Gonzaga/Creighton | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga/Creighton

Reaction Score
We lost 6 games in 2004, and there are a few other generous inclusions, but otherwise this list is pretty good.

Gonzaga would be in the top 5 if they run the table.
Yeah in 2004 they lost 6 games, but I also think that had to do with OK4s back issues and Gordon's broken nose making him tentative. Without those health issues I think they probably lose 2-4 games. I just like the dominance they played with when they were healthy. I mean, shoot, they were up by 25 at one point the championship game against a really good GTech team (and look at the Elite 8 against Alabama). Also, they handled Vanderbilt in the Sweet 16 who played that 5-out style that UConn had trouble with this year (Gonzaga in 1999 did, too).

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is the highest rated KenPom team in his entire dataset (back to 2002). The second closest is 2008 Kansas which is full 2 points in adjusted efficiency behind Gonzaga.

for reference, the second best team this year...Baylor... is SEVEN points below Gonzaga in adjusted efficiency.

It's been their tournament to lose since the start of the season pretty much
How much of that is based on whooping on the Pepperdine’s and Loyola Marymount's of the world? The WCC is a terrible conference. Gonzaga is a great team no doubt but to call them the best team of the past 20 years is a bit much. How many legit pros are on this team? Suggs? Timmie maybe. Who else?

Reaction Score
Pretty much every coach in the country should watch this offense to learn. Not just DH

They run the same weave that Hurley runs when they're getting into their sets that all the coaches on here go nuts about.

Is the lesson for other coaches "have 4 NBA players including two lottery picks in your rotation"?

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is the highest rated KenPom team in his entire dataset (back to 2002). The second closest is 2008 Kansas which is full 2 points in adjusted efficiency behind Gonzaga.

for reference, the second best team this year...Baylor... is SEVEN points below Gonzaga in adjusted efficiency.

Good to see you back, Kobe. Just for curiosity and kicks, I would like to know, are you going to be rooting at full blast for Alabama vs UCLA? Ya know, cause Cronin is coaching UCLA.

Reaction Score
How much of that is based on whooping on the Pepperdine’s and Loyola Marymount's of the world? The WCC is a terrible conference. Gonzaga is a great team no doubt but to call them the best team of the past 20 years is a bit much. How many legit pros are on this team? Suggs? Who else?

You're a bad take machine out of the gate. Suggs is the only pro they have on their roster?

Reaction Score
How much of that is based on whooping on the Pepperdine’s and Loyola Marymount's of the world? The WCC is a terrible conference. Gonzaga is a great team no doubt but to call them the best team of the past 20 years is a bit much. How many legit pros are on this team? Suggs? Who else?
Kispert is projected to be in the lottery and Drew Timme is projected to be in the 2nd round. All of this is according to NBADraft.net.. There might be more legitimate projections sites and even a composite site.

As for Gonzaga being in the WCC, sure, if they were in the Pac 12, Big Ten, or even the Old Big East conference or some of the old ACC conferences in years past, they wouldn't be undefeated, but they definitely would be in the top 2-3 of the conference standings if not #1. This Zags team is really good. To beat them you have to play hard-nosed grind it out pace game-that's just not what Creighton does they prefer to play fast. Teams from years past might be able to beat them in a fast paced run and gun type game, but I don't think anyone in 2021 can.

Reaction Score

It's amazing anyone is still sleeping on them, it was their tournament to lose since day 1 of the season and they've shown it every step of the way. They have three of the top 10 players in the country and everyone plays their roles unselfishly. They shoot 55% from the field as a team, it's just unheard of.

Reaction Score
You're a bad take machine out of the gate. Suggs is the only pro they have on their roster?
Nope I don’t see Kispert or Timmie being impact players in the NBA. Lots of guys get drafted. Let’s see if they stick around 3+ years.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga really exploited the weaknesses of Bishop in this game and didn't allow him to play to his strengths at all-he was a complete non factor.

Reaction Score
Nope I don’t see Kispert or Timmie being impact players in the NBA. Lots of guys get drafted. Let’s see if they stick around 3+ years.
They might not be, you might be right, time will tell. But just getting drafted to the NBA speaks of a good level of talent and Gonzaga has it in spades.

Reaction Score
It's amazing anyone is still sleeping on them, it was their tournament to lose since day 1 of the season and they've shown it every step of the way. They have three of the top 10 players in the country and everyone plays their roles unselfishly. They shoot 55% from the field as a team, it's just unheard of.
Yes, its been well known by most since December at least:

Reaction Score
Kispert is projected to be in the lottery and Drew Timme is projected to be in the 2nd round. All of this is according to NBADraft.net.. There might be more legitimate projections sites and even a composite site.

As for Gonzaga being in the WCC, sure, if they were in the Pac 12, Big Ten, or even the Old Big East conference or some of the old ACC conferences in years past, they wouldn't be undefeated, but they definitely would be in the top 2-3 of the conference standings if not #1. This Zags team is really good. To beat them you have to play hard-nosed grind it out pace game-that's just not what Creighton does they prefer to play fast.
They might not be, you might be right, time will tell. But just getting drafted to the NBA speaks of a good level of talent and Gonzaga has it in spades.
They’re clearly good players and Gonzaga has a great team no doubt but my original point was countering that they’re the best team of the past 20 years based on kenpom metrics. And I stand by what I said... I think Suggs is their only legit pro. He’s going to be a stud in the nba but I don’t think any of the other guys will do much. Kispert is backup 3 and D guy and Timmie will have a tough time sticking around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Suggs, Kispert, Timme, Ayayi will all play in the NBA. And if the African kid Ballo develops at even close the rate that they expect him to he will too. I don't even particularly like Gonzaga but they have a hell of a lot of talent. It's amazing how easy it is for all five kids to play on offense when every single one of them is a threat to score.

Reaction Score
They’re clearly good players and Gonzaga has a great team no doubt but my original point was countering that they’re the best team of the past 20 years based on kenpom metrics. And I stand by what I said... I think Suggs is their only legit pro. He’s going to be a stud in the nba but I don’t think any of the other guys will do much. Kispert is backup 3 and D guy and Timmie will have a tough time sticking around.
Someone else made the point about them being the best team in the last 20 years based on KenPom. I wouldn't go as far to say they are the best team in the last 20 years, but if I am a Zags fan, it's championship or bust.

Reaction Score
Someone else made the point about them being the best team in the last 20 years based on KenPom. I wouldn't go as far to say they are the best team in the last 20 years, but if I am a Zags fan, it's championship or bust.
I still think Baylor takes them in the end but we’ll see.

Reaction Score
The key is they are NBA quality players even if not impact players. At the college level, that translates into a team superior to their opponents.

Reaction Score
You know...KenPom can only do so much...it can't predict Illinois or Colorado will go deep.

But...only one of the teams that will be in in the Elite Eight is not on today's Top 20 on KenPm...Oregon State.

Reaction Score
The key is they are NBA quality players even if not impact players. At the college level, that translates into a team superior to their opponents.
When I said that it was in the context of Gonzaga being the best team of the past 20 years based on kenpom metrics. (A previous post in the chain). When you compare to say 2015 Kentucky with Devin Booker, Townes, Cauley Stein etc.... I just don’t see the same talent level for them to be considered the best team ever.

Reaction Score
Well luckily you don't need good NBA players to win in college basketball, you need good college basketball players

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is the best team in the field, no doubt about it. USC/Oregon could pose some problems with their athleticism and defense, especially USC, but I expect the Zags to be in the FF.
I think USC would be the tougher matchup for the Zags (completely close off the paint, force them to be a jump shooting team and not on wide open kick outs), but I have a suspicion they may lose to Oregon.

Although Oregon is a budget version of Gonzaga, so maybe I'm talking myself into circles.

Reaction Score
You really nailed it, this was a tight one.
Coming back for more? Be careful brother- lol- open a thread to discuss the game- unfortunately I picked a blowout- sorry!

Reaction Score
Silly if anyone doesn’t think they are the favorite- to be honest unless they lose to Baylor it would be a huge disappointment- doesn’t mean you can’t root against them!

Reaction Score
Creighton needed to make shots. They had the looks. Hit a wall early that 2nd half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom