good calhoun article--Brian Koonz: The most misunderstood man in America | The Boneyard

good calhoun article--Brian Koonz: The most misunderstood man in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Why does the name Brian Koonz ring a bell? Didn't we used to hate him, a million years ago?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why does the name Brian Koonz ring a bell? Didn't we used to hate him, a million years ago?
Yes. Can't recall the specifics. He wrote for the Danbury paper then iirc, and I thought he was like flies on about off court issues involving some players. Khalid, I think, was on his radar, but I have a hazy recollection of him investigating some car ownership and purchase questions for someone, and blowing a lot of smoke without finding a spark. To the extent I paid attention to anything he wrote after that, he basically seemed like a poor-man's Jacobs. And worse in a way because he seemed to want to create the story, not just cover it.

He definitely addresses the situation as one who spent a lot of time on Calhoun's bad side, so I guess we weren't alone in disliking him. Looks like JC was pretty solid to him when it mattered though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
PS: The slideshow on top of the article is worth the click. Great little selection of JC shots from 1986 to present, some I've never seen and others I haven't seen in a long time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

We did - almost certain he wrote an article that tried to make the case that El-Amin was on the take or something to that effect. (nyhuskyfan told a story of him running around the press box at the BET(?) trying to hand out copies of it.)

Back in 1999 or 2000, I remember something happening and getting emails from other beat guys asking me to try to calm the invective being directed towards Koonz - one of the New Haven Register reporters told me to think of the guy's kids. Oy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great story Fishy. I don't remember you telling anyone to chill out, which makes it even funnier.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'll have to ask ny if he remembers what it was all about - he has a better memory than I do.

Things are kinda creeping back - it has something to do with Khalid' relationship with some guy.

I remember thinking it odd that people were asking that the board be polite and respectful to someone who seemed bent on ruining someone else's life.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Khalid left Gampel in an SUV and Koonz jotted down the license plate, which was traced back to a shady guy. For a short while there were real concerns, but nothing came of it.

Reaction Score
Back in 1999 or 2000, I remember something happening and getting emails from other beat guys asking me to try to calm the invective being directed towards Koonz - one of the New Haven Register reporters told me to think of the guy's kids. Oy.

Well, if nyhuskyfan was after him I can understand the concern - that guy is CRAZY. Such an irrational, hair-trigger fellow, you never know what he might do.

Have to second 8893 on clicking through the pics. Love the L-Train one and # 23 has a classic tag: "Jim Calhoun speaks with Ryan Boatright". I miss you already Jim.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
PS: The slideshow on top of the article is worth the click. Great little selection of JC shots from 1986 to present, some I've never seen and others I haven't seen in a long time.

Pic 23 and the caption are hilarious...speaks?

Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun, left, speaks with Ryan Boatright during the second half of Connecticut's 64-57 victory over West Virginia in an NCAA college basketball game in Hartford, Conn., on Monday, Jan. 9, 2012. Photo: Fred Beckham, AP Photo/Fred Beckham / Associated Press

Reaction Score
I'll have to ask ny if he remembers what it was all about - he has a better memory than I do.

Things are kinda creeping back - it has something to do with Khalid' relationship with some guy.

I remember thinking it odd that people were asking that the board be polite and respectful to someone who seemed bent on ruining someone else's life.

And Jake riding around in a vehicle owned by a friend or a local car dealer????.........maybe?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Khalid left Gampel in an SUV and Koonz jotted down the license plate, which was traced back to a shady guy. For a short while there were real concerns, but nothing came of it.
Bingo. That's what I remember. It was Khalid and some questions about the vehicle he was driving, and the guy was investigating it himself, trying to make a story out of smoke. He may have questioned some other vehicles too. Nothing ever came of any of it. Frankly, I thought someone had bumped him off, or at least run him out of town.

Reaction Score
Bingo. That's what I remember. It was Khalid and some questions about the vehicle he was driving, and the guy was investigating it himself, trying to make a story out of smoke. He may have questioned some other vehicles too. Nothing ever came of any of it. Frankly, I thought someone had bumped him off, or at least run him out of town.
If the guy just likes digging dirt why doesn't he head down to Kentucky? He could write a few books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom