Gonzaga/Big East embers | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga/Big East embers

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
kinda odd to hear some 'end of the acc' stuff here.
one of the most explosive growth regions in the nation, for both population and income, with widely followed tho not to successful football acts, and they're somehow gonna go poof?
sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up on that here.

Reaction Score
If something disastrous happens to the ACC, Pitt has like two options…independence or the Big 12.

Also…do not underestimate the ACC core’s desire to stay together. Florida State and Clemson would go to the SEC, but the SEC is never making that call. Outside of that, it will be tough to get any of them out of there.

The TV contract is an issue, but I see ESPN eventually buckling there.

i think the BIG will find another crack in the wall.. similar to Maryland. The Acc will never make SEC or BIG money... if they cant find the crack.. start talking to little brother NC state or VA Tech. NO way NC or VA are going to let little brother make 10-20 million more then they do a year in a better conference. If the BIG has the will to do it they will find a way to get them... FL. st and Clemson should start talking now and hope SEC gets wind... maybe they get lucky and the SEC keeps them out of those areas by grabbing those schools just to spite the BIG.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
i think the BIG will find another crack in the wall.. similar to Maryland. The Acc will never make SEC or BIG money... if they cant find the crack.. start talking to little brother NC state or VA Tech. NO way NC or VA are going to let little brother make 10-20 million more then they do a year in a better conference. If the BIG has the will to do it they will find a way to get them... FL. st and Clemson should start talking now and hope SEC gets wind... maybe they get lucky and the SEC keeps them out of those areas by grabbing those schools just to spite the BIG.

”Something” will happen.

When the dollar disparity is $50-70M a year, something has to give somewhere.

It could be something crazy like UCLA/USC to the Big Ten or UVA/UNC to the Big Ten…something will definitely happen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
one of the most explosive growth regions in the nation, for both population and income, with widely followed tho not to successful football acts, and they're somehow gonna go poof?

The ACC is a second sister or largely irrelevant in almost every market they‘re in.

There’s a reason they’re on a path to earn about 1/2 what the SEC/Big Ten will.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Maybe they would like to recruit all over the country and this gives them maximum exposure to a lot of territory.
We just ended long range travel in the AAC; who needs this?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
”Something” will happen.

When the dollar disparity is $50-70M a year, something has to give somewhere.

It could be something crazy like UCLA/USC to the Big Ten or UVA/UNC to the Big Ten…something will definitely happen.
Have my money on UNC/UVA to the B1G.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Having a team in Washington join the big east is immoral.

The latest IPCC report states that humans must take action now to minimize greenhouse gases if we want future generations to thrive or perhaps even survive. Last week, both poles were about 40C above normal.

Having a team in the state of Washington join the big east will significantly increase the carbon footprint of all the teams in the big east, and that, my fellow big east fans, is immoral. It's steal life from future generations.
1649452231621.png

Reaction Score
Gonzaga podcast with a Bulldogs insider (BE talk begins at about the 47 minute mark):

Some (paraphrased) tidbits:

- Several sources in the WCC and BE have said that the BE is actively courting Gonzaga, but a move/announcement is not imminent. It would happen for the 23-24 season at the earliest, but more likely the following few years (when the TV contract is up).

- TV talks are ongoing not only with FOX but also with CBS/ESPN/other streaming services. There's a real chance that FOX doesn't win the bid.

- Western BE schools are more into Gonzaga joining than the Eastern BE schools. Providence is VERY against. Nova and Georgetown not really into it either. But TV $ talks, and they'll go along with it if the price is right.

- A big hurdle is (obviously) ironing out the non-basketball sports.

- Those in the know (ie boosters) have basically been told to stay quiet as loose lips could sink this ship, and Goodman doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

Reaction Score
I would guess an issue with Gonzaga is what are they after Mark Few? He may coach another decade or maybe not...will be 60 in December.

I think it would be great if ZAGS joined BE but long term I can see trepidation...not like ZAGS have a bunch of hardware or history but can always dump them after Few.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How about if Gonzaga opens a campus in Des Moines, in the same way that a number of major universities have sattelites in Dubai, China, and other world locations. There's no major Catholic university in Iowa, Jesuit or otherwise, and it would fit geographically between Creighton and the other Midwestern schools, creating two 6-team divisions. Simply locate the basketball team there during the season.

Fans? Des Moines and Spokane are pretty similar in both city & metro population, and Wikipedia claims that Des Monies has a nickname as the "Hartford of the Midwest." Maybe the Zags can split their home games between Spokane and Iowa's state capital.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I’m not saying this won’t happen but I’m pretty surprised that their TV “value“ would be enough to add $60-$70M annually to the BETV Deal (podcast references BE wanting $5-$6M annually in their next deal which at 12 members with the Zags would be $72M to break even as the 12th team).

Did the BE TV deal change when UConn joined? It basically just moved to allow everyone to remain whole correct?

Reaction Score
I've been preaching about Gonzaga to the Big East for a while before it was popular. The Zags are the only team you add to the Big East outside of the power conferences that adds value.

If a second team needed to be added to appease FOX and give the Zags a travel partner: San Diego State would a great school that has very good basketball tradition, and doesn't hurt the conference.

#ZagsToBigEast
San Diego state is too far an outlier to pair with Gonzaga. Byu would have been perfect but they are going to the big 12.

Not sure what other schools make sense. You would have to add 3 so I guess Boise and witchita would be the only ones that make sense to fill out a west conference. Somewhat dilutes the big east but gives you coast to coast coverage and big names schools from east coast to west coast. Could see it working but skeptical

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think this is going to happen. It probably won’t happen until 2023 though.

Reaction Score
San Diego state is too far an outlier to pair with Gonzaga. Byu would have been perfect but they are going to the big 12.

Not sure what other schools make sense. You would have to add 3 so I guess Boise and witchita would be the only ones that make sense to fill out a west conference. Somewhat dilutes the big east but gives you coast to coast coverage and big names schools from east coast to west coast. Could see it working but skeptical
Yea but San Diego State is a good brand, it’s out west so it’s close enough to Gonzaga, and more importantly in California, a valuable marketing, tv, population, and recruiting area.

I like the Aztecs to pair with Gonzaga since BYU is no longer an option. Boise state is a good brand but the strength of their football brand would make them hesitant as they could be an option for the Big 12 or PAC 12 down the line.

Out East, the third team that makes the most sense is Memphis. Strong brand and good basketball tradition.

Fox would definitely support Memphis. It would be a solid addition. Missing out on the Big 12 train makes them desperate to leave the AAC. They would have to go independent in football and would at this point.

Reaction Score
Alright, I just saw article mirroring this thread that there are talks Gonzaga basketball might be headed to the Big East.

Huh....? Why would they want to do that. They are a constant 1 seed every year and dominate that WCC and that conference does have 2 or 3 (maybe) other relatively decent teams.

If Gonzaga really wants to upgrade the competitiveness of their conference battles, than why not just join the PAC-12? They would at least get to play UCLA, Arizona, and plenty of other tougher teams that are closer to home rather than playing tougher teams way our here in the east.

Reaction Score
Alright, I just saw article mirroring this thread that there are talks Gonzaga basketball might be headed to the Big East.

Huh....? Why would they want to do that. They are a constant 1 seed every year and dominate that WCC and that conference does have 2 or 3 (maybe) other relatively decent teams.

If Gonzaga really wants to upgrade the competitiveness of their conference battles, than why not just join the PAC-12? They would at least get to play UCLA, Arizona, and plenty of other tougher teams that are closer to home rather than playing tougher teams way our here in the east.
Pac 12 is a football conference, Big East is not

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yea but San Diego State is a good brand, it’s out west so it’s close enough to Gonzaga, and more importantly in California, a valuable marketing, tv, population, and recruiting area.

I like the Aztecs to pair with Gonzaga since BYU is no longer an option. Boise state is a good brand but the strength of their football brand would make them hesitant as they could be an option for the Big 12 or PAC 12 down the line.

Out East, the third team that makes the most sense is Memphis. Strong brand and good basketball tradition.

Fox would definitely support Memphis. It would be a solid addition. Missing out on the Big 12 train makes them desperate to leave the AAC. They would have to go independent in football and would at this point.
What does SD St do with their football program if they join the BE?

That school may actually value football over basketball.

Reaction Score
Jeezus, not this again. This same old wishful thought gets dredged up every single year, and nothing ever happens.
The Big 12 just lost 2 of it's major members to the SEC, yet here on the good old Boneyard it's the ACC that's in trouble? Right.
Why do we always forget the first rule of CR: " Somehow, someway, UConn gets kicked in the gonads".

Reaction Score

I’m actually shocked SDSU hasn’t gained any interest from the Pac-12. They’re good at both basketball and football. If the conference wants to add at least one more member I think SDSU is the top priority

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
acc ain't breaking apart, for just money, anytime soon.
start out in Charlottsville, Virginia, and head down one road, i 85, for aboot 500 miles to Atlanta, Georgia. at both ends, and all along the way, there are 8 acc schools on that culturally historic byway, steeped in their ways and values, and nobody is tossing that out to fold into a big 10, or whatever. not for just money. too weird, no way. it would be like putting headphones on a fish.
the funny thing is that if the acc and sec threw in together, well, heck just stamp it the southern conference, and call it a day. back to the future.

travel tip: make the car trip thru that region. a really nice place, and absolutely no accident that all those schools are there. great eats, too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Marist and San Diego are both in the same football conference.

What does that have to do with your post?

Nothing, but I like to mention it whenever I think I can squeeze it in.

Reaction Score
What does SD St do with their football program if they join the BE?

That school may actually value football over basketball.
It used to. It was a big deal mid-60s to early 80s for sure.
San Diego to Spokane is about the same distance as Portland, Maine to Orlando… so not nearby.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom