OT: - Golf club fitting | The Boneyard

OT: Golf club fitting

Reaction Score
I've had my Cobra irons for just about 10 years, and I recently started playing more often so I think it's time to invest in some new clubs. My old set wasn't fitted, and I really have a hard time being consistent with my 4i-6i. Anyone have any experience with fittings at Chris Cote's, Great Brook Sports (their website says they offer club fittings, but it looks like a crappy driving range lol), or Greenwich Golf, etc?

Also, has anyone made the move to single length irons? I can hit my 7,8,9, and wedges well..but the longer shafts with my 4-6 really mess with my swing/stance. I don't care if I lose distance by shortening my long irons, I'd rather just be able to hit them straighter and more consistently.

Reaction Score
Chris Cote, final answer.
Would you recommend the free fitting or the paid one? Their earliest available booking is the last week of June..ugh that means I probably wouldn't even get clubs until late August with the way everything is backed up

Reaction Score
I will always recommend Cote’s.

I think if you can find a vendor that is doing fittings at his range in Portland or Southington sooner that would be best if you can't get in until the end of June. Was he completely booked in Southington too?

So I know those guys very well. If you opt to go for the paid one you will be getting your money's worth and then some. Kyle is a top notch fitter and his knowledge is unparalleled. You will pick up so much info from Kyle along the way that you won't be able to retain it all. Ultimately it depends on how in-depth you want to go with the fitting. You will be hitting a ton of shots with different shafts to really zone in on what fits you best.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the three options.

Reaction Score
There is a Taylor Made fitting event on June 1st in Portland and a Callaway fitting event in Southington on June 11th. Even if you don't want to go with either vendor you should be able to get a general idea on shaft flex, length, and lie. He also has a great demo program so you can take a few irons out to the course and see what you like best.

Reaction Score
I will always recommend Cote’s.

I think if you can find a vendor that is doing fittings at his range in Portland or Southington sooner that would be best if you can't get in until the end of June. Was he completely booked in Southington too?

So I know those guys very well. If you opt to go for the paid one you will be getting your money's worth and then some. Kyle is a top notch fitter and his knowledge is unparalleled. You will pick up so much info from Kyle along the way that you won't be able to retain it all. Ultimately it depends on how in-depth you want to go with the fitting. You will be hitting a ton of shots with different shafts to really zone in on what fits you best.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the three options.
I booked a free one for end of June in Portland. Southington was booked just as far out unfortunately. Do you happen to know if booking the TM or Callaway fitting events are separate than the main fitting booking? I don't really have loyalty to any brand in particular so I would definitely be open to trying out a few options.. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow about their demo program. That might be useful for me to do that before the fitting since I've literally only hit my Cobra's for the last 10 years. I don't even know what any other clubs would feel like lol

Reaction Score
I booked a free one for end of June in Portland. Southington was booked just as far out unfortunately. Do you happen to know if booking the TM or Callaway fitting events are separate than the main fitting booking? I don't really have loyalty to any brand in particular so I would definitely be open to trying out a few options.. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow about their demo program. That might be useful for me to do that before the fitting since I've literally only hit my Cobra's for the last 10 years. I don't even know what any other clubs would feel like lol

Totally different from scheduling a fitting with Cote’s.

I’d call to make sure you don’t need an appointment for the TaylorMade fitting (I don’t think you do).

The biggest thing you’d get from the Taylor fitting is your specs that you’d get from a fitting at Cote’s. Only difference is that you are limited to only hitting Taylor Made irons.

The specs like lie, length, and shaft flex shouldn’t change. Most every equipment manufacturer has same shaft offerings.

Reaction Score
Totally different from scheduling a fitting with Cote’s.

I’d call to make sure you don’t need an appointment for the TaylorMade fitting (I don’t think you do).

The biggest thing you’d get from the Taylor fitting is your specs that you’d get from a fitting at Cote’s. Only difference is that you are limited to only hitting Taylor Made irons.

The specs like lie, length, and shaft flex shouldn’t change. Most every equipment manufacturer has same shaft offerings.
Sweet yeah I’ll give them a call tomorrow to check it out. If I brought those specs to my actual fitting would they just build some clubs for me to try out to see which one feels the best?

Reaction Score
Make sure you try out different shafts. You'll have different flexes, kick point, weights, torques, etc. Keep in mind the launch angle and spin when you try them out.

Keep an eye on the lofts on the irons you are trying out. Note the loft differences between the irons.

This years 7 iron at 28.5 degrees is a bit like the R11 6 iron at 28 degrees. If you try a SIM 7 iron, it will go around the same distance as your 6 iron from 10 years ago. Just keep that in mind when making your purchase. There's a few theories on why they do this but many believe it's to have players keep on buying new sets every few years.

Here's the Taylor Made SIM irons from this year.
1622256652358.png

Here's the R11 from 2011:
1622256706162.png

TaylorMade Golf Specs through the years: Golf Club Specs by Year | TaylorMade Golf

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've had my Cobra irons for just about 10 years, and I recently started playing more often so I think it's time to invest in some new clubs. My old set wasn't fitted, and I really have a hard time being consistent with my 4i-6i. Anyone have any experience with fittings at Chris Cote's, Great Brook Sports (their website says they offer club fittings, but it looks like a crappy driving range lol), or Greenwich Golf, etc?

Also, has anyone made the move to single length irons? I can hit my 7,8,9, and wedges well..but the longer shafts with my 4-6 really mess with my swing/stance. I don't care if I lose distance by shortening my long irons, I'd rather just be able to hit them straighter and more consistently.
You guys are relentless. Please get me out of this

Reaction Score
Make sure you try out different shafts. You'll have different flexes, kick point, weights, torques, etc. Keep in mind the launch angle and spin when you try them out.

Keep an eye on the lofts on the irons you are trying out. Note the loft differences between the irons.

This years 7 iron at 28.5 degrees is a bit like the R11 6 iron at 28 degrees. If you try a SIM 7 iron, it will go around the same distance as your 6 iron from 10 years ago. Just keep that in mind when making your purchase. There's a few theories on why they do this but many believe it's to have players keep on buying new sets every few years.

Here's the Taylor Made SIM irons from this year.
View attachment 67657

Here's the R11 from 2011:
View attachment 67658

TaylorMade Golf Specs through the years: Golf Club Specs by Year | TaylorMade Golf
Ha yea i just looked up my cobra’s and my 6 iron matches up with the new TM 7 iron. Is that so they can claim you’ll get “more distance” just because they decreased the loft..? Swinging new clubs will probably feel pretty foreign at this point

Reaction Score
What’s the cost for a fitting at Cote’s roughly? Been wondering if getting fitted was worth it but haven’t looked much into it

Reaction Score
What’s the cost for a fitting at Cote’s roughly? Been wondering if getting fitted was worth it but haven’t looked much into it
There’s a free fitting and a $75 one. The free one costs $100 though if you want the fitting specs and don’t purchase anything.

Reaction Score
Got it so the fitting isn’t that costly but you’re likely buying a new set along with it

Reaction Score
Is that so they can claim you’ll get “more distance” just because they decreased the loft..?
Yup. A similar thing happens with new drivers. They increase the length of the shaft to get more distance. I read somewhere that the average pro shaft length was shorter than the average retail shaft length they put on the drivers.

Reaction Score
Yup. A similar thing happens with new drivers. They increase the length of the shaft to get more distance. I read somewhere that the average pro shaft length was shorter than the average retail shaft length they put on the drivers.
And they're impossible to use. I have 2 drivers, one is massive and I literally cannot even swing the thing properly. My other one is wayyy shorter and I can actually hit it well. I'll take a 10% reduction in potential max distance if it means I can hit fairways instead of sending my ball 50 yards into the schitt lol

Reaction Score
Great people. Chris is a customer of mine and they always treat me well when I shop there, I went for a fitting in February but they told me to wait until April when all the new irons were out, They were more concerned with me having options and having a lesson or two to fix my swing first than they were about trying to make a sale. Steve is also great with club repairs, regripping etc. All around, they’re a pleasure to work with.

Reaction Score
Great people. Chris is a customer of mine and they always treat me well when I shop there, I went for a fitting in February but they told me to wait until April when all the new irons were out, They were more concerned with me having options and having a lesson or two to fix my swing first than they were about trying to make a sale. Steve is also great with club repairs, regripping etc. All around, they’re a pleasure to work with.
I should probably get a couple lessons before my fitting too if I want to get the most out of it. Do you know if they would have last years models available for fitting? I don't think I need the newest irons if it means spending $500 more.

Reaction Score
I should probably get a couple lessons before my fitting too if I want to get the most out of it. Do you know if they would have last years models available for fitting? I don't think I need the newest irons if it means spending $500 more.
That’s a great question. Cote’s started as and specializes in pre owned clubs. While you may need to go with a slightly used set, I’m sure they could modify the shafts etc for you, I know friends who got fitted and benefited greatly from adjustments made to club lengths. I may head to Cote’s later, I’ll ask them.

Reaction Score
And they're impossible to use. I have 2 drivers, one is massive and I literally cannot even swing the thing properly. My other one is wayyy shorter and I can actually hit it well. I'll take a 10% reduction in potential max distance if it means I can hit fairways instead of sending my ball 50 yards into the schitt lol

You may want to consider cutting the shaft down on the longer driver. It will change the swing weight though. I did that with my 915 D2 and actually gained distance. I counteracted it with using a lighter grip.

Reaction Score
You may want to consider cutting the shaft down on the longer driver. It will change the swing weight though. I did that with my 915 D2 and actually gained distance. I counteracted it with using a lighter grip.
Yeah that's a good idea. I'm gonna bring it with me to my fitting so I'm sure they'll be able to figure something out. I need to get it regripped anyways

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tried to get a fitting years ago and they said my swing was so inconsistent it wasn’t worth it. I’m sure it still is. I ended up with R7 irons in 2008 and they are fine, except they have steel shafts. Have any of you older guys found a significant difference in impact on your back or strain overall from graphite vs steel? That’s the only reason I’d upgrade.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom