Gonzaga to join Pac-12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga to join Pac-12

Reaction Score
Once PAC gets full member # 8, UConn Football-only helps them get 8 conference football games which is ideal. But, I don't think that's happening. (Note, Hawaii is football-only member of MW, not PAC 12).
Right, my bad on Hawaii. Still, do not see it making sense. If anything, maybe just have a scheduling agreement with us in the meantime? Some of those games at the Rent would be great.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reminder. They still need an 8th school in all sports.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga announced Tuesday it is leaving the WCC and will become a member of the new-look Pac-12 starting in 2026. The Zags, who have been one of the most successful men's basketball programs in recent years, do not have a football program, but will give the Pac-12 eight members in basketball.

Who cares…. It’s the PAC 2. Org st and wash. St and some mwc teams. It might be called the pac 12…but it’s not

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Right, my bad on Hawaii. Still, do not see it making sense. If anything, maybe just have a scheduling agreement with us in the meantime? Some of those games at the Rent would be great.
Definitely not happening per story that dropped in the courant. We turned them down

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And those reasons would be money, dollars, and cash.

Otherwise, the move wouldn't happen.
Conference championships, and ease of scheduling would be two other reasons, but yeah, it's mostly about the money.

CL82

Reaction Score
Who cares…. It’s the PAC 2. Org st and wash. St and some mwc teams. It might be called the pac 12…but it’s not
We are in a conference right now that we generally considered was not the "big east" until we joined it, then it was.

Reaction Score
Have very little idea why they’d consider UConn given only FB, and so far out of footprint. Only reason I can think of is some promise that if we do not land in a P4 by x date, we join across sports. And no way we want to do that with this conference.
The reason why they didn’t get the rest of the MWC schools they wanted is because those schools are too poor to pay the exit fees. If not Hawaii, they have to look to upgrade a FCS school or go outside of their footprint.

Reaction Score
We are in a conference right now that we generally considered was not the "big east" until we joined it, then it was.
That's a weird thing I've only seen on this board, pretending it's not the Big East or it's the Newbie or whatever silly name a couple other posters came up with.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's a weird thing I've only seen on this board, pretending it's not the Big East or it's the Newbie or whatever silly name a couple other posters came up with.
There was no pretending about it. It was a new conference which started in 2013. Pretending that it was the same conference that we were a founding member of made little sense while we were in the American. Of course, now, it's a convenient fiction.

Reaction Score
There was no pretending about it. It was a new conference which started in 2013. Pretending that it was the same conference that we were a founding member of made little sense while we were in the American. Of course, now, it's a convenient fiction.
Because they waited a couple of months to buy the name, remain at MSG forever, and retain all the records?

The Big East has been around since 1979, they were still the Big East without us, they still won national championships without us, and they were still a power conference in basketball without us.

CL82

Reaction Score
Because they waited a couple of months to buy the name, remain at MSG forever, and retain all the records?

The Big East has been around since 1979, they were still the Big East without us, they still won national championships without us, and they were still a power conference in basketball without us.
I don't want to get in a pissing contest over this, it's just not worth my time or effort. But clearly it is a new and distinct entity that was formed in 2013, no amount of revisionist history changes that fact.

The big east was formed in 1979. In 2013 seven basketball only colleges broke off informed a new conference. They purchased the name of the conference from the big east. If they were the big east, there would be no reason for them to do that right?

That said, feel free to have the last word on this issue. It's just not worth the effort.

Reaction Score
All true. I only posted this because there was talk of the Big East trying to get Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
I don't want to get in a pissing contest over this, it's just not worth my time or effort. But clearly it is a new and distinct entity that was formed in 2013, no amount of revisionist history changes that fact.

The big east was formed in 1979. In 2013 seven basketball only colleges broke off informed a new conference. They purchased the name of the conference from the big east. If they were the big east, there would be no reason for them to do that right?

That said, feel free to have the last word on this issue. It's just not worth the effort.
Lolz, you answered my question.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All true. I only posted this because there was talk of the Big East trying to get Gonzaga.
Never made any sense. Nor did the Big XII adding them. Big East has enough members, need the schools in it to do better.

Reaction Score
Never made any sense. Nor did the Big XII adding them. Big East has enough members, need the schools in it to do better.
Big East has won 4 of the last 8 national championships. They do pretty well.

CL82

Reaction Score
Big East has won 4 of the last 8 national championships. They do pretty well.
And five of the last 10. Of course, three of the five were us and two of the five were nova before Wright retired. So, right now, it's pretty much us.

Reaction Score
Semantics aside, the big east never had 2 teams

Reaction Score
And five of the last 10. Of course, three of the five were us and two of the five were nova before Wright retired. So, right now, it's pretty much us.
Yes, if you take the two best programs out of the Big East they wouldn't have won 4 of the last 8 national championships. You take Kansas and Baylor out of the Big 12 and they haven't won a national championship in forever. Big 10 will have a chance to win their first national championship in 25 years this upcoming season.

Typically if you take the best programs out of their conferences they aren't winning national championships. These other conferences are monstrous in size now so maybe they'll start winning some.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Sydney 1.jpg

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, if you take the two best programs out of the Big East they wouldn't have won 4 of the last 8 national championships. You take Kansas and Baylor out of the Big 12 and they haven't won a national championship in forever. Big 10 will have a chance to win their first national championship in 25 years this upcoming season.

Typically if you take the best programs out of their conferences they aren't winning national championships. These other conferences are monstrous in size now so maybe they'll start winning some.
Mmm, close, but not quite the point. The success of the big east is pretty much us and Villanova under Jay Wright, which no longer exists. That leaves us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom