Golden Eaglet ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

Golden Eaglet ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Marquette's mascot's name is Iggy. Or Icky. Not really sure.
  2. Out rebounded them by 8 on the Dboards, and 6 at the offensive end. We got 60% of the available rebounds. That's stout.
  3. 14 assists on 24 buckets is a substantial improvement. Assisted on 63% of our buckets. We'd been averaging 38%.
  4. I'm pretty sure it's a rule that when you come back from an 18 point 2nd half hole, you're supposed to win by 1 at the end. Maybe 2. Definitely not 11. Never 11. There may be an NCAA fine involved for breaking that rule.
  5. Nobody Husky other than Tyler hit more than one three last night.
  6. If Polley hadn't gone en fuego, We'd be sitting here raving about Whaley's 15 point, 13 board, 3 assist, 2 block and 1 steal in 33 minutes night, With only 2 fouls and 1 TO. I don't think there's any question that this was Zay's best game as a Husky. Previous best was Temple last year (18 & 14 with 2 blocks in 39 minutes, but no dimes, no steals, 4 fouls and 3 TOs).
  7. Speaking of Whaley, ya gotta love his 3! Standing there 3 feet outside the arc, looking to pass and no defender ever made a half-hearted step toward him. No respect at all. So he let it rip. Form looked pretty darned good, and the shot was dead on. Like he does it all the time.
  8. Mark it down. Last night was Bouk's last single digit scoring night as a Husky. His tip-in with 16 minutes left started the comeback, and we took the lead for good with 6 minutes left.
  9. It was a very opportune time for Polley's shot to start falling. Marquette did not have enough bigs to double him on the perimeter AND keep the middle covered.
  10. 12:10 left in 1st half, Gaffney tried a bullet bounce pass on the run, from well outside the arc to a wide open Carlton in the paint. That would be an 80/20 pass to Martin. Might be a 50/50 pass to Whaley or Sanogo. But to Josh? I knew that pass was going over the end line the instant it left Gaffney's hand. That was our 5th turnover. Less than 8 minutes in.
  11. Sanogo started off like gangbusters on offense, but offered virtually no resistance to Garcia and John at the defensive end, and that cost him minutes. Feels disturbingly like a recurring theme.
  12. Will the real Tyrese Martin please stand up? Is he the 9 of 15, 22/10/3 superstar we saw against DePaul, or the 0 of 5, 0/7/0 guy that played last night?
  13. I'm happy with the win. Overjoyed with the comeback. Glad that someone else was able to step up and carry the load when our franchise player was out of sorts. But I can't help but be concerned about the rest of the season. Can't have 15 minutes of gang-who-couldn't-shoot-straight play again and expect to win much.
  14. When was the last game that Whaley led the team in minutes played? I'm going to guess never.

Reaction Score
  1. Marquette's mascot's name is Iggy. Or Icky. Not really sure.
  2. Out rebounded them by 8 on the Dboards, and 6 at the offensive end. We got 60% of the available rebounds. That's stout.
  3. 14 assists on 24 buckets is a substantial improvement. Assisted on 63% of our buckets. We'd been averaging 38%.
  4. I'm pretty sure it's a rule that when you come back from an 18 point 2nd half hole, you're supposed to win by 1 at the end. Maybe 2. Definitely not 11. Never 11. There may be an NCAA fine involved for breaking that rule.
  5. Nobody Husky other than Tyler hit more than one three last night.
  6. If Polley hadn't gone en fuego, We'd be sitting here raving about Whaley's 15 point, 13 board, 3 assist, 2 block and 1 steal in 33 minutes night, With only 2 fouls and 1 TO. I don't think there's any question that this was Zay's best game as a Husky. Previous best was Temple last year (18 & 14 with 2 blocks in 39 minutes, but no dimes, no steals, 4 fouls and 3 TOs).
  7. Speaking of Whaley, ya gotta love his 3! Standing there 3 feet outside the arc, looking to pass and no defender ever made a half-hearted step toward him. No respect at all. So he let it rip. Form looked pretty darned good, and the shot was dead on. Like he does it all the time.
  8. Mark it down. Last night was Bouk's last single digit scoring night as a Husky. His tip-in with 16 minutes left started the comeback, and we took the lead for good with 6 minutes left.
  9. It was a very opportune time for Polley's shot to start falling. Marquette did not have enough bigs to double him on the perimeter AND keep the middle covered.
  10. 12:10 left in 1st half, Gaffney tried a bullet bounce pass on the run, from well outside the arc to a wide open Carlton in the paint. That would be an 80/20 pass to Martin. Might be a 50/50 pass to Whaley or Sanogo. But to Josh? I knew that pass was going over the end line the instant it left Gaffney's hand. That was our 5th turnover. Less than 8 minutes in.
  11. Sanogo started off like gangbusters on offense, but offered virtually no resistance to Garcia and John at the defensive end, and that cost him minutes. Feels disturbingly like a recurring theme.
  12. Will the real Tyrese Martin please stand up? Is he the 9 of 15, 22/10/3 superstar we saw against DePaul, or the 0 of 5, 0/7/0 guy that played last night?
  13. I'm happy with the win. Overjoyed with the comeback. Glad that someone else was able to step up and carry the load when our franchise player was out of sorts. But I can't help but be concerned about the rest of the season. Can't have 15 minutes of gang-who-couldn't-shoot-straight play again and expect to win much.
  14. When was the last game that Whaley led the team in minutes played? I'm going to guess never.

Nice analysis. In point 11, unfortunately you're describing a generic freshman big. I think Sanogo is going to be better as an upperclassman than Josh, but he's just not better now. Too big a defensive liability.

Reaction Score
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

Air Guitar Mojo

Reaction Score
Liked your writeup. I thought Sanogo, Josh, & Whaley played good defense but the Marquette bigs just did well. When we started double teaming we took the game away from their bigs, and we rotated and covered up so well that Marquette couldn't make us pay for the double team. I thought Whaley was stellar in those sequences, and that Sanogo, Carlton, and Polley and all the guards, moved with awareness and rotated well. I think the basketball IQ of the team has increased, Sanogo boxed out their bigs at times and we got team rebounds. I don't underestimate Bouknight's presence on the court as a decoy and screener because that helped Polley get open, but I'm very impressed to beat Marquette without big scoring contributions from Bouk and Martin, and without Cole having his breakout game yet. Think where team confidence is now, and where it could have been without a comeback. Even if we came back with Bouk leading the charge, the story would have been that the team goes as Bouknight goes. Now the story is that we have so many guys to carry us, we just have to find the right mix game to game.

I also liked Gaffney hitting his foul shots, and trying to make a couple of aggressive entry passes that I think he will improve on. Martin's 7 rebounds are a bit misleading with missing his own putbacks and coming away empty at the line. Thought Carlton played strong and active. Watched the last 15 minutes a second time last night, but I don't think I'll ever have the stomach to watch the first 25 again.

Reaction Score
This team is coming together and the future is exciting. Polley had a great game last year and was hurt the very next game. He shoots his avg from three point land and it gets everyone else more space.
Akok coming back , along with Whaley, Carlton and Sanogo, the days of UCONN being pushed around are over.
Our defense will keep us in every game, regardless of who may be having an off shooting night.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And talk about acting like you've been there before.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
So what do you guys see happening on Saturday? I think we take control early and keep it. But I still have a little PTSD from coming out totally flat after a big, emotional win like this. So I'm glad Butler is next. Hope to see Martin come back with another double double or close to it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
3) is a function of Bouk being on or off. When Bouk gets his ( and we are at our best when he does, not creighton levels, but 23 point a game scorer levels) we will have less assists simply because of his offensive creativity. But when bouk is down those assist numbers are encouraging as heck because we know what we have to do to get a bucket. I like how this team is coming together. I hate that its a 'broken' season.

Reaction Score
Garcia is a junior, never did it before and is now good. He was backing us down regardless of defense. Right at Carlton and Sanogo.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
And talk about acting like you've been there before.

ISTR Hurley saying that he wanted Whaley to be more aggressive with his jumper, and that he had given him the green light to shoot it when he's open. That three was the definition of being open.

Kind of reminded me of Hibbard doing that to us a 'few' years back.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think I mentioned this somewhere else last night but I definitely noticed Polley was way more active on defense with his feet and lateral movement during the first half way before he went off shooting. My reaction at the time was he finally looked comfortable and confident moving in game time environments.

That right side basket must have had a curse on it because both teams had 5 or more shots you usually see drop that didn't go in. Cancelled out overall, but it was weird to see so many bunnies missed.

This is the real Tyrese Martin. He's going to have games where he plays like gang busters and other times when he's a non factor. He's a better version of Brendan Adams.

Speaking of Adams and Martin. When they are both on the court and both of their games are off like last night, you get what we saw in the first half. Need one of them to function each game. The two of them can choke a half court offense.

No surprise here, but Whaley is elite covering and hedging on those high pick and rolls. I'm not surprised anymore when he gets steals from guards 25' from the hoop.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Speaking of Adams and Martin. When they are both on the court and both of their games are off like last night, you get what we saw in the first half. Need one of them to function each game. The two of them can choke a half court offense.

But both defend like gangbusters. Adams especially gets floor time just because he can bully opposing guards defensively.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure it's a rule that when you come back from an 18 point 2nd half hole, you're supposed to win by 1 at the end. Maybe 2. Definitely not 11. Never 11. There may be an NCAA fine involved for breaking that rule.

I think it was '95 when we came back from 25 down at Pitt, and won by 10.

Reaction Score
Nice analysis. In point 11, unfortunately you're describing a generic freshman big. I think Sanogo is going to be better as an upperclassman than Josh, but he's just not better now. Too big a defensive liability.

Carlton is a below-average post defender. That Sanogo is noticeably worse is a bit disturbing, but I'm willing to be patient.

Reaction Score
ISTR Hurley saying that he wanted Whaley to be more aggressive with his jumper, and that he had given him the green light to shoot it when he's open. That three was the definition of being open.

I think I remember that (unfortunately I remember a lot of things that never happened, also). Didn't he make two?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
But both defend like gangbusters. Adams especially gets floor time just because he can bully opposing guards defensively.

Not denying that but it comes at a price on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
Agreed on just about everything but the tip in at the 16 minute mark was Whaley, not Bouk. All Bouk’s points were in the 1st half.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Garcia is a junior, never did it before and is now good. He was backing us down regardless of defense. Right at Carlton and Sanogo.
I believe you meant Theo John .?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
seems to be a growing trend lately where 'the old gang' -carlton, whaley, polley, and for some reason in my mind, adams, comes in and just settles things down. the 'smart team' if you will. not our 'best' or 'fastest' or 'most athletic' team, but the right squad at the right time.
props to them, and coach. leadership is a highly valued commodity.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Agreed on just about everything but the tip in at the 16 minute mark was Whaley, not Bouk. All Bouk’s points were in the 1st half.
Brain fart

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think I remember that (unfortunately I remember a lot of things that never happened, also). Didn't he make two?

Thought that was Monroe

Reaction Score
Garcia is a top 40 recruit freshman, the best recruit in the Big East this year.
Mixed him up with their other big. He billed his way in, should be a teaching tape for our bigs.

Reaction Score
If I’m remembering correctly there are a couple key differences. I want to say on Hibbard’s the shot clock was about to expire and he threw a total molecule up there that banked in after a very good defensive possession. Whaley’s came in the flow of the offense and was a good looking shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom