Gonzaga/Creighton | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga/Creighton

Reaction Score
this one is over. Gonzaga is the first, well maybe the 2nd team (Georgetown), to exploit Bishop's lack of size in the paint. Plus, if Creighton isn't shooting well, they will almost always lose. They aren't going to play shut down defense, although it's above average, control the boards, force turnovers, or beat you in other ways (think Houston).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jesus. Gonzaga's gonna be in the conversation of greatest teams in the 64-team era if they play like this for another week.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Gonzaga is in the NBA
The rest of the field is college

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Baylor is the only team with a chance to beat Gonzaga. I figured they’d fold after facing the Pepperdine’s of the world for months, but nope. They are legit. I can’t believe how good they are.

Reaction Score
Does our big east fellow have a shot at the upset verse the undefeated Gonzaga?

I think this Creighton team plays better defense than people think- my major concern is Creighton’s depth- really only play 6 impact players. With that said, I do believe Gonzaga is beatable- although their guards are tough & grind- their bigs look soft- I actually think they should be playing the big Watson more- he brings toughness & a physicality that the other bigs don’t.

I saw way too many straight line penetrations to the basket by a short handed Oklahoma team last week that gives me concern about Gonzaga.
I think this game might be closer than what the public thinks- especially if Creighton can stay out of foul trouble.
I really hope Gonzaga wins it all.

Reaction Score
Baylor is the only team with a chance to beat Gonzaga. I figured they’d fold after facing the Pepperdine’s of the world for months, but nope. They are legit. I can’t believe how good they are.
Oregon and USC have looked terrific in this tournament too.

I wouldn’t hand them them the title based on blowing out creighton who is charmin soft.

Reaction Score
I really hope Gonzaga wins it all.
Gonzaga is the best team in the field, no doubt about it. USC/Oregon could pose some problems with their athleticism and defense, especially USC, but I expect the Zags to be in the FF.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Zags are too good to root for this year. Let’s go anyone else.

Reaction Score
Wow.
Just wow.
I hope Hurely is watching (like he said he was). Because Gonzaga is REALLY demonstrating the mountain UConn still needs to climb to get back to being one of the best. This is a team that beat UConn three times and Gonzaga is absolutely destroying them right now. If UConn wants to get back to being the best, they can take some very good notes of this game, mostly on Gonzaga, and watch Baylor play tomorrow too.
It got up to 27 but I suppose Creighton could get it down to 15 in garbage time, halfway there.

Reaction Score
This post aged poorly.
Did you watch the game? Creighton missed bunny after bunny after bunny. I would estimate they missed 10 point blank layups. This would be a single digit game right now if Creighton converted even half of those.

Reaction Score
Wow.
Just wow.
I hope Hurely is watching (like he said he was). Because Gonzaga is REALLY demonstarting the mountain UConn still needs to climb to get back to being one of the best. This is a team that beat UConn three times and Gonzaga is absolutely destroying them right now. If UConn wants to get back to being the best, they can take some very good notes of this game, mostly on Gonzaga and watch Baylor play tomorrow too.
Pretty much every coach in the country should watch this offense to learn. Not just DH

Reaction Score
Jesus. Gonzaga's gonna be in the conversation of greatest teams in the 64-team era if they play like this for another week.
No question. When I think of top teams in the 64-team era with pristine banner seasons with no bad losses (to inferior out of conference mid majors etc) or close victories in the first 2 rounds of the Big Dance against vastly interior opposition, numerous double digit victories, dominant wins in the tourney, and even conference tournament championships or regular season championship, off the top of my head I think of
UNLV 1990
Duke 1992
Arkansas 1994
Kentucky 1996
UConn 1999
Mich St 2000 (although they had a bad loss to Wright St in season)
UConn 2004
Florida 2007
North Carolina 2009
Kentucky 2012
Villanova 2016 and 2018

I think Gonzaga 2021 will join this list

Reaction Score
Does our big east fellow have a shot at the upset verse the undefeated Gonzaga?

I think this Creighton team plays better defense than people think- my major concern is Creighton’s depth- really only play 6 impact players. With that said, I do believe Gonzaga is beatable- although their guards are tough & grind- their bigs look soft- I actually think they should be playing the big Watson more- he brings toughness & a physicality that the other bigs don’t.

I saw way too many straight line penetrations to the basket by a short handed Oklahoma team last week that gives me concern about Gonzaga.
I think this game might be closer than what the public thinks- especially if Creighton can stay out of foul trouble.
You really nailed it, this was a tight one.

Reaction Score
No question. When I think of top teams in the 64-team era with pristine banner seasons with no bad losses (to inferior out of conference mid majors etc) or close victories in the first 2 rounds of the Big Dance , numerous double digit victories, and dominant wins in the tourney, off the top of my head I think of
UNLV 1990
Duke 1992
Arkansas 1994
Kentucky 1996
UConn 1999
UConn 2004
Florida 2007
North Carolina 2009
Kentucky 2012
Villanova 2016 and 2018

That 2015 Kentucky team that lost in the final 4 that was undefeated was legit. Prob Squid’s best team ever.

Reaction Score
Wow.
Just wow.
I hope Hurely is watching (like he said he was). Because Gonzaga is REALLY demonstrating the mountain UConn still needs to climb to get back to being one of the best. This is a team that beat UConn three times and Gonzaga is absolutely destroying them right now. If UConn wants to get back to being the best, they can take some very good notes of this game, mostly on Gonzaga, and watch Baylor play tomorrow too.
It got up to 27 but I suppose Creighton could get it down to 15 in garbage time, halfway there.
Would help to get mobile, scoring bigs who can run the floor, pass, put it on the floor and finish. Smooth shooting guards too who can score off the dribble.

Few did not get to this point in year one, two, or three, but now he is there.

Continued good recruiting, better offensive sets, and better players will do it. Mountain climbing is good exercise. Not done in one day.

Reaction Score
No question. When I think of top teams in the 64-team era with pristine banner seasons with no bad losses (to inferior out of conference mid majors etc) or close victories in the first 2 rounds of the Big Dance against vastly interior opposition, numerous double digit victories, dominant wins in the tourney, and even conference tournament championships or regular season championship, off the top of my head I think of
UNLV 1990
Duke 1992
Arkansas 1994
Kentucky 1996
UConn 1999
UConn 2004
Florida 2007
North Carolina 2009
Kentucky 2012
Villanova 2016 and 2018

We lost 6 games in 2004, and there are a few other generous inclusions, but otherwise this list is pretty good.

Gonzaga would be in the top 5 if they run the table.

Reaction Score
That 2015 Kentucky team that lost in the final 4 that was undefeated was legit. Prob Squid’s best team ever.
yeah that's team was really good, but no hardware to show for it. I guess I really place a premium on winning the championship.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Gonzaga is the highest rated KenPom team in his entire dataset (back to 2002). The second closest is 2008 Kansas which is full 2 points in adjusted efficiency behind Gonzaga.

for reference, the second best team this year...Baylor... is SEVEN points below Gonzaga in adjusted efficiency.

It's been their tournament to lose since the start of the season pretty much

Reaction Score
Did you watch the game? Creighton missed bunny after bunny after bunny. I would estimate they missed 10 point blank layups. This would be a single digit game right now if Creighton converted even half of those.
Funny all the post game talk was how good defense was by folks that know basketball. Not sure what game you watched

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom