Gonzaga to join Pac-12 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga to join Pac-12

Reaction Score
Who cares…. It’s the PAC 2. Org st and wash. St and some mwc teams. It might be called the pac 12…but it’s not
For football, sure. But for hoop this conference is close to or as good as the Pac 12 was in its final years

Reaction Score
Mmm, close, but not quite the point. The success of the big east is pretty much us and Villanova under Jay Wright, which no longer exists. That leaves us.
If you take out the best programs from conferences the conferences won't be as good anymore.

Yes, I agree with that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you take out the best programs from conferences the conferences won't be as good anymore.

Yes, I agree with that.
Me too, except in this case it's not best programs it's best program, us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the big east, but when you use our record to justify it as a conference, it's kind of meaningless.

Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Me too, except in this case it's not best programs it's best program, us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the big east, but when you use our record to justify it as a conference, it's kind of meaningless.

Just my opinion.
Us and Villanova. Yes, UConn is a lot better than everyone else in the country now. If they aren't in the Big East of course it would hurt the Big East. Same as if Carolina and Duke weren't in the ACC. If Kansas wasn't in the Big 12.

CL82

Reaction Score
Us and Villanova. Yes, UConn is a lot better than everyone else in the country now. If they aren't in the Big East of course it would hurt the Big East. Same as if Carolina and Duke weren't in the ACC. If Kansas wasn't in the Big 12.
Nova with Jay Wright, as the head coach doesn't exist anymore.

So pretty much you're saying, the big east is a good conference because we're there. It's true, but not particularly meaningful. It's not a justification for staying in it, because our national championships follow us wherever we go.

Now, if you're about joining different conference like the big 12, any talk about the talent it has is meaningful, because it exists whether we're a member of it or not.

Reaction Score
Nova with Jay Wright, as the head coach doesn't exist anymore.

So pretty much you're saying, the big east is a good conference because we're there. It's true, but not particularly meaningful. It's not a justification for staying in it, because our national championships follow us wherever we go.

Now, if you're about joining different conference like the big 12, any talk about the talent it has is meaningful, because it exists whether we're a member of it or not.
Their program is still there, they're a part of The Big East winning half of the last 8 national championships. Coach K and Roy Williams aren't at Duke and UNC anymore. Yes, Duke and UNC will bring their championships with them if and when they go to another conference. That's how it works, the programs get to keep their championships.

CL82

Reaction Score
Their program is still there, they're a part of The Big East winning half of the last 8 national championships. Coach K and Roy Williams aren't at Duke and UNC anymore. Yes, Duke and UNC will bring their championships with them if and when they go to another conference. That's how it works, the programs get to keep their championships.
Yeah, but you can't justify our being in the big east by our being in the big east.

Sigh... nevermind.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but you can't justify our being in the big east by our being in the big east.

Sigh... nevermind.
We're in the Big East. I'm not justifying anything. The Big East has won 4 of the last 8 national championships. I think the league is doing pretty well. If the Big East loses their best programs the league won't be as good. Everyone would agree with that.

This isn't difficult. Every conference gets worse if they lose their best programs and don't replace them with programs of equal stature.

CL82

Reaction Score
We're in the Big East. I'm not justifying anything. The Big East has won 4 of the last 8 national championships. I think the league is doing pretty well. If the Big East loses their best programs the league won't be as good. Everyone would agree with that.

This isn't difficult. Every conference gets worse if they lose their best programs and don't replace them with programs of equal stature.
Sad Cry GIF by ClickUp

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, if you take the two best programs out of the Big East they wouldn't have won 4 of the last 8 national championships. You take Kansas and Baylor out of the Big 12 and they haven't won a national championship in forever. Big 10 will have a chance to win their first national championship in 25 years this upcoming season.

Typically if you take the best programs out of their conferences they aren't winning national championships. These other conferences are monstrous in size now so maybe they'll start winning some.
Why is it always championships?

My original comment was about getting fewer bids than the Mountain West. About Georgetown being a dud. Villanova being a dud. I expect DePaul to be bad, but it’s a once proud program that is somehow worse than Loyola Chicago every year.

Do better. We don’t need a team in Spokane. We need the supposedly big name programs in rich recruiting areas to step up. Right now the league is carried by UConn and three midwestern teams (Marquette, Creighton and Xavier). PC has been fine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The program is still there. It’s right there in the toilet with DePaul. It stinks. it isn’t a positive. UNC and Duke kept winning. UNC played in a title game under Davis. Duke disappointed last year but was still good. The better comparison for Nova is Louisville. They won a title in 2013. They aren’t helping the ACC now.

Reaction Score

My original comment was about getting fewer bids than the Mountain West. About Georgetown being a dud. Villanova being a dud. I expect DePaul to be bad, but it’s a once proud program that is somehow worse than Loyola Chicago every year.

Do better. We don’t need a team in Spokane. We need the supposedly big name programs in rich recruiting areas to step up. Right now the league is carried by UConn and three midwestern teams (Marquette, Creighton and Xavier). PC has been fine.

Spoken like a true Kansas fan.

Your post I responded to said nothing about the Mountain West, Georgetown, Nova, DePaul.

I consider it a good thing that Marquette, Creighton, and Xavier are really good programs. it was a great decision adding them years ago.

Reaction Score
The program is still there. It’s right there in the toilet with DePaul. It stinks. it isn’t a positive. UNC and Duke kept winning. UNC played in a title game under Davis. Duke disappointed last year but was still good. The better comparison for Nova is Louisville. They won a title in 2013. They aren’t helping the ACC now.
We're all aware Nova hasn't been good the past couple seasons but they were in the final 4 in 2022 and won two national championships recently. You might think they will forever be in the toilet, I don't believe that. UConn was in the toilet after they won the national championship in 2014. You might have thought they would forever be in the toilet, I never believed that. Great programs are a lot more than a short dry spell.

As for Hubert making the title game. He made it with Roy Williams players, Mike Davis made the title game with Bobby Knight's players, Kevin Ollie won it all with Jim Calhoun's players.

Credit to them all but let's wait longer to see how great he is at the helm at UNC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom