Good day for Cinci? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good day for Cinci?

Reaction Score
That's a good way to think about it....who would be favored? We know lines aren't necessarily set based on who is best...but it's a good indicator.

I would guess that Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State and Michigan would be favored over Cincy right now. I think ND would be a pickem'.
Cincy was favored over Notre Dame when they played @ Notre Dame. What has changed in the past few weeks to change that?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Cincy was favored over Notre Dame when they played @ Notre Dame. What has changed in the past few weeks to change that?
Spread was only 2.5...and that was 7 weeks ago. My opinion is that in games since they played, ND has looked better than Cincy. That's why I think it might be a pickem'.

Just my opinion of course....what do you think it would be?

Reaction Score
I said that Cinci needed Okla and Oregon to lose and voila, Cats are #4 now.

And if Ga beats Bama, they end up at #3.

Of course as these things often go, I wont be surprised if they blow it against Houston.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
I said that Cinci needed Okla and Oregon to lose and voila, Cats are #4 now.

And if Ga beats Bama, they end up at #3.

Of course as these things often go, I wont be surprised if they blow it against Houston.
Agreed. The cynic in me feels that this is a bit of an olive branch and that they put change course based on the eye test later on, unless cincy can win out and a few other things fall into place. I find it hard to believe that a one-loss big 12 champ will be left out of it comes down to that. Nevertheless, it’s going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Reaction Score
That's a good way to think about it....who would be favored? We know lines aren't necessarily set based on who is best...but it's a good indicator.

I would guess that Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State and Michigan would be favored over Cincy right now. I think ND would be a pickem'.
This is why college football is so freakin boring. Everybody wants to judge games based on paper.

Cincy has earned theircurrent spot. If they win out, impossible they aren’t in now unless CFP wants to prove the deck is stacked and process is a fraud.

Would love to see Cincy get a crack at NC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The biggest indictment of the current system was self-exposed day one.

In the first season of CFP, going into "conference championship week" Ohio State was on the outside looking in. Third ranked (by CFP) TCU beat Iowa St 55-3 and dropped to 6, leaving the door open for OSU. I really am not sure what is more absurd, that TCU's thrashing of their in conference opponent in the conference title game was not sufficient to keep them from dropping more than one spot (which would have kept them in) or that it took some alternative mathematics to allow OSU (who in the playoffs demonstrated that they were clearly better than the three schools selected ahead of them) to join the party. What may be most bizarre is that Baylor (who did not play) somehow jumped TCU in the last ranking

As far as this year goes, when Alabama beat Florida (yes, the Florida who just fired their head coach) in October, they did so because a) Florida missed an extra point after their first touchdown and b) because of that miss, had to go for two late in the game (after their last touchdown) in an attempt to tie the game and did not succeed. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to believe that if the first extra point was not missed, that would have gone into overtime. Would Alabama be any different on the field today if they did in fact need overtime to beat Florida? Would the opinion of Alabama as far as being deserving of a spot in the CFP have taken a hit if that game did go into overtime?

The thing is, you cannot base it solely on who you believe would win a head to head game as a) the opinion could be wrong (nobody would have selected OSU against Bama the first time around) and b) it is possible that an extremely strong team could have stumbled, messed up or just not cared enough during a game or two during the season and if this is based solely on who you believe would win, there then would be no consequences for said mishap. That goes against the spirit of competition.

My biggest problem with the CFP is that while claiming they want to find an true champion, they are just continuing the subjectivity of the results (disguised as a true playoff) while having eliminated the closest thing to an objective selection (the computer rankings from the BCS) which was eliminated solely because it wasn't gaming the system against non P-5 schools as completely as they wanted.

Cincinnati warranted a lot more consideration for a spot last year than they received and represented well against a very good Georgia squad at year end. The same Georgia is now clearly the most deserving of a spot at this point but Cincinnati, after doing all that it could to date still is at risk of being eliminated, not due to what they did on the field, but rather because they aren't yet a member of a conference that the committee is willing to give a spot to.

Reaction Score
If you don't win your conference (Alabama) you shouldn't be in the playoffs. Plain and simple. Best teams in the country win their conference championship games.

Reaction Score
The biggest indictment of the current system was self-exposed day one.

In the first season of CFP, going into "conference championship week" Ohio State was on the outside looking in. Third ranked (by CFP) TCU beat Iowa St 55-3 and dropped to 6, leaving the door open for OSU. I really am not sure what is more absurd, that TCU's thrashing of their in conference opponent in the conference title game was not sufficient to keep them from dropping more than one spot (which would have kept them in) or that it took some alternative mathematics to allow OSU (who in the playoffs demonstrated that they were clearly better than the three schools selected ahead of them) to join the party. What may be most bizarre is that Baylor (who did not play) somehow jumped TCU in the last ranking

As far as this year goes, when Alabama beat Florida (yes, the Florida who just fired their head coach) in October, they did so because a) Florida missed an extra point after their first touchdown and b) because of that miss, had to go for two late in the game (after their last touchdown) in an attempt to tie the game and did not succeed. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to believe that if the first extra point was not missed, that would have gone into overtime. Would Alabama be any different on the field today if they did in fact need overtime to beat Florida? Would the opinion of Alabama as far as being deserving of a spot in the CFP have taken a hit if that game did go into overtime?

The thing is, you cannot base it solely on who you believe would win a head to head game as a) the opinion could be wrong (nobody would have selected OSU against Bama the first time around) and b) it is possible that an extremely strong team could have stumbled, messed up or just not cared enough during a game or two during the season and if this is based solely on who you believe would win, there then would be no consequences for said mishap. That goes against the spirit of competition.

My biggest problem with the CFP is that while claiming they want to find an true champion, they are just continuing the subjectivity of the results (disguised as a true playoff) while having eliminated the closest thing to an objective selection (the computer rankings from the BCS) which was eliminated solely because it wasn't gaming the system against non P-5 schools as completely as they wanted.

Cincinnati warranted a lot more consideration for a spot last year than they received and represented well against a very good Georgia squad at year end. The same Georgia is now clearly the most deserving of a spot at this point but Cincinnati, after doing all that it could to date still is at risk of being eliminated, not due to what they did on the field, but rather because they aren't yet a member of a conference that the committee is willing to give a spot to.
Continue to believe what you want to believe, reality be damned.

If they’re biased against the G5, why was an undefeated Cinci several spots ahead of an undefeated Okla?

And if you’re talking about results on the field, Cincis problem was struggling against awful teams like Navy Tulane Tulsa and USF.
Friggin Tulsa was inside the 5 with a chance to send the game to OT!
The Cats were dinged for that snd rightfully so.

Reaction Score
So if sunbelt and cusa champs go undefeated, they get in?

The playoff is not designed to pick best teams in a conference, it’s designed to pick best 4 teams in the country. That is their mission. Cincy, imho, is not in that group.

Reaction Score
If you don't win your conference (Alabama) you shouldn't be in the playoffs. Plain and simple. Best teams in the country win their conference championship games.
This is lazy thinking. It's completely possible that the best 4 teams in the country come from the same conference, in which case 3 of the best teams in the country are not conference champions. You can argue about how you want to place teams into the playoff, but if you say you want to take the best 4 teams, conference championships don't matter.

Reaction Score
So if sunbelt and cusa champs go undefeated, they get in?

The playoff is not designed to pick best teams in a conference, it’s designed to pick best 4 teams in the country. That is their mission. Cincy, imho, is not in that group.
Cincy deserve to be in if they go undefeated. The rest of the teams, except for Georgia, haven't had good enough seasons to clearly indicate that they're better than Cincy. Also Cincy has won 20 of their last 21 games except for a 3 point loss to UGA, who is clearly the best team in the country.

Reaction Score
This is lazy thinking. It's completely possible that the best 4 teams in the country come from the same conference, in which case 3 of the best teams in the country are not conference champions. You can argue about how you want to place teams into the playoff, but if you say you want to take the best 4 teams, conference championships don't matter.
FBS is the only level of football that has this ridiculously stupid way to make it to the playoffs. Literally every other level of football at the collegiate level, pro and even high school requires to to win your conference to get an automatic bid to the playoffs. There's literally no human biased in that. They also have a ton of at large bids. So no it's not lazy. It's being fair. You want to make it into the 4 team playoffs win your conference. Look at it this way, in the MLB playoffs, a team that won it's division beat the wildcard team and the number one team in the majors and won the World Series. If the playoffs were ran the same as as D1 Atlanta wouldn't have even been included. Point being whoever loses the SEC title games deserves to be out of the playoffs plain and simple.

Reaction Score
FBS is the only level of football that has this ridiculously stupid way to make it to the playoffs. Literally every other level of football at the collegiate level, pro and even high school requires to to win your conference to get an automatic bid to the playoffs. There's literally no human biased in that. They also have a ton of at large bids. So no it's not lazy. It's being fair. You want to make it into the 4 team playoffs win your conference. Look at it this way, in the MLB playoffs, a team that won it's division beat the wildcard team and the number one team in the majors and won the World Series. If the playoffs were ran the same as as D1 Atlanta wouldn't have even been included. Point being whoever loses the SEC title games deserves to be out of the playoffs plain and simple.
I am not interested in the arguments about the best way to choose playoff teams. All I am saying is that you are logically wrong when you say, "Best teams in the country win their conference championship games." If Team A is the best team in the country and Team B is the second best, and they play in their conference championship game, one of the two best teams in the country will have not won its conference championship.

Reaction Score
I am not interested in the arguments about the best way to choose playoff teams. All I am saying is that you are logically wrong when you say, "Best teams in the country win their conference championship games." If Team A is the best team in the country and Team B is the second best, and they play in their conference championship game, one of the two best teams in the country will have not won its conference championship.
You also can't determine which teams are the best in the current system because human polls artificially inflate schools to make other schools SOS look better. Alabama has looked pedestrian at best this year, but they're ranked high because Ole Miss, Miss St, Florida were all pushed higher up in the human polls to make their schedules look better. So logic would say there is 0 ways to determine the best teams in the country without a playoff that consists of conference champs and at large bids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom