year for a guaranteed top 3 pick next year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Small digression. Just noticed you folks got a new AD, one of your own, John Currie. He fired Deb Patterson at KState and the whole Romero thing, well some say he threw his elbows around on that one and then capitulated. Is he a plus for WBB?
He did graduate fromTennessee. He also was there when Mike Hamilton was there. I am waiting to see how he does.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
this article confirms to me that she is not leaving TN unless the LVs AT LEAST make it to the FF. she doesn't need the money and already sees that playing pro ball is not as desirable for women.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If I was a GM and could do it I'd trade the No 1 pick this year for a guaranteed top 3 pick next year.
this article confirms to me that she is not leaving TN unless the LVs AT LEAST make it to the FF. she doesn't need the money and already sees that playing pro ball is not as desirable for women. i especially love that she would not visit Trump at the white house. that's my girl! ha
i totally agree. mitchell, diamond (possibly), wilson, etc are a much better class.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Oh look, ESPN pushing DeShields as a superstar! Who would have thought? :rolleyes:

I expect everyone here will love Diamond now that she said this, right?

"I love Geno [Auriemma]. He’s a great coach, he’s a great leader, a great example for his players and he has instilled a competitiveness in them they probably wouldn’t have had they gone somewhere else. Kansas has won 13 consecutive regular-season championships, and nobody is saying it’s bad for the game. … They work hard. You’re a hater if you think that that’s bad for the game. Everybody else needs to elevate themselves."
Yep. My new favorite player. That despite the fact that every time she speaks of social issues she says we and every time she speaks of BB related issues she says "me". Yep, she's going to go early in the 1st round of the draft. Then for her entire career she's going to be that tantalizing athlete that coaches try to get to work in a team concept and end up getting fired as her inconsistency and lack of team oriented skills prove incongruent for a championship team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think I have ever seen this comparison before but at least to me, DD reminds me of Jewel Lloyd (but bigger) and not only because of the name. In particular, in my mind, they have great talent but their outside shots were inconsistent and would sometimes take them at the most ridiculous times. I think Jewel has improved in the WNBA (helps to have Sue / Stewie) so I see a good pro career for DD once she realizes she does not need to do everything instantaneously.

Would love to hear if others see the connection?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Equating DeShields with past UT greats is a stretch.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
She really does admire her ability.

Yeah. I remember once hearing her say that when she stops playing basketball, she wants to be a supermodel. Not a model, a supermodel.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I see DD as a great young kid, whose life experiences don't follow too many established paths. Most of us didn't grow up in MLB club houses. She has had to invent her own progression to her goals. Yes, she has been an enigmatic player at UT, sometimes really good, other times downright awful. But she does have basketball talent deserving of my respect. She is thoughtful and communicative - just like our faves at UConn.

I am still not a big fan. It isn't required that the universe agree with me, though. I wish her the best as she moves forward.

Reaction Score
In interesting piece on Diamond. She said she wants to be the #1 pick in the WNBA draft. She did not indicate which draft, the one next month, or the 2018 draft. My money is on the one next month!!

She's a red-shirt junior. She should have her degree in May. Her class is eligible for this year's WNBA draft. I've said all year, she's leaving after this season for the WNBA. Why should she spend another year in college, chasing a championship that she realizes she may never get, when can can move on with her life and career aspirations at the next level?

I didn't need any prognosticating paraphernalia, or an Epiphany to come to that conclusion. Anyone could see that. After reading this piece, I think she has pretty much removed any doubt about her plans for next year. DeShields should be a first round selection. The first overall pick?, I don't think so. The San Antonio Stars have the first pick, and they don't need a guard as much as they do a wing and a post player. Kelsey plum will go before she does. And maybe Shatori Walker-Kimbrough. Two post players that are also coming out that may fill a need for a team: Alaina Coates (SC) & Kelsey Lang (Texas).
You said "chasing a championship that she realizes she may never get" and that "MAY" part is pretty much as a guaranteed NO WAY as anything on the planet. The Tennessee program has been out of sync for many years now and with the Huskies loaded for bear next year with virtually everyone excepting Chong back and an amazing influx of new talent coming in, who would bet on their chances? Beyond which there are numerous other teams that are vastly superior who will likely be even stronger next year.

Reaction Score
I see DD as a great young kid, whose life experiences don't follow too many established paths. Most of us didn't grow up in MLB club houses. She has had to invent her own progression to her goals. Yes, she has been an enigmatic player at UT, sometimes really good, other times downright awful. But she does have basketball talent deserving of my respect. She is thoughtful and communicative - just like our faves at UConn.

I am still not a big fan. It isn't required that the universe agree with me, though. I wish her the best as she moves forward.
Through most of your reply I was convinced that you indeed WERE a big fan. My opinion of her is not an awful one but appreciably toned down from the major thrust of your response. If the fave from UConn you are correlating her to is DT, then maybe I could see a little parallel. She sounds very cocky and arrogant and that sure sounds like Ms. Taurasi. I prefer confident to arrogant, myself and that's how I perceive my favorite UConn players, like this years BIG THREE plus Kia and the just graduated BIG THREE, as well. Just my view of things.

Reaction Score
While I agree I'd point out that Williams shoots 3's at about the same efficiency as DeShields has in her 3 years of college ball. And the way she works on her game I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she shoots them better next year than DeShields ever did in college.
Actually I'm in total agreement, that based on what I've heard about DD and her performances during her college career, the good, bad and ugly of it all, why wouldn't I consider Gabby first. Based on where Gabby is NOW and likely will be next year and her amazing athleticism, in what specific area does DD have an advantage? It doesn't appear that, other than some people saying that DD is finally recognizing her teammates and passing them the ball when they're in better positions to score, has she improved very much in her college career. Her numbers aren't very impressive while Gabby's continue to improve and I love her demeanor. She's soft spoken and driven and I am confident that she'd be a much better asset and integrate with new teammates much better and more easily.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I remember once hearing her say that when she stops playing basketball, she wants to be a supermodel. Not a model, a supermodel.
Modifying Tim McGraw's song, her version would be "I like me, I love me, I want some more of me" and that's a bit sad. Confidence is one thing but this girl is off the charts with arrogance, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I don't think I have ever seen this comparison before but at least to me, DD reminds me of Jewel Lloyd (but bigger) and not only because of the name. In particular, in my mind, they have great talent but their outside shots were inconsistent and would sometimes take them at the most ridiculous times. I think Jewel has improved in the WNBA (helps to have Sue / Stewie) so I see a good pro career for DD once she realizes she does not need to do everything instantaneously.

Would love to hear if others see the connection?
I don't think she's anywhere near as good as Jewel Lloyd was. Jewel Lloyd was a lot more efficient on the offensive end and much more team oriented. I also think Jewel was a better defensive player than is DD. I have seen or heard nothing to suggest that DD would have been able to play in a structured setting like either UConn or Notre Dame though I've heard that she's finally started to move A BIT in that direction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom