Golden Eaglet ThoughtZ™ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Golden Eaglet ThoughtZ™

Reaction Score
Nice analysis. In point 11, unfortunately you're describing a generic freshman big. I think Sanogo is going to be better as an upperclassman than Josh, but he's just not better now. Too big a defensive liability.
I think Sanogo actually played pretty good defense in the first part of the first half. Better than he had ever done before. I'd have to watch the game again to see what he didn't do later in the game but he only played 14 minutes so I don't know where his defense turned bad after those good first few minutes.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think Sanogo actually played pretty good defense in the first part of the first half. Better than he had ever done before. I'd have to watch the game again to see what he didn't do later in the game but he only played 14 minutes so I don't know where his defense turned bad after those good first few minutes.
Hedging.

hurleys D is all about ball pressure hedging the top. Josh ( now that he is lighter! ) is way better at it now. Isiah obviously is an A+ defender on that. That’s why he is vital. And excuse the hyperbole but he would be a well above average PnR defender in the league too.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If I’m remembering correctly there are a couple key differences. I want to say on Hibbard’s the shot clock was about to expire and he threw a total molecule up there that banked in after a very good defensive possession. Whaley’s came in the flow of the offense and was a good looking shot.
I remember Hibbards as being from just left of the top of the key, and he missed the chance to hit the cutter and since no one came out to cover him, he put up a shot. It was late in the clock, but not panic late. My memory sees a virtual pic of it grazing the front rim on the way through, but I wouldn't trust my memory to details like that any more.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I isolated this play because I couldn't believe that there was no travel called. Was surprised that he really didn't travel until the last step before he went up with it. He covered an awful lot of ground without picking up his pivot foot before he started dribbling, but the travel came after he picked up his dribble.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I isolated this play because I couldn't believe that there was no travel called. Was surprised that he really didn't travel until the last step before he went up with it. He covered an awful lot of ground without picking up his pivot foot before he started dribbling, but the travel came after he picked up his dribble.

Omg that was definitely a travel there at the end. And that was pretty good defense by Sanogo without fouling.

Sanogo has pretty quick feet so he can definitely learn how to hedge. He'll get there.

Reaction Score
Carlton is a below-average post defender. That Sanogo is noticeably worse is a bit disturbing, but I'm willing to be patient.
Not a great defender, and not a shotblocker, but the guy can rebound in traffic. Seems to have a knack for it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sanogo will have a steep learning curve.

Reaction Score
I remember Hibbards as being from just left of the top of the key, and he missed the chance to hit the cutter and since no one came out to cover him, he put up a shot. It was late in the clock, but not panic late. My memory sees a virtual pic of it grazing the front rim on the way through, but I wouldn't trust my memory to details like that any more.
Found the moment and watched it. Not sure if I’m thinking of a different game or player but your memory wins this battle.

Reaction Score
Sanogo will have a steep learning curve.
Actually, if you're saying he will take a long time to learn, he will have a gradual learning curve.
Glasses Lol GIF by StickerGiant

Reaction Score
  1. Marquette's mascot's name is Iggy. Or Icky. Not really sure.
  2. Out rebounded them by 8 on the Dboards, and 6 at the offensive end. We got 60% of the available rebounds. That's stout.
  3. 14 assists on 24 buckets is a substantial improvement. Assisted on 63% of our buckets. We'd been averaging 38%.
  4. I'm pretty sure it's a rule that when you come back from an 18 point 2nd half hole, you're supposed to win by 1 at the end. Maybe 2. Definitely not 11. Never 11. There may be an NCAA fine involved for breaking that rule.
  5. Nobody Husky other than Tyler hit more than one three last night.
  6. If Polley hadn't gone en fuego, We'd be sitting here raving about Whaley's 15 point, 13 board, 3 assist, 2 block and 1 steal in 33 minutes night, With only 2 fouls and 1 TO. I don't think there's any question that this was Zay's best game as a Husky. Previous best was Temple last year (18 & 14 with 2 blocks in 39 minutes, but no dimes, no steals, 4 fouls and 3 TOs).
  7. Speaking of Whaley, ya gotta love his 3! Standing there 3 feet outside the arc, looking to pass and no defender ever made a half-hearted step toward him. No respect at all. So he let it rip. Form looked pretty darned good, and the shot was dead on. Like he does it all the time.
  8. Mark it down. Last night was Bouk's last single digit scoring night as a Husky. His tip-in with 16 minutes left started the comeback, and we took the lead for good with 6 minutes left.
  9. It was a very opportune time for Polley's shot to start falling. Marquette did not have enough bigs to double him on the perimeter AND keep the middle covered.
  10. 12:10 left in 1st half, Gaffney tried a bullet bounce pass on the run, from well outside the arc to a wide open Carlton in the paint. That would be an 80/20 pass to Martin. Might be a 50/50 pass to Whaley or Sanogo. But to Josh? I knew that pass was going over the end line the instant it left Gaffney's hand. That was our 5th turnover. Less than 8 minutes in.
  11. Sanogo started off like gangbusters on offense, but offered virtually no resistance to Garcia and John at the defensive end, and that cost him minutes. Feels disturbingly like a recurring theme.
  12. Will the real Tyrese Martin please stand up? Is he the 9 of 15, 22/10/3 superstar we saw against DePaul, or the 0 of 5, 0/7/0 guy that played last night?
  13. I'm happy with the win. Overjoyed with the comeback. Glad that someone else was able to step up and carry the load when our franchise player was out of sorts. But I can't help but be concerned about the rest of the season. Can't have 15 minutes of gang-who-couldn't-shoot-straight play again and expect to win much.
  14. When was the last game that Whaley led the team in minutes played? I'm going to guess never.
Whalley's ability to stay on the floor and eliminate the stupid fouls in the underrated story behind this game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom